Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** HL Physics Before / after **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 bigt132

What did people do for the Boyle's Law question? Were you meant to know what set of values was volume and what one was pressure, couldn't it have theoretically been either or? And could you choose if the given volume was in mm^3, cm^3 or m^3 or would it have had to have been mm^3 using a Boyle's Law apparatus? I just let it be in m^3 cos I was confused but that's fairly unrealistic..

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

I think mine was smaller Im not sure though... anyone else?

What did you do for it? I did (2pi^2/17^2) x 0.8??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

What did you do for it? I did (2pi^2/17^2) x 0.8??

Is that .8 in terms of metres??

and is the amplitude just 17... I think that is what I did

Is that .8 in terms of metres??

and is the amplitude just 17... I think that is what I did

Damn it! 0.8cm! f*ck! bye A1 was so close :(

Also wtf is the definition of the unit of charge!? I cant find it anywhere!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

Also wtf is the definition of the unit of charge!? I cant find it anywhere!?

Yeah that one was a weird one, my phys teacher agreed. It's that charge which, if passing a point in a conductor every second, produces a current of 1A.

D_s wrote: »
    Yeah that one was a weird one, my phys teacher agreed. It's that charge which, if passing a point in a conductor every second, produces a current of 1A.

F*ck I totally made a b*lls of that q that and q 6 :(

Damn it! 0.8cm! f*ck! bye A1 was so close :(

Thats hardly the A1 gone its one question which youll get most marks for anyway. did you mess anywhere else up on the paper?

Thats hardly the A1 gone its one question which youll get most marks for anyway. did you mess anywhere else up on the paper?

Question 12 max i can get there is 40, (was one of my 6) question didnt know what magnets were for *facepalm*, question 9 defining bequerel i forgot the word disintegrations....and q 5 i surely f*cked one up :/

Question 12 max i can get there is 40, (was one of my 6) question didnt know what magnets were for *facepalm*, question 9 defining bequerel i forgot the word disintegrations....and q 5 i surely f*cked one up :/

Apart from 12 its not too bad? what were the magnets for btw? Think i said to accelerate particles as they circulate
    q5 is best 8 so you might be ok?

• Advertisement

Apart from 12 its not too bad? what were the magnets for btw? Think i said to accelerate particles as they circulate
    q5 is best 8 so you might be ok?

Thats what i said to my physics teacher all proud like i was so clever and he said the answer was in q 9....its to deflect them to keep them in circular motion :/

Thats what i said to my physics teacher all proud like i was so clever and he said the answer was in q 9....its to deflect them to keep them in circular motion :/

Well yeah to accelerate them towards centre

Well yeah to accelerate them towards centre

Hmm idk if accelerate will be accepted I hope so but they were looking for deflection...odd q never seen it before!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sean95

I think that its the first artificial transmutation of a nucleus and verifies Einsteins photoelectric equation.
    SHM too I think!

I thought it was that they found that the charge and momentum was not conserved in the equation and so this led to the discovery of the neutrino??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Quenches5

How did you calculate the speed of sound without being given the diameter of the tube i.e. c=f(4(l+0.3d)) with no d value?

Sean95 wrote: »
    I thought it was that they found that the charge and momentum was not conserved in the equation and so this led to the discovery of the neutrino??? :confused:

Thats for Beta decay sorry x

Quenches5 wrote: »
    How did you calculate the speed of sound without being given the diameter of the tube i.e. c=f(4(l+0.3d)) with no d value?

what question was that!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sean95

what question was that!?

Q.7

The question on resonance and sound waves, not sure which number!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I thought I did ok in the pre but I got 26%, I don't know what to think of todays paper even though I thought it was ok

• Advertisement

The question on resonance and sound waves, not sure which number!

slope of the graph by 4 graph being 1/lambda by frquency? idk i didnt do that q sorry

Just using c=fl

Just using c=fl
    But then that would imply that the diameter of the tube was 0, non-existant :L i dunno what they wanted really!

But then that would imply that the diameter of the tube was 0, non-existant :L i dunno what they wanted really!

No it wouldnt lambda is the wavelength there isnt an end correction... i got 330ms btw

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AR95

I'm fairly sure you take 550 as f and then take l(ie.30)=2(wavelength) divided by 4 and then just use c=f x wavelength. I got 330m/s using that method

AR95 wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure you take 550 as f and then take l(ie.30)=2(wavelength) divided by 4 and then just use c=f x wavelength. I got 330m/s using that method

550.(0.6) = 330

1100(.3) = 330

or

1650(.2) = 330

Something like that anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

The 0.3d in that equation is a correction factor. it is only placed there because we don't live in an ideal world and that tries to make up for it a small bit ( the distance between the frequency generator, usually a tuning fork in LC labs, and the open end of the tube.) Not having that 0.3d is just not including that correction factor. It's a rough guess at correcting some inherent issue in the experiment.

can you guys answer some of these:
    For q 11....
    C) are the forces just tension and the weight?
    H)Is the just simply explaining that electromagnetic induction is when a magnet moves in and out of a coil an EMF is produced?

Q 10....(a)
    To indicate the significance of their observation (cockroft and walton)....
    Would I get the marks for saying first splitting of an atom by accelerated particles?

Q9
    Defining the Bequerel....I said 1 Bq = 1 atom per second I know now decaying should be in there will i lose marks?

Question 5
    About the storage heater...?

Also...Fossil feuls vs. nucleur energy?

Question 12:
    Here I messed up i took the displacement to be the height...if I got the height wrong in the first part but used my values from this to continue on will i get full marks for the other parts?

Also if im close to the A1 like 88.75 would they look to bring me up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

im not sure about bring you up a freind of main got 84.34 in one of his exams and needed one mark for a grade yet they didnt give him it when he rechecked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

It depends entirely on the final revised marking scheme, they need to maintain their distributions! If you're even at 89.99, they will search hard for somewhere to give you that final .01, however they cannot break the marking scheme, so if they can't find it you won't get it

Advertisement