Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** HL Physics Before / after **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

Pressure of a gas at a fixed volume.
    Volume of a gas at fixed pressure.
    Length of a liquid column.
    Resistance of a thermistor.

Derive Kepler's 3rd Law.

Kepler's not on it........right......?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Chikablam wrote: »
    Kepler's not on it........right......?

to derive it you equate centripetal force and universal gravitation formulae... you derive keplers from this not bothered doing it out on this though

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

Predictions?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

to derive it you equate centripetal force and universal gravitation formulae... you derive keplers from this not bothered doing it out on this though

Ah right that thing, yeah I know how to do that, just didn't realise it had a specific name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

I heard Quantum Field Theory is coming up

• Advertisement

Undeadfred wrote: »
    I heard Quantum Field Theory is coming up
    The **** is that

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

The ampere is that current which, if maintained in two infinitely long parallel wires of negligible cross-sectional area 1m apart in a vacuum, experiences a force of 2x10^7 newtons per metre length.

2x10^-7, damnit! :P

Sorry, my pedanticism kicks in when I'm studying Physics

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭optimus125

D_s wrote: »
    2x10^-7, damnit! :P

Sorry, my pedanticism kicks in when I'm studying Physics

Pedanticism is kind of necessary when studying physics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Did anyone do that Mock paper which had the question in the mechanics section 'why does the spaceship not orbit at this height?'
    It was referring to geostationary orbit around the moon

Neither I nor my Physics teacher knew the answer and we didn't have the marking scheme

Did anyone do that Mock paper which had the question in the mechanics section 'why does the spaceship not orbit at this height?'

I like cheese and it was referring to geostationary orbit around the moon

Neither I nor my Physics teacher knew the answer and we didn't have the marking scheme

I think I saw it alright, I answered that this height was too expensive or something but what is this reasoning behing geostationary orbit? sounds more sensical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭no scope codgod

It was referring to geostationary orbit around the moon

"The height required for geostationary orbit around the moon is so high that the gravitational force from the Earth would likely have been stronger and so would have interfered with the orbit." Was my answer in the mocks and my teacher gave me the marks. The actual marking scheme was:

1) Too far for the lunar module to travel
    2) Large amount of fuel needed
    3) Geostationary orbit can only be above a planet's "equator"

** Accept any valid reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dorcan

Does anyone think i am mad for not learning a bit about electricity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

dorcan wrote: »
    Does anyone think i am mad for not learning a bit about electricity
    Yep, but only the experiments and Q5 definitions and little calculations.

decisions wrote: »
    Yep, but only the experiments and Q5 definitions and little calculations.

I do know all the basics how to use the formulas and the likes. The experiments was hoping they wouldnt put two electricity question up. Could they?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Closet Monkey

2 Electricity experiments is unlikely to come up. I think an experiment of light wave and maybe sound will come up.

Advice for everybody learn eletromagnetic induction well, hasnt come up as a full question since 2009. Any other suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

Any other suggestions.

Our Physics teacher gave us his "Chancers guide to LC Physics" on our last day with his predictions.
    Experiments: 
    g by Freefall
    Speed of Sound
    Specific Heat Capacity
    Joule's Law

Section B:
    Equations of Motion, collisions, newtons laws
    Wave nature of light, optics, doppler effect
    Electric Field Strength, V vs I curves, Domestic Cicuits
    Rutherford gold foil exp., Radioactivity (Half life etc.), Cathode Ray tube/X-Ray tube

D_s wrote: »
    Our Physics teacher gave us his "Chancers guide to LC Physics" on our last day with his predictions.
    Experiments: 
    g by Freefall
    Speed of Sound
    Specific Heat Capacity
    Joule's Law

Section B:
    Equations of Motion, collisions, newtons laws
    Wave nature of light, optics, doppler effect
    Electric Field Strength, V vs I curves, Domestic Cicuits
    Rutherford gold foil exp., Radioactivity (Half life etc.), Cathode Ray tube/X-Ray tube

Honestly think none of this will come up. Domestic circuits will never appear on a higher level paper. There is too many ligth questions in his predictions. And i cant se them putting all those mechanics questions on the paper itcwould be handy marks even for a student whose is unless at the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

My teacher was thinking the resistivity of nicrome wire is going to come up, and that is certainly one of the nicer electricity, since both mocks had full questions on simple harmonic motion and circular motion that will probably make an appearance.

Honestly think none of this will come up. Domestic circuits will never appear on a higher level paper. There is too many ligth questions in his predictions. And i cant se them putting all those mechanics questions on the paper itcwould be handy marks even for a student whose is unless at the subject

Dude Im pretty sure theyre suggestions for one question on each line....i think the mechanics is spot on if you look at papers! Also derive F=Ma

Newtons laws always come up so :P Bit of respect for the lad.

• Advertisement

My teacher was thinking the resistivity of nicrome wire is going to come up, and that is certainly one of the nicer electricity, since both mocks had full questions on simple harmonic motion and circular motion that will probably make an appearance.

No circular motion was on last years paper in q12 and in 2011/2010 uvast equations and forces havent been seen since 08/09 SHM was in 2011/2010 also so id say not! Just because it came up in the pree :P

Advice for everybody learn eletromagnetic induction well, hasnt come up as a full question since 2009. Any other suggestions.

For the mechanics experiment Id put my money on co-planar forces more so than g by free fall. But know those 2...Defo learn the heat experiments and Id say speed of sound in air....

Is anyone doing extra q's? all 4 experiments? 3 q12's? an extra 56 marker?

Ill defo do another experiment q for sure as for 56 marker ill try if i have time...they say always do q5 and q12 cause of the options!

I'll probably do 3 from Question 12 and probably an extra 56 marker, but not an extra experiment.

Hmm... do you think timewise the exam allows for an extra 56 marker? Some can be a lot quicker than others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

I always have time left in the exam but I'm not gonna do an extra experiment question unless I actually know all four because I do find them harder (I know only person who feels that way) and always do better in section B? I'd rather spend my time on maybe doing all of Q12 or an extra question.

ALSO what derivations would be likely? I was thinking Keplers but thats just a niggling feeling

Some of the questions are ridiculously short, especially the Particle Physics questions. You could easily pick up time there.

Does a vernier calipers measure diameter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 lisheen2308

here's a question from our pre which i think is nice:
    The manager of a department store wants to purchase mirrors for the dressing room. To reduce costs, she wants to purchase mirrors that are short as possible but will allow a person of height 2m to see themselves standing full length in the mirror.
    What is the shortest mirror she should purchase? justify your answer.

Anyone doing the applied electricity option, apparently not many schools do it?

Advertisement