Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Bank League 2013-2014 talk/gossip/rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Am at it, reasonable crowd. Belvo are defensively so passive! If you'd never seen the league before or the table you'd think Garryowen were going for the league! I See Tarf are leading hinch too. Belvo need H/T, Cunningham pulling his hair out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Belvo's finishing has been dire - guys going for glory

Still think they have enough in the tank to win this in the 2nd half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

keps wrote: »
    Yep - now 14-7 to Garryowen

Ref very biased:):)
    No he's not. What decisions do you disagree with?

In Division 2 playoffs Highfield lead Thomond 10-7 at halftime and Kanturk lead Instonians 10-6

keps wrote: »
    Belvo's finishing has been dire - guys going for glory

Still think they have enough in the tank to win this in the 2nd half

Would've said Garryowen's defence been reason, the wing for Belvo got hit solidly twice to prevent 2 tries. Thought Gylnn should've dummied and gone himself the 1st time, would've gotten over.

Belvo are falling off tackles too easily. McNulty on the wing looks handy!

In Division 2 playoffs Highfield lead Thomond 10-7 at halftime and Kanturk lead Instonians 10-6

A few of Garryowen lads going off their feet at the breakdown and he's given a few penalties for holding on instead, think he's been a bit off a breakdown. I've it recording at home so will watch it again and see but is just my opinion on 1st view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

I put 2 smilies after that comment- did you not see them

( a bit like - the piano has been drinking -not me)

Jeez that was superb from Garryowen! Great retention! Hinch are 13-13 now with Tarf!!!!!

Leo Auva should be whipped off. That was pathetic, am behind the goals Gowen are playing and he just let the Garryowen 8 run through. He might as well have rolled out the red carpet. Belvo don't deserve to win this game! Defence is PATHETIC

Kanturk beat Instonians 17-13 to become a senior club for the first time and send Instonians back to junior rugby. Knock on affects to all junior rugby divisions in Munster as a result of Kanturks win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

What a cracking finish 20-15, Garryowen playing with 14 for a few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Thomond also go up meaning 4 new teams in 2B next year.

Tarf leading by 14. Game over in Dooradoyle, 8 points is too much. Garryowen are very composed

23-18 now, 2 minutes left!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Harsh final call there with some pretty clear blocking at the breakdown but Garryowen well worth the win from what I've seen

Belvedere get to 10 metres out and concede a penalty! Game over Clontarf are champs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Great game in Dooradoyle, thanks for showing it RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Delighted for Clontarf. Hasn't been as unlucky a club in my memory. They've been thereabouts every season for over a decade while other teams have won and fallen away massively over the same time.

If anyone is in Clontarf today, there's about 30k people there for the Battle of Clontarf 1,000 year commemoration weekend. The place will be even more nuts this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Winters wrote: »
    Great game in Dooradoyle, thanks for showing it RTE.

That's all they are reduced t now.

Whilst the AIL league is only a pale shadow of what it used to be, it's always good to see a relegated team but in a good effort.

Belvedere will be very disappointed with that. Garryowen were excellent.

2013/2014 ups and downs
    1A
    Champions: Clontarf
    Playoff with 2nd in 1B: Ballynahinch
    Relegated: Garryowen

1B
    Champions: Terenure
    playoff with 2nd bottom in 1A: Buccaneers
    Relegated: Dungannon, Blackrock

2A
    Champions: Galwegians
    Promoted: Ballymena
    Relegated: Highfield, Old Crescent, Bruff

2B
    Champions: Nenagh
    Promoted: Skerries, Thomond
    Relegated: Suttonians, Instonians

RR
    Promoted: Wanderers, Kanturk

Next seasons divisions
    1A
    Old Belvedere, Clontarf, Lansdowne, UCD, Cork Constitution, St Marys, Young Munster, Dolphin, Terenure, Buccaneers

1B
    Garryowen, Ballynahinch, Corinthians, UL Bohemians, Shannon, Belfast Harlequins, Dublin University, Malone, Galwegians, Ballymena

2A
    Dungannon, Blackrock College, City of Derry, UCC, Queens University, NUIM Barnhall, Cashel, Banbridge, Old Wesley, Rainey Old Boys, Bective Rangers, Seapoint, Naas, Nenagh Ormond, Skerries, Thomond

2B
    Highfield, Old Crescent, Bruff, Greystones, Tullamore, Armagh, Navan, Richmond, Sundays Well, Midleton, De La Salle Palmerston, Ards, Sligo, Boyne, Wanderers, Kanturk

• Advertisement

Belvedere will be very disappointed with that. Garryowen were excellent.

2013/2014 ups and downs
    1A
    Champions: Clontarf
    Playoff with 2nd in 1B: Ballynahinch
    Relegated: Garryowen

1B
    Champions: Terenure
    playoff with 2nd bottom in 1A: Buccaneers
    Relegated: Dungannon, Blackrock

2A
    Champions: Galwegians
    Promoted: Ballymena
    Relegated: Highfield, Old Crescent, Bruff

2B
    Champions: Nenagh
    Promoted: Skerries, Thomond
    Relegated: Suttonians, Instonians

RR
    Promoted: Wanderers, Kanturk

Next seasons divisions
    1A
    Old Belvedere, Clontarf, Lansdowne, UCD, Cork Constitution, St Marys, Young Munster, Dolphin, Terenure, Buccaneers

1B
    Garryowen, Ballynahinch, Corinthians, UL Bohemians, Shannon, Belfast Harlequins, Dublin University, Malone, Galwegians, Ballymena

2A
    Dungannon, Blackrock College, City of Derry, UCC, Queens University, NUIM Barnhall, Cashel, Banbridge, Old Wesley, Rainey Old Boys, Bective Rangers, Seapoint, Naas, Nenagh Ormond, Skerries, Thomond

2B
    Highfield, Old Crescent, Bruff, Greystones, Tullamore, Armagh, Navan, Richmond, Sundays Well, Midleton, De La Salle Palmerston, Ards, Sligo, Boyne, Wanderers, Kanturk

Bit early for predicting Ballynahinch's fate :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Rightwing wrote: »
    Bit early for predicting Ballynahinch's fate :)

it certainly is...

Unbelievable turn of events today, hats off to Garryowen for their performance today. I thought we had blown it once again with the last 2 defeats. Its going to be some week in the meadow of the bull...

For next season we're looking at 6 Dublin teams in 1A, 2 cork, 1 Limerick + Hinch or buccs.
    Limerick's representation has gone from Shannon, UL Bohs, Garryowen and YM to YM in 2 seasons.

bamboozle wrote: »
    it certainly is...

Unbelievable turn of events today, hats off to Garryowen for their performance today. I thought we had blown it once again with the last 2 defeats. Its going to be some week in the meadow of the bull...

For next season we're looking at 6 Dublin teams in 1A, 2 cork, 1 Limerick + Hinch or buccs.
    Limerick's representation has gone from Shannon, UL Bohs, Garryowen and YM to YM in 2 seasons.

Ya, how many titles have they between them, must be about 10?

But once the game went professional, the numbers weren't there to sustain that amount of clubs,

it certainly is...

Not great for Limerick rugby or AIL for such a domination by clubs in Dublin and shame we wont have a representative from each province in the top flight
    Ya, how many titles have they between them, must be about 10?

But once the game went professional, the numbers weren't there to sustain that amount of clubs,
    It hasn't been since game went professional that there has been issues. Its been much later than that and downturn in economy and all that. Move of so many players from Limerick past 3/4 seasons away to Dublin etc affected them so much more than Dublin clubs.

9 Titles for Shannon, 3 Garryowen, 1 YM

Not great for Limerick rugby or AIL for such a domination by clubs in Dublin and shame we wont have a representative from each province in the top flight

It hasn't been since game went professional that there has been issues. Its been much later than that and downturn in economy and all that. Move of so many players from Limerick past 3/4 seasons away to Dublin etc affected them so much more than Dublin clubs.

9 Titles for Shannon, 3 Garryowen, 1 YM

Thought Shannon had 8! I agree it's disappointing to see traditional clubs like them fall.

You seem to know a lot about the AIL. With Garryowen down, are Cork Con now the only club who have been in the top flight since it's inception?

Thought Shannon had 8! I agree it's disappointing to see traditional clubs like them fall.

You seem to know a lot about the AIL. With Garryowen down, are Cork Con now the only club who have been in the top flight since it's inception?
    No Shannon have the 4 in a row in the 90s, 1 in 01-02, 3 in a row from 04-06 and then 08-09.
    Hard to say whats up with Shannon. They've had strong underage sides and still had others to come in who wouldn't play youths rugby as they're in schools Senior/Junior squads but don't seem to be able to get it at senior level. Im fairly sure that Con are only side to remain in the top flight.

No Shannon have the 4 in a row in the 90s, 1 in 01-02, 3 in a row from 04-06 and then 08-09.
    Hard to say whats up with Shannon. They've had strong underage sides and still had others to come in who wouldn't play youths rugby as they're in schools Senior/Junior squads but don't seem to be able to get it at senior level. Im fairly sure that Con are only side to remain in the top flight.

Spot on.

Hard to believe clontarf never won one until today, I can remember them losing a few finals.

Total wins by club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wooo!! G'wan the Tarf! Absolutely delighted for the seniors, played some great rugby this season and happy for Andy Wood who comes across as a genuinely nice bloke.

They can play the baabaas match on Wednesday with no strings attached now. Should be a good game of running rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dover144

Berticus wrote: »
    How is Mick McGrath not on that list! He can't be far off a try a game!

Another try today just proved he should be there

Spot on.

Hard to believe clontarf never won one until today, I can remember them losing a few finals.

Total wins by club
    Yeah they'd lost at least 3 finals over the years if I remember correctly.
    Dover144 wrote: »
    Another try today just proved he should be there
    He'll get the award for most trys. Other players to go for main award

• Advertisement

Leo Auv'a cost Belvo the league today. How that fella has played for Leinster is beyond me!! I was down in Limerick to watch today and he just looked disinterested! I mean how can a player be disinterested in the last game of the season when your on to win the league. Belvo were far from at the races as a collective be Auv'a was at the centre of all there mistakes. garryowens opening score, Leo knocks on from Kickoff, they get territory and score, missed about 10 tackles in each half, one on his opposite number and they won a pen from it to go 8 ahead. I was disgusted by him! (and i was a neutral).

Congrats to Tarf, been outstanding all year apart from the blip of late but thoroughly deserved this win after a long wait. Mick McGrath for a Pro Contract! The guy is just (as the Tarf have said so many times) unstoppabull

Leo Auv'a cost Belvo the league today. How that fella has played for Leinster is beyond me!! I was down in Limerick to watch today and he just looked disinterested! I mean how can a player be disinterested in the last game of the season when your on to win the league. Belvo were far from at the races as a collective be Auv'a was at the centre of all there mistakes. garryowens opening score, Leo knocks on from Kickoff, they get territory and score, missed about 10 tackles in each half, one on his opposite number and they won a pen from it to go 8 ahead. I was disgusted by him! (and i was a neutral).

Congrats to Tarf, been outstanding all year apart from the blip of late but thoroughly deserved this win after a long wait. Mick McGrath for a Pro Contract! The guy is just (as the Tarf have said so many times) unstoppabull

I suppose it was fitting that a limerick club handed the title to clontarf, they lost enough to shannon over the years. Shame the league has fallen away so badly, fair play for supporting your team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Spot on.

Total wins by club

It's interesting how Munster clubs used to dominate the league game in the early seasons pre and post professionalism but it seems to have swung heavily in Leinster clubs favour recently, I wonder how much of that has to do with clubs now having a lot of academy players from Leinster and not just those who didn't make it. It seems a lot more schools players continue into the club game compared to my day, when mostly schools was your rugby career and not many would go on to play at club level.

Also I must add, as a Belvo fan, this is absolutely sickening.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    It's interesting how Munster clubs used to dominate the league game in the early seasons pre and post professionalism but it seems to have swung heavily in Leinster clubs favour recently, I wonder how much of that has to do with clubs now having a lot of academy players from Leinster and not just those who didn't make it. It seems a lot more schools players continue into the club game compared to my day, when mostly schools was your rugby career and not many would go on to play at club level.

Coincided hugely with Economic down turn, a lot of Munster club players relocating for work to Dublin. That and mass emigration has helped in Munster either. Player pool too small in Limerick for 4 division 1a/b clubs and 4 divsion 2a/b clubs. Really as swung in the Dubs favour

[Jackass] wrote: »

Not really linked a huge amount with academy players though possibly more players are continuing in the sport after finishing school and are going on to play AIL.
    As NPTV says the playing pool in Limerick isn't huge and with a lot more emigration compared to Dublin the strength of teams will be affected more.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mightymonster

Lots of domestic migration to Dublin from native Munster players having a two fold impact . Munster clubs are loosing quality players who in turn are adding strength to Dublin sides . Dublin's. relative economic prosperity is offering greater professional career pathways for players that have decided by choice or otherwise to limit themselves as club players . Various inducements to reduce the cost of living in Dublin offered by cash rich Dublin clubs are an added attraction .
    Not really linked a huge amount with academy players though possibly more players are continuing in the sport after finishing school and are going on to play AIL.
    As NPTV says the playing pool in Limerick isn't huge and with a lot more emigration compared to Dublin the strength of teams will be affected more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Are Dublin clubs that cash rich?

Lots of domestic migration to Dublin from native Munster players having a two fold impact . Munster clubs are losing quality players who in turn are adding strength to Dublin sides . Dublin's. relative economic prosperity is offering greater professional career pathways for players that have decided by choice or otherwise to limit themselves as club players . Various inducements to reduce the cost of living in Dublin offered by cash rich Dublin clubs are an added attraction .
    Limerick affected more than most players as city not doing that great and more clubs than most places. Cork bigger city and way fewer clubs especially div1 quality.
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    Are Dublin clubs that cash rich?
    Probably are that bit more than clubs elsewhere

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Lots of domestic migration to Dublin

Taking our jobs and pushing up our rent shakes fist in anger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭thirteen.

Shots from the 'tarf game: https://www.flickr.com/photos/120841513@N07/sets/72157644163945321/

Great day for Clontarf Rugby, the reaction in the bar when the final whistle went in the Belvo game was something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

I think the Welsh team's tactics in the WC put paid to the impact the likes of A'auva can have in any game, it doesnt matter how big they are if they are chopped at the ankles with a follow up tackler hitting higher they will fall, in this case even the AIL clubs got used to dealing with him.

Great season end for Clontarf, it had looked like the UCD and Lansdowne defeats had handed the title to Old B. but finally we got a bit of luck, we lost 3 AIL final to Ballymena (they dumped about 9 Ulster players into their team for final) Shannon (playing a few of their big hitters, Quinlan was 1, and then the worst of all being the drawn final where Shannon were awarded the trophy as they scored the games first try.)

The AIL keeps improving in standard, it helps that academy and development players are getting game time (though non AIL regulars would be surprised that the academy players dont stand out a mile) while i think the general standard has improved also. the IRFU bringing back the top 4 play-off is a great move, while the introduction of friday night matches has seen larger crowds at games and packed bars afterwards.

Next season is already looking interesting, with 1 Limerick team it would make sense that the cream of Limerick academy talent be made available to YM to ensure a strong presence while i'm sure they will be able to attract some good 1A standard limerick players. 6 Dublin teams brings both good and bad, Terenure's welcome return will see 6 teams fighting out for the Dublin talent, the likes of Trinity's prop Martin Kelly has been doing very well for Leinster A's and i'm sure there will be teams trying to sign him. UCD will face a challenge holding onto Barry Daly, Ed Byrne, Jordan Coughlan, Luke McGrath, James Tracey, if they do they'll be strong next season as their players will have learned a lot this year.

Great season end for Clontarf, it had looked like the UCD and Lansdowne defeats had handed the title to Old B. but finally we got a bit of luck, we lost 3 AIL final to Ballymena (they dumped about 9 Ulster players into their team for final)

I remember being quite irked by that. Paddy Wallace, James Topping, Simon Young, Adam Larkin, Paul Shields, Bryan Young, Mark Blair, Gary Longwell, Matt McCullough, Neil McMillan and Russell Nelson started for Ballymena that day. All of them had been playing for Ulster that season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

I think the Welsh team's tactics in the WC put paid to the impact the likes of A'auva can have in any game, it doesnt matter how big they are if they are chopped at the ankles with a follow up tackler hitting higher they will fall, in this case even the AIL clubs got used to dealing with him.

Great season end for Clontarf, it had looked like the UCD and Lansdowne defeats had handed the title to Old B. but finally we got a bit of luck, we lost 3 AIL final to Ballymena (they dumped about 9 Ulster players into their team for final) Shannon (playing a few of their big hitters, Quinlan was 1, and then the worst of all being the drawn final where Shannon were awarded the trophy as they scored the games first try.)

The AIL keeps improving in standard, it helps that academy and development players are getting game time (though non AIL regulars would be surprised that the academy players dont stand out a mile) while i think the general standard has improved also. the IRFU bringing back the top 4 play-off is a great move, while the introduction of friday night matches has seen larger crowds at games and packed bars afterwards.

Next season is already looking interesting, with 1 Limerick team it would make sense that the cream of Limerick academy talent be made available to YM to ensure a strong presence while i'm sure they will be able to attract some good 1A standard limerick players. 6 Dublin teams brings both good and bad, Terenure's welcome return will see 6 teams fighting out for the Dublin talent, the likes of Trinity's prop Martin Kelly has been doing very well for Leinster A's and i'm sure there will be teams trying to sign him. UCD will face a challenge holding onto Barry Daly, Ed Byrne, Jordan Coughlan, Luke McGrath, James Tracey, if they do they'll be strong next season as their players will have learned a lot this year.

Martin Kelly has signed for Munster next season - Leinster not too happy about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Strange how no one ever seems happy about a player switching province to try and better themselves ! We should appoint an IRFU Performance Director to oversee such issues ?

• Advertisement

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Strange how no one ever seems happy about a player switching province to try and better themselves ! We should appoint an IRFU Performance Director to oversee such issues ?

Why would they be?

All the best to anyone that does it but I don't think the team they're leaving or the supporters can be expected to be particularly happy about it. They'll have invested in them in the hope of a return.

In the case of Kelly, who has been offered a development deal, I don't think people can be too miffed about it given the queue in front of him. He's very promising though and I'm sure Leinster would have had ambitions of bringing him into the senior squad in the next couple of seasons with Ross winding down and Moore (and possibly Furlong) on international duty.

I'm sure a big factor in anywhere he goes though would have been where he could secure a medical placement given he's coming towards the end of his degree in Trinity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 yuinc

Munster cant develop there own TH props no?

yuinc wrote: »
    Munster cant develop there own TH props no?

Says the lads with a Corkman in there frontrow..... but anyway. Does it really matter? I'm only happy to see AIL Talent rewarded as is so rare that the lads playing grassroots are given a shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Buer wrote: »
    I remember being quite irked by that. Paddy Wallace, James Topping, Simon Young, Adam Larkin, Paul Shields, Bryan Young, Mark Blair, Gary Longwell, Matt McCullough, Neil McMillan and Russell Nelson started for Ballymena that day. All of them had been playing for Ulster that season.

Who is Russell Nelson? I've never heard of him.

Who is Russell Nelson? I've never heard of him.

South African who played a couple of seasons with Ulster as a fringe player:

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/statzone/players.php?player=4314&includeref=dynamic

• Advertisement
Advertisement