Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** HL Physics Before / after **

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

6 iii a 1.128x10^-3 , b 7651.5 m/s
    v 3.88x10^6, 5.4274x10^22

Did anyone else get those?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

q7 was tricky I thought? For drawing out the diagram of the sound waves, what did ye do?? I did the first 4 harmonics but then scribbled out the second!
    yes it was! i wondered wether the 1st harmonic they gave was the 1st harmonic/fundemantal but their was no way of knowing as it could be divided it self by 2 to give lower harmonic i drew the graphs asuming it was the 1st. but the last part of the question when they asked for the tension how did u get the mass per unit length?! i stood their thinking about if for ages wondering weather to divided the mass given by the total length of 12m or the length taken of 64!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xJEx

decisions wrote: »

I only got the first two. but i think im wrong cause that sounds right based on the actual mass of the earth. how did you caculate the force??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

q7 was tricky I thought? For drawing out the diagram of the sound waves, what did ye do?? I did the first 4 harmonics but then scribbled out the second!
    I drew this with frequencies 550, 1100, 1651 going from top to bottom:
    Open-Open-Pipe.jpg
    xJEx wrote: »
    I looked up the diagram in the book and the points are slightly off there too. To be honest, mine looked fairly similiar to the straight line in the book :/
    I'm not saying I am right, I was just explaining my thought process. In the exam, I was thinking a thin conductor was similar to a filament in a bulb. I dunno the answer and am anxious about it. However, taking the slope between each point and the previous point, the slope decreases in steepness every time.

• Advertisement

I only got the first two. but i think im wrong cause that sounds right based on the actual mass of the earth. how did you caculate the force??

I used the period to calculate the mass of the earth and then used that to get the force of attraction. I'm not sure how to get the force of attraction without the mass of the earth.

Anyone have answers for the Q8 calculations?

ahmdoda wrote: »
    yes it was! i wondered wether the 1st harmonic they gave was the 1st harmonic/fundemantal but their was no way of knowing as it could be divided it self by 2 to give lower harmonic i drew the graphs asuming it was the 1st. but the last part of the question when they asked for the tension how did u get the mass per unit length?! i stood their thinking about if for ages wondering weather to divided the mass given by the total length of 12m or the length taken of 64!

yeah I messed up the diagrams coz I realized then when I had to calculate the speed of sound from them than the 2nd and 3rd wouldnt work. I changed them around to suit that then and I got speed of sound to be 330ms in all three. Did anyone use a formula other than c=f[lambda]... I was getting paranoid trying to use the 4(l+0.3d) formula

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xJEx

I used the period to calculate the mass of the earth and then used that to get the force of attraction. I'm not sure how to get the force of attraction without the mass of the earth.

Yeah that was my problem.. I tried to get the centripetal acceleration and then used F=ma :/

Pretty much the same. My mass of the earth came out as 5.95x10^22, but I had carried all nine decimal places of ω up to that point which may have accounted for the difference.

yeah I messed up the diagrams coz I realized then when I had to calculate the speed of sound from them than the 2nd and 3rd wouldnt work. I changed them around to suit that then and I got speed of sound to be 330ms in all three. Did anyone use a formula other than c=f[lambda]... I was getting paranoid trying to use the 4(l+0.3d) formula
    i dont think their is another forumula to use but yea it should workout to be 330

• Advertisement

I used F=mrw^2 with m being the mass of the ISS.

It was centripetal force formula to get the force of attraction.

then equate this answer with newtons universal gravitation formula to get mass of earth.

and lastly period of ISS sattelite had to equal period of this new sattelite as they were geostationary. I got something like 10000000 seconds

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I used F=mrw^2 with m being the mass of the ISS.

I totally forgot about that formula! What I did was correct anyway, just not the way they wanted me to do it.

The last part of that q was 24hrs for a geostationary orbit? I didn't put it into seconds properly :(

That other formula was only for closed pipes AFAIK. You were grand not using it.
    and lastly period of ISS sattelite had to equal period of this new sattelite as they were geostationary. I got something like 10000000 seconds
    I said the period had to be the same as the earth rotation for it to remain above the same location at all times, i.e. 24hours which came out to 86400 seconds or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭no scope codgod

I looked up the diagram in the book and the points are slightly off there too. To be honest, mine looked fairly similiar to the straight line in the book :/

It wouldn't have been a straight line the whole way. The book specifies that it is only within this limit that it is directly proportional. As you increase the Current there will be a heating effect, causing the resistance to rise as well. This explains why the graph started to curve slightly toward the higher values for the voltage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Why did the astronauts "appear" to be weightless?

Jackobyte wrote: »
    That other formula was only for closed pipes AFAIK. You were grand not using it.

I said the period had to be the same as the earth rotation for it to remain above the same location at all times, i.e. 24hours which came out to 86400 seconds or so.

but I thought it had to be the same as the ISS orbit as this is what it was geostationary with? damn i think i was wrong

The ISS is in a constant state of free fall towards the earth.

In 10 why was the tube evacuated?

State of freefall due to gravity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Orladee

ItsCon wrote: »
    Does anybody know if they're putting the values back on the paper or if we'll have to use log book again? There was a lot of problems last year with people taking values at different decimal places which gave a wide range of correct answers

Ahh they did that again this year. very annoying!

• Advertisement

5 (e) 1.239x10^8 ??? The speed of light in a diamond.

Damn I ****ed up q6... for q5... last bit what was the answers for (J) minimum frequency of photon

OR

event occurring in LED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

So it was a vacuum so the particles wouldn't collide with air particles

Damn I ****ed up q6... for q5... last bit what was the answers for (J) minimum frequency of photon

OR

event occurring in LED

F=2mc^2/h?

Undeadfred wrote: »
    So it was a vacuum so the particles wouldn't collide with air particles
    that what i said! but my then people said because alpha praticles had a short range in air :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Damn that is good! I said centrifugal force but I knew it had to be wrong cause that's not even on the course in any big way!

F=2mc^2/h?

I had that but thought the answer would need to contain unknowns as it was an expression so I changed it to something which in hindsight was stupid jesus what an annoying question.

if I answer both options for J will they take my best one?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

It was centripetal force formula to get the force of attraction.

then equate this answer with newtons universal gravitation formula to get mass of earth.

For geostationary I didn't do any calculation? In our book it had a bit where it said that if an object was geostationary its period is 24 hours, same as the earth so I just wrote that down?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Orladee

q5 was tough ya what was the principle of storage heater??

Is it not the Specific Latent Heat? takes it in at night cheaply and lets it out slowly, or is that even a principle?

• Advertisement

F=2mc^2/h?

Yeah, E=2mc^2. I went a step further and filled in the mass of the electron though to solve for a specific value. Wasn't sure whether they wanted that done or not.

EDIT: Crap, never went and found the corresponding frequency from E=hf. Did extra questions in that section anyway so hopefully I still have 8 right ones.

Advertisement