Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voluntary Ambulance Services

Options
  • 23-05-2013 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I recently completed a nursing studies course (fetac level 5) which also included an occupational first aid module.

I am interested in pursuing a career in the emergency services rather than general nursing and I was wondering which voluntary ambulance/emergency services would people recommend as being beneficial for experience/further training/helpful with a career as an EMT or paramedic?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Any of them. If you're Dublin based then some units of Dublin Civil Defence don't deal in casualty just Auxiliary Fire Service or Rescue. All organisations (including the professional ambulances, public or private) are trained to the standard set out by the Pre Hospital Emergency Care Council. (PHECC, yes we do refer to them as "feck") I suggest you take a visit to their website www.phecc.ie to see what organisations they cover and contact details for the organisations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

It varies from county to county. Some units are busier than others, and some have a better reputation than others. Just a heads up though, you will have to put in a lot of time into these units before getting any major experience or knowlege, but once again, it varies from unit to unit.

The main ones are:

St Johns Ambulance
    Order of Malta
    Red Cross
    Civil Defence

If you want to say where you live I'm sure there are people on here that could give you some advice.

Advertisement