Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whey Protein - Holland and Barrett

• 23-05-2013 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

I've read up about protein shakes and various brands available and spoken to a few people who take them and some who don't and why. I'm new this and will be starting a program in a GYM so i am looking at taking protein shakes and i have seeing Whey Protein half price in Holland Barrett.

Anyone any thoughts on this offer and the product?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Why spirulina? I see it promoted for general wellbeing vitamins and minerals, but I wouldn't use it specifically for protein.
    There are a lot of protein supplement options I'd rank ahead of this, whey, rice , hemp, pea, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Why spirulina? I see it promoted for general wellbeing vitamins and minerals, but I wouldn't use it specifically for protein.
    There are a lot of protein supplement options I'd rank ahead of this, whey, rice , hemp, pea, etc.

I know someone who recommened it to me but was looking to see if anyone on boards had used it before to get their thoughts.

Thanks for your reply. I'm new this and i will be starting a program in the GYM soon so looking at getting more protein in my diet when i can't through my normal diet some days and Protein shakes seems to be the way to go.

Any thoughts on the half price Whey in Holland & Barrett?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

If you're talking bang for your buck www.myprotein.com is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I'd focus on diet before worrying too much about protein, Also holland and barret is best avoided, overpriced rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Definitely go online for supplements. O and get the my fitness pal app. It is a god send.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I'd focus on diet before worrying too much about protein, Also holland and barret is best avoided, overpriced rubbish.

Great advice.
    Holland and Barretts whey protein is muck when compared to other brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

chrismon wrote: »
    Great advice.

That and its always on half price "special" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭listermint

chrismon wrote: »
    Great advice.

Interested to know the reasoning behind this, why is it muck ?

Using this as an example

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=100&prodid=563&cid=47

Genuinely interested on what makes the above example 'muck' or are people just throwing out opinion ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

74% protein and more expensive than whey with a higher protein % (80%+) from suppliers like myprotein/bulkpowders/the protein works/iron science.

ie.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html 82% protein, 1kg is €17.49 and gets cheaper the more you buy.

• Advertisement

74% protein and more expensive than whey with a higher protein % (80%+) from suppliers like myprotein/bulkpowders/the protein works/iron science.

ie.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html 82% protein, 1kg is €17.49 and gets cheaper the more you buy.

Thanks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

Thanks for all the advice on the Protein.

I have a program i signed up for for 5 weeks so during this time i am going to focus on my diet more and after the five weeks i will decide if i need protein shakes or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

listermint wrote: »
    Thanks !

No probs. all of the above companies are well regarded and will save you money. Maybe look into using parcel motel too to avail of UK shipping rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tomm1077

Get your protein from topprosupplements.ie They have some great deals & free shipping if you spend over 50 euro. Also check out bodybuilding.com for info on all supplements. Don't let your gym instructor bully you into buying whatever they have. Do the bit of research & make you're own decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

Me and the mate ordered supplements off H&B the other week (not their protein whey, it's muck).
    Their service is brutal. Took wayyy longer than it should have to be delivered, and when you ring to ask about the order, you'd swear you were putting her out of her way to check it up, the sighing outta her. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mawybee

Personally I use forever lite ultra with aminotein.... Two shakes a day has 100% RDA for vitamins and minerals, It has a blend of enzymes which are specifically designed to break down protein in your diet. It can be used as a meal replacement or an extra meal so women and men use the same one, just in different ways. Its also dairy free and only contains soy. Its also free of Monosodium Glutamate, thank god cause i'm allergic. A much more natural protein than any others i can think of. Look into it. Unfortunately it's only bought through distributors but there is loads of research online proving how good it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MrSpike2012

I've read up about protein shakes and various brands available and spoken to a few people who take them and some who don't and why. I'm new this and will be starting a program in a GYM so i am looking at taking protein shakes and i have seeing Whey Protein half price in Holland Barrett.

Anyone any thoughts on this offer and the product?

DIET is key ....... Supplements are meant to do exactly that.....Supplement your diet. Depending on your goal the following are needed.... Good Multi Vit, Omega 3 Fish Oils, and if your training more then 3 times a week doing resistance exercises, Whey Protein 1.2grams per 1pound of body weight, with BCCAs 30 mintues before training, and L- Glutamine.

HP Nutrition sell these in STACKS are good prices, other online companies do them to. Ask for a STACK combining all the above which turns out cheaper then buying the seperate. Mahers Sports also have good deals also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CharlesMac

The last thing you want to do is buy anything from that place, far far to over priced, if you look around enough online you can get the exact same stuff for nearly half the price

Advertisement