Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** HL Physics Before / after **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 worrx

worrx wrote: »
    OKKKKK Someone help me cause I am killing myself over this. For the speed of the proton in Q 10, was the answer 1.2x10^7
    or was it 2.89x10^16 ? I know the answer are extremely different BUT I got really confused and first used 1/2mv^2=qV and then cancelled that out and simply did 1/2mv^2= kinetic energy ....

I just realised my first method was right, so does anyone know if they would give you marks for a crossed out equation & its answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

Kingkumar wrote: »
    i dont think that matter's. if u multiply by .64 ur getting the mass of 64cm of the string. mew is mass per unit length kg/m

I thought it meant mass for that length of string.haha ive never used that formula before

decisions wrote: »
    I got 2.9x10^16?

But wouldn't you have to convert the 700 keV to Joules for the kinetic energy formula?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

worrx wrote: »
    But wouldn't you have to convert the 700 keV to Joules for the kinetic energy formula?
    Balls!

I need to avoid this thread.

Balls!

I need to avoid this thread.

I did that first & then cancelled it out! GAH!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

I got 2.9x10^16?

You got faster than the speed of light? :P

It's the other one ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Ya I got two answers and took the one that was just under speed of light

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

After realising for the Boyles experiment I did the entire thing say that length was inversely proportional to pressure instead of volume that was inversely proportional . . . ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Moilleadoir

How many marks do you think I would lose for using electron mass instead of proton mass in q10? Stupid, I know, I was expecting the masses to be given, I didn't even think! :/

How many marks do you think I would lose for using electron mass instead of proton mass in q10? Stupid, I know, I was expecting the masses to be given, I didn't even think! :/

just a -3 job I would reckon

• Advertisement

For q12 (d) what temperature did you guys get for the thermocouple measuring an emf of 375mewF or something....? I think I got around 38/39 degrees celcius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

For q12 (d) what temperature did you guys get for the thermocouple measuring an emf of 375mewF or something....? I think I got around 38/39 degrees celcius!
    thats what i got i used the slope to find it out got 39.something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Yeah, 39.19 IIRC.

EDIT: I didn't use a graph or anything, just used 319/815 and multiplied by 100. Was that the right procedure?

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Yeah, 39.19 IIRC.

EDIT: I didn't use a graph or anything, just used 319/815 and multiplied by 100. Was that the right procedure?

I hope so... not sure how the slope could have been used as the graph in question was for something else??

Yeah I used the same procedure as you, pretty sure that was the one they wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Yay! I got 39.something :p

did everyone get 24 hours q.6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

I hope so... not sure how the slope could have been used as the graph in question was for something else??

Yeah I used the same procedure as you, pretty sure that was the one they wanted.
    i said that the graph is going to be a straight line and worked out its slope then used the other point with the unkown and let it equals to the slope dono if its the right method but the answer worked out

ahmdoda wrote: »
    i said that the graph is going to be a straight line and worked out its slope then used the other point with the unkown and let it equals to the slope dono if its the right method but the answer worked out

Ya that should work. Problem is the graph might not be a straight line but I don't think they gve us enough information to think otherwise, I could be wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Only home now, I had a crash course in music during the afternoon! I thought that test was alright. I'd done f*ck all study for it because I was pouring all of my efforts into chemistry but I think I may have scraped a B1. I did 1,2,3,5,9,10,11,12 and then went back and attempted 6 & 7 towards the end. :P

Probably going to unfollow this thread now though, if I made a balls of it I don't want to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

Anyone do q 11? What motion? And what equation for acceleration??

Also in the particle physics what was the historical relevance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭football girl

Anyone do q 11? What motion? And what equation for acceleration??

Also in the particle physics what was the historical relevance?

I think that its the first artificial transmutation of a nucleus and verifies Einsteins photoelectric equation.
    SHM too I think!

Will i get marks for first splitting of an atom?

Also what equations did you use??

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭football girl

Yeah, I dont see why not! Did anybody get any definite info about the v vs I graph....ie linear or curved? I didnt do that q but I'm curious! In the book, for a metalic conductor it's a straight line graph, but after last years pendulum exp question it's anybodies guess!

Will i get marks for first splitting of an atom?

Also what equations did you use??

7 li 3 + 1 H 1
    > 4he2 +4he2 +energy

• Registered Users Posts: 6 magic9911

Yeah, I dont see why not! Did anybody get any definite info about the v vs I graph....ie linear or curved? I didnt do that q but I'm curious! In the book, for a metalic conductor it's a straight line graph, but after last years pendulum exp question it's anybodies guess!

When I first took a look at the question I was sure it will be curved at the top, after I ploted the points on the graph it looked very like linear so I just did a straight line and I adjusted the diagram and put the metallic conductor in a beaker of water to cool it down to keep the resistance constant. I don't know if it's a definite but I haven't seen anyone doing that and it could be it?

7 li 3 + 1 H 1
    > 4he2 +4he2 +energy

Things but I meant question 11? Did you say it was SHM and then use SHM formulae? To get a in terms of S and T?

Things but I meant question 11? Did you say it was SHM and then use SHM formulae? To get a in terms of S and T?

Use the SHM formula and replace w with 2pi over T

magic9911 wrote: »
    When I first took a look at the question I was sure it will be curved at the top, after I ploted the points on the graph it looked very like linear so I just did a straight line and I adjusted the diagram and put the metallic conductor in a beaker of water to cool it down to keep the resistance constant. I don't know if it's a definite but I haven't seen anyone doing that and it could be it?

The guy knew what he was doing.he chose those figures for a reason.I think personally he wanted us to say it was curved.non linear.and then give the whole rant as would do with filament bulb.i did all 4 experiments anyway just in case :P

Use the SHM formula and replace w with 2pi over T

Did you get like .109m/s2?

• Advertisement

Did you get like .109m/s2?

I think mine was smaller Im not sure though... anyone else?

Advertisement