Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the Council's Job?

• 23-05-2013 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

It came up in another thread, but could someone explain what responsibilities the Council actually has? Have they any impact in getting jobs into the city?
    I thought they did but someone else mentioned that they didn't. It would be nice to know what they are there for before I scream at them again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

It came up in another thread, but could someone explain what responsibilities the Council actually has? Have they any impact in getting jobs into the city?
    I thought they did but someone else mentioned that they didn't. It would be nice to know what they are there for before I scream at them again.

They run the city and its public services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

To provide drinking water, motor tax, planning, social housing, street maintenance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

+ sewage and drainage...don't think they provide motor Tax, they just collect it :D.

I know what you meant.....

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

kilburn wrote: »
    To provide drinking water, motor tax, planning, social housing, street maintenance

+ libraries, parks, litter wardens & commercial bins, parking (including traffic wardens :-( ), sewerage services and many others.

Re: attracting jobs, they can only do a certain amount. The rest would be up to the likes of the IDA, Enterprise Ireland and the Dept. Jobs Enterprise and Innovation (Richard Bruton's dept)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

OK, apart from the roads, the water, the sewerage, the street maintenance, the parks, the litter bins,etc. what have the Romans done for us ????????:)

• Advertisement

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    OK, apart from the roads, the water, the sewerage, the street maintenance, the parks, the litter bins,etc. what have the Romans done for us ????????:)

Brought peace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Brought peace?

I'm not seeing much public order in the streets .

As for bringing in jobs I suppose they have a part to play in it .

jonski wrote: »
    I'm not seeing much public order in the streets .

As for bringing in jobs I suppose they have a part to play in it .

Sorry, the peace line was a joke (life of Brian).
    AFAIK, the councils have a role in making it easier to do business in the city (with limited success), but can't organise tax breaks or incentives outside of rates reductions to entice businesses to an area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Visit Galway or Cork on any given Saturday at lunchtime - Once you're finished shopping, strolling and relaxing in those fine well run, well managed cities you should have a pretty clear idea about what Limerick City Councils job should be all about......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

having it top brass earning and spending as much dosh as possible, their salarys are insulting to the ordinary person, add on to that the number of posts which need not be filled, also their expenses and pensions are disgraceful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement