Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** HL Physics Before / after **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 carlos123455

HPMS wrote: »
    Never even knew that existed!! Thanks for that :)

I'm hoping for an A but I still have electricity to revise but I have the weekend for that so should be grand. Considering the experiments go for so many marks, should hopefully have full marks there provided no sneaky questions are asked like the mocks! :)

Any tips for getting the A? Is it just knowing definitions, how to the maths stuff and knowing how things work etc? Once you know all that, are you sorted?

There's also few derriviations we have to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

There's also few derriviations we have to know

Right, I knew that just forgot to put it in there! :)

Don't you know for the STS part of the syllabus? Do you need to be able to describe the exact way everything works thats listed in that part of the syllabus? Like for the heat pump, do you need to know how it works? Or for mirages, do you need to know how they're formed? :)

Don't you know for the STS part of the syllabus? Do you need to be able to describe the exact way everything works thats listed in that part of the syllabus? Like for the heat pump, do you need to know how it works? Or for mirages, do you need to know how they're formed? :)

I'm not sure about mirages but you have to know how the heat pump works, it has been asked at least once before. And they are fairly strict on the descriptions. For example, in the heat pump question if you didn't mention that the gas takes away LATENT HEAT from the cooler area you'd lose few marks. So if you just said it takes away heat or energy you wouldn't get full marks which I think is a bit harsh cause you're still showing that you know how it works :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

I'm pretty sure mirages came up before, I'd advise looking at them...

I'm not sure about mirages but you have to know how the heat pump works, it has been asked at least once before. And they are fairly strict on the descriptions. For example, in the heat pump question if you didn't mention that the gas takes away LATENT HEAT from the cooler area you'd lose few marks. So if you just said it takes away heat or energy you wouldn't get full marks which I think is a bit harsh cause you're still showing that you know how it works :confused:

That is harsh... :confused: I was checking the syllabus, and it's so confusing, because it says for the STS sections (i.e. where the heat pump is) we only need to know the principle of them, not technical or operational details. It's so confusing regarding what we have to know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

What's STS?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Undeadfred wrote: »
    What's STS?

Science, Technology and Society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Anybody think that Joules Law will come up in Section A? My teacher is fairly confident that it will come up along with Concave Mirror, F=MA and either Specific Heat Capacity or Latent heat.

He's also confident that photoelectric effect and capacitance will come up in Section B too.

Anybody agree? I think Joules and F=MA will come up but the others I'm not so sure

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Anybody think that Joules Law will come up in Section A? My teacher is fairly confident that it will come up along with Concave Mirror, F=MA and either Specific Heat Capacity or Latent heat.

He's also confident that photoelectric effect and capacitance will come up in Section B too.

Anybody agree? I think Joules and F=MA will come up but the others I'm not so sure

Mines going for coplaner forces for Q1 or g by freefall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Glee_GG wrote: »
    Mines going for coplaner forces for Q1 or g by freefall!

Same with my teacher

• Advertisement

One of the heat experiments has to come up.. It hasn't came up in 2 years, and they're all fairly similar and easy :)

I would love a heat experiment, they're so easy to understand! I'm pretty sure the experiment to calibrate a thermometer has never come up so they might surprise us with that! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

My teacher says for the STS just read through the summary a number of times so you are familiar with the various terms - no need to learn them in detail like demos and definitions. The exception is the Heat pump that need to be learned in more detail.

Most question on the STS section need one or two word answers.

Derivations (proofs) are also included in the summaries.

lostatsea wrote: »
    My teacher says for the STS just read through the summary a number of times so you are familiar with the various terms - no need to learn them in detail like demos and definitions. The exception is the Heat pump that need to be learned in more detail.

Most question on the STS section need one or two word answers.

Derivations (proofs) are also included in the summaries.

That's great, thank you! How do you know which ones in the STS to learn in detail? And which ones to not?

My teacher is appalling so all she ever did was read through the book. Never explained anything. Completely ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

That's great, thank you! How do you know which ones in the STS to learn in detail? And which ones to not?

My teacher is appalling so all she ever did was read through the book. Never explained anything. Completely ridiculous!

The heat pump is the only one I'd study in detail. Read through the rest of them 3 or 4 times.

Is there anywhere online i could find the script of an A1 paper? I'd be useful in seeing the technique used in a 'perfect' paper

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

kingcobra wrote: »
    Our physics teacher left out the whole electricity section saying we don't need to do it :eek: I had to cover it through grinds. I've no idea what mark I could get either as we never did class tests so I don't know what standard I'm at, as with the others in the class. If I have a good exam I might scrape an A but I'm definitely looking for B.

But lads, particle physics is where the craic's at :cool:

You can leave it all out once you know everything else!

For those of you who have so much to do and little time....this website helped me a lot...brilliant quick and easy to learn

http://thephysicsteacher.ie/leavingcertphysicsrevision.html

'Give two reasons why the thermistor is immersed in oil instead of water'

This is in the 'measure restistance of a thermistor with temp.' question

Answer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Answer?

oil is a poor coductor thermistor won't short...
    Dunno really

• Advertisement

Answer?

So the water wont boil off i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AB2013

Answer?

I think it's because oil is a better conductor of heat and impure water will conduct electricity :o

AB2013 wrote: »
    I think it's because oil is a better conductor of heat and impure water will conduct electricity :o

Yeah that's it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

I would love a heat experiment, they're so easy to understand! I'm pretty sure the experiment to calibrate a thermometer has never come up so they might surprise us with that! :)

Actually the heat experiments are the one set of experiments I can't get my head around at all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭optimus125

If the definition of the ampere comes up I will cry with happiness. Best thing on the whole course.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭optimus125

kingcobra wrote: »
    Actually the heat experiments are the one set of experiments I can't get my head around at all :pac:

All you need to know is Heat lost = Heat gained, and then plug in the formulas for the pieces of equipment and substances if that's the case! Just do a few and look at the marking scheme while your doing them, they're really easy once you get the hang of them.

Wanna do a bit of a quiz here physics heads? I can't study for my life at the minute

Wanna do a bit of a quiz here physics heads? I can't study for my life at the minute

Bring it on :P
    Boyles law?

Boyles law states that for a fixed mass of gas at constant temp. pressue is inversely prop. to volume.

Newtons 1st and 2nd?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Bring it on :P
    Boyles law?

Pressure is inversely proportional to volume for a fixed mass of gas at a constant temp(?)

Advertisement