Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First ante-natal appointment at Holles Street?

• 23-05-2013 7:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi, could anyone please shed some light on what to expect at my first ante-natal appointment? I was given a checklist outlining what will happen with the midwife but have no idea what to expect whilst meeting with my consultant.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Are you public or private? If you're public, you prob won't be seen by your own consultant, but whatever doctor happens to be there - when I was there she did a quick mini-scan, and talked to me about screening tests (for Downs, etc) If you haven't got a scan booked then you have to go upstairs to the ultrasound dept and book it yourself - I didn't know this!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Is this your booking in appointment at 12 weeks? Are you a public patient?

At my 12 weeks appointment (I'm going public) I met with the midwife (not a doctor, not sure why!), answered loads of questions about my medical history etc, got weighed, peed in a cup and got my blood taken and my blood pressure. She also examined me in one of the little rooms and did a little scan on the machines they have in there (even though that's not technically part of the appointment, she did it to be nice) so I got to see our little bean and his heartbeat. She checked the heartbeat with a doppler as well. It was very pleasant as my appointment was at 5.30 which was after the main appointments for the day had finished so the midwife had loads of time with me and I didn't wait at all, there was hardly anyone else there.

Just as a heads up if you're going public - at my 20 week appointment when I met my consultant I asked to go to the midwife led clinic as a few people on here had recommended it to me. If you're having a straightforward pregnancy you can just see the midwives unless there is something that needs more attention. The doctor had to sign off to say I was eligible for it. I've found that really great system (I'm 36 weeks now) because the midwives have loads of time for you to chat about how you are etc and I've never waited more than 15 minutes for my appointment. It's also possible to go home early (after one night) if you have a straightforward delivery and the midwives visit you at home for 5 days (if you are in their cachement area which is basically south dublin and the very north of Wicklow). It works well for me so something to be aware of anyway, depending on what you want etc. That 20 week appointment is the only time I've seen a doctor in there and I'm happy enough with that!

Best of luck!

nikpmup wrote: »
    Are you public or private? If you're public, you prob won't be seen by your own consultant, but whatever doctor happens to be there - when I was there she did a quick mini-scan, and talked to me about screening tests (for Downs, etc) If you haven't got a scan booked then you have to go upstairs to the ultrasound dept and book it yourself - I didn't know this!!

Oh yes, book your anomaly scan now! I booked mine at about 7 weeks. I got a letter from the hospital saying if I hadn't done it to call them and it gave a number. I can dig it out if you need it :) I remember it seemed like so far away, thought I'd never get to 20 weeks but it went really quickly!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Ciarabear

Thanks so much for the info, presumably the anomaly scan is the one that I booked and will be having at the 20 week mark?

We're also having a private scan in 2 weeks time, just because it's our first and we're too excited not to have a peek at the little baba! :) Resisting finding out the sex is going to be challenging!

Am I right in thinking that the bulk of this booking appointment will be spent with the midwife with just a brief chat with the consultant?

Ciarabear wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the info, presumably the anomaly scan is the one that I booked and will be having at the 20 week mark?

We're also having a private scan in 2 weeks time, just because it's our first and we're too excited not to have a peek at the little baba! :) Resisting finding out the sex is going to be challenging!

Am I right in thinking that the bulk of this booking appointment will be spent with the midwife with just a brief chat with the consultant?

I'm presuming so, I didn't see a consultant at all at my booking in appointment.

Yep, anomaly scan is one at 20 weeks. I also had a private scan at 9 weeks and brought the report from there to my booking in appointment and they put it on my file. At my 20 week scan the measurements showed the baby was a week earlier. The early private scan also showed that so they changed the due date. Apparently the early scans are very accurate with dates so having the report was handy for them. The midwife said they probably wouldn't have changed my due date if not for the early scan I had.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Ciarabear

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I'm presuming so, I didn't see a consultant at all at my booking in appointment.

Yep, anomaly scan is one at 20 weeks. I also had a private scan at 9 weeks and brought the report from there to my booking in appointment and they put it on my file. At my 20 week scan the measurements showed the baby was a week earlier. The early private scan also showed that so they changed the due date. Apparently the early scans are very accurate with dates so having the report was handy for them. The midwife said they probably wouldn't have changed my due date if not for the early scan I had.

Wow, that's interesting! It never even occurred to me to consider the due date may change based on scan growth -I guess we're most concerned with confirming there's just one in there! :)

Surprised to hear you didn't see a consultant during your booking appointment, I'd have expected that would be a given. Whereas I'm happy to liaise with a midwife, I'd also very much like to speak with a doctor at the first ante-natal appointment too (overtly fussy first-time Mum!)

Is attending the midwife-led clinic an alternative to the combined care that I've been scheduled for? Am beginning to wonder if hospital only appointments would be better than combined care

Wow, that's interesting! It never even occurred to me to consider the due date may change based on scan growth -I guess we're most concerned with confirming there's just one in there! :)

Surprised to hear you didn't see a consultant during your booking appointment, I'd have expected that would be a given. Whereas I'm happy to liaise with a midwife, I'd also very much like to speak with a doctor at the first ante-natal appointment too (overtly fussy first-time Mum!)

Is attending the midwife-led clinic an alternative to the combined care that I've been scheduled for? Am beginning to wonder if hospital only appointments would be better than combined care

No, midwife led clinic is not an alternative to combined care. I still see my GP every second appointment. I wasn't going to do combined care but at my booking in appointment the Midwife didn't give me a choice. She just told me I would be seeing my GP as well which actually has worked really well for me. Less waiting around in the hospital, less travelling to appointments and I have an excellent GP. The GP does exactly the same checks as the midwife and when I had issues (due to hyperemesis) and needed attention they were great in the hospital whenever I had to go in so I didn't feel like I wasn't getting support from them, rather that I had support from two places and plenty of places to turn to (I'm a first time mum too)

What time of day is your appointment? Mine was at 5.30 in the evening which is probably why I only met with the midwife, maybe if yours is earlier you will see a consultant? I saw one at my next appointment anyway but by then I'd been in to the hospital a few times to go on a drip abd to get meds to stop me puking so saw plenty of doctors then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I've always seen a consultant (and the same one) for all of my private appointments - except for two times in 3 pregnancies - and the consultant has always been there - there are just junior doctors there too.

What day of the week is your first booking for? I took the below from the nmh.ie website - for my first pregnancy I was booked in on a Monday morning with Prof Foley - he saw me at each appointment. Then for my 2nd (and now my 3rd) I requested a Monday appointment and have been under him for each one.

for each of my pregnancies the format as being the same. You check in and go to midwife who will weigh you (it is in the waiting room but it is very discrete - no one will know your weight - you're behind a little shield thing and they write it in your chart - I'm heavy enough but have never been embarrassed about getting weighed there) - then you do your urine sample and then your bloods. First visit you'll also medical history with a midwife in another private room. Then you'll be called by doctor/consultant on duty and they'll give you a little scan and check you out - ask a few questions. I have always gotten little pics for my first scans. then what happens is (with Foley anyway) is he says something along the lines of GP in X weeks, back here in Y weeks. (combined care) you then check out - leave your chart there as you've given bloods and make the next appointment for Y weeks time - all your appointments should be on the same day of the week.

I have done combined care on all 3 of my pregnancies - after the delivery of my first (living in south Dublin) I was offered the midwifery care and once I left the hospital within 48 hours (subject to no complications of course) the midwife came out and visited me at home until my son was 5 days old. I couldn't avail of it on my 2nd as we weren't living in south Dublin at the time - but we're back in here now and all going well I'll avail of it on my 3rd. (however, i'm not 100% sure about this either as I'm going to try and stay in hospital as long as possible rather than go home to 2 young children and all the work involved with them!!! - haven't decided yet!!)

anyway, good luck and congrats. I've always found the public system in holles st amazing - I've always gone in for 8am and have NEVER been there longer than 9am (Foley runs his clinic like a military service - hasn't the best bedside manner in the world but is an amazing consultant - friends of mine have paid thousands to see him privately) - the midwives and all the staff are amazing. We also got a few private scans in Mount Carmel and the 3D scan we got about 28 weeks on our first pregnancy in Ultrasound Dimensions in Blackrock was AMAZING....!!!

Hope all goes well - CONGRATULATIONS!

Monday AMProf Michael FoleyTuesday AMDr Declan KeaneTuesday PMProf. Colm O'HerlihyTuesday PMDr Gerard AgnewWednesday AMDr Peter BoylanThursday AMDr Cathy AllenThursday PMDr Orla Sheil

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I went to keane with my 1st and Foley with my 2nd and midwife led unit with my 3rd.

Consultants appointments last about 90 seconds,we used to time them while waiting so don't expect too much,the midwife led unit is a lot more relaxed and the midwife is an absolute pet.

Recently people have said their 1st visit only involved giving blood and a urine sample and they saw the consultant a few weeks later.

Holles st is super busy so if you have a good gp they will be a lot more useful to you then the consultants.

The consultant might give you a mini scan,will feel your tummy and that is about it for every visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

I haven't had my first hospital visit yet (next week all going well) but from the information I was given in the leaflet and from other people telling me, it is not usual to see a consultant at your booking visit. It is usually literally just to get you 'in the system' confirm your pregnancy and you only see a consultant if something in your situation or history leads the midwife to feel it necessary. There are times when a consultant might pop in for a brief moment, but if you don't see a doctor, don't be surprised.

Highly111 - it is different when you go fully private as you are paying the consultant fees and therefore are going to see them at every visit. Public and Semi-private is different - usually you won't see the consultant at every appointment.

• Advertisement

Highly111 - it is different when you go fully private as you are paying the consultant fees and therefore are going to see them at every visit. Public and Semi-private is different - usually you won't see the consultant at every appointment.

I was talking about going public - I've never gone private. I had another public appointment in Holles St yesterday and I was in an out in 25 minutes and I saw the consultant.

I have only ever gone public in Holles St and I have only ever been under Dr. Foley and his clinic so obviously different clinics in different hospitals have different ways of doing things. I was just explaining to the OP my experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Sorry - it's just that you said in your post that
    highly1111 wrote:
    I've always seen a consultant (and the same one) for all of my private appointments
    so that led me to believe you were a private patient.

Good to see my baby brain is as sharp as usual!! ;-)

Advertisement