Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** HL Physics Before / after **

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xJEx

I didnt have time to look at the paper cause of chem and spanish today..can anyone tell me whats the deal with Q4?and what did anyone get for the 12b. nth order image?or the speed of the proton in 10??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sean95

xJEx wrote: »
    I didnt have time to look at the paper cause of chem and spanish today..can anyone tell me whats the deal with Q4?and what did anyone get for the 12b. nth order image?or the speed of the proton in 10??

For Q 12 b the highest order image reached was the 5th but I'm not too sure about the speed of the proton one I think I messed that one up

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

For the speed of the proton you just muliply the voltage by 1.6x10-19
    let that equal 1/2MV^2....Work through for v

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Quenches5 wrote: »
    How did you calculate the speed of sound without being given the diameter of the tube i.e. c=f(4(l+0.3d)) with no d value?

That is the formula for the closed pipe. Open pipe is just c=fλ; you are given that at f=550Hz, and you can work out the λ as 0.6m from the pipe length being 30cm (antinode to antinode). Solve for c=330m/s

• Registered Users Posts: 22 worrx

Sean95 wrote: »
    I thought it was that they found that the charge and momentum was not conserved in the equation and so this led to the discovery of the neutrino??? :confused:

The Cockroft & Walton experiment provided the first experimental proof for Einstein's E=mc^2

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

What experiement was it acutally? :o also, that graph IS curving off, for it to be a straight line, there would have to be a roughly equal drop in the y co-ordinates each time, but in that graph the gap goes from 0.17 down to 0.11

magicianz wrote: »
    What experiement was it acutally? :o also, that graph IS curving off, for it to be a straight line, there would have to be a roughly equal drop in the y co-ordinates each time, but in that graph the gap goes from 0.17 down to 0.11

But that makes no sense cause it's a straight line in the book for that experiment. Could they really take all the marks away if you did a straight line? Cause like the whole question was based on interpreting the graph pretty much...
    It was question 1 btw, variation of V with I for a metalic conductor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

yea the graph is suppose to be a curve line they said a thin wire which mean a small current can flow causing it to heat slighty thats what my physics teacher said and i sat their wondering how im i suppose to know that :mad:

ahmdoda wrote: »
    yea the graph is suppose to be a curve line they said a thin wire which mean a small current can flow causing it to heat slighty thats what my physics teacher said and i sat their wondering how im i suppose to know that :mad:

So you'd get zero marks for the graph, zero marks for reading off the resistance and zero marks for interpreting it if you did a straight line?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

So you'd get zero marks for the graph, zero marks for reading off the resistance and zero marks for interpreting it if you did a straight line?
    i will bomb the department if they did that! i mean if they wanted that graph why didnt they just say a filament bulb the proplem is that i only answered 3 questions in that section loosing out in the gaph my B grade is gone :(

I only answered the bare minimum of questions! I worked out I need about 24/40 marks in that Q to have a chance of my A1.. If they give me nothing i'll get like a B or something

ahmdoda wrote: »
    i will bomb the department if they did that! i mean if they wanted that graph why didnt they just say a filament bulb the proplem is that i only answered 3 questions in that section loosing out in the gaph my B grade is gone :(

They didn't say filament because they want you to think instead of regurgitate? Obviously we don't know what the marking scheme will be but if it is a thin wire then it will behave like a filament and the curve will fall off as the voltage increases.

magicianz wrote: »
    They didn't say filament because they want you to think instead of regurgitate? Obviously we don't know what the marking scheme will be but if it is a thin wire then it will behave like a filament and the curve will fall off as the voltage increases.

Not really fair though seeing as we never did a mandatory experiment like that?

It depends entirely on the wording. If it just said metal conductor then the straight line graph will do, but mentioning it will curve off at higher voltages would be good.

If they said filament/thin wire or anything meaning the wire had a very small cross-sectional area, then the graph will curve off faster.

Need to wait for the marking scheme to see what they say they wanted. No sense in worrying about it now.

They said thin.

Advertisement