Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** HL Physics Before / after **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

Oh f*ck its gonna be SHM :( uvast was in fact there last year....

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xJEx

Can someone say exactly how you define 'magnetic flux'. I have a definition for magnetic flux density but in one of the mocks they asked what is meant by magnetic flux and I'm not sure how to word it :/

Circular motion was in q 12 so I dont think well get the planetary motion q :/ SHM or momentum and force (fingers crossed please please please!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

Circular motion was in q 12 so I dont think well get the planetary motion q :/ SHM or momentum and force (fingers crossed please please please!!!)

Momentum and Force would be an awesome question. =)

Ok quick question would I be relatively safe to leave out electromagnetic stuff induction etc and the light chapters??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

cmontes1 wrote: »
    I have a feeling it'll be pretty soon.06.jpg
    07.jpg

Da fuq?!

GREAT NEWS!!!!MOMENTUM HASNT COME UP SINCE 2004!!!!!!!!!!!! Nor F=ma!!!!!!!!! SHM 2011,2009 (q12) 2007 q 6!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

GREAT NEWS!!!!MOMENTUM HASNT COME UP SINCE 2004!!!!!!!!!!!! Nor F=ma!!!!!!!!! SHM 2011,2009 (q12) 2007 q 6!!!

W00T!!! Screw you SHM!! =L

I don't mean to burst your bubble but there's still a chance that SHM will come up. :(

We'll just have to see tomorrow morning. =)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

xJEx wrote: »
    Can someone say exactly how you define 'magnetic flux'. I have a definition for magnetic flux density but in one of the mocks they asked what is meant by magnetic flux and I'm not sure how to word it :/

I'm pretty sure you can just say "The magnetic flux experienced by a conductor is equal to the magnetic flux density multiplied by area"

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Raeral

xJEx wrote: »

Magnetic flux = magnetic flux density x area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xJEx

Raeral wrote: »
    Magnetic flux = magnetic flux density x area

Ah yeah! Thanks to both of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AB2013

Can it be assumed that magnetic flux density and magnetic field strength are the same? :)

So again predictions? Ccan everyone contribute see where we overlap?

Is the YOUTUBE predictions guy doing physics?

decisions wrote: »
    Experiments:
    1. G by free fall/ coplaner forces
    2. Heat
    3. Snells Law / Speed of sound
    4. Resistivity of wire

6. Planetary Motion / SHM
    7. Waves, Doppler ect
    8. Capacitance, Coulombs Law
    9. Photoelectric emission, X rays
    10. Cockcroft and Walton experiment
    11. ?
    12. Electromagnitism, Semi conductor, refractive index (optical fibers?)

Anybody else got any predictions?
    decisions wrote: »
    Is the YOUTUBE predictions guy doing physics?
    Yes but theyre not up! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24 lisheen2308

AB2013 wrote: »
    Can it be assumed that magnetic flux density and magnetic field strength are the same? :)

NO! electric field strength is the force per unit charge while magnetic flux density at a point in a magnetic field is a vector whose magnitude is equal to the force that would be experienced by a conductor of length 1m, carrying a current of 1A at right angles to the field at that poinat and whose direction is the direction of the force on a north pole placed at that point.

you could also just give the formulas in the log book but you MUST explain what each notation means!

NO! electric field strength is the force per unit charge while magnetic flux density at a point in a magnetic field is a vector whose magnitude is equal to the force that would be experienced by a conductor of length 1m, carrying a current of 1A at right angles to the field at that poinat and whose direction is the direction of the force on a north pole placed at that point.

you could also just give the formulas in the log book but you MUST explain what each notation means!

Thank you :D I've been trying to figure this out for ages!

NO! electric field strength is the force per unit charge

I know electricity and magnetism are 2 sides of the same coin, but "Magnetic charge" isn't a thing.

Yes but theyre not up! :(

whose this youtube guy?
    :eek:

Does anyone know which quark compositions we need to know? And then could they give the answers also? :P

• Advertisement

D_s wrote: »
    I know electricity and magnetism are 2 sides of the same coin, but "Magnetic charge" isn't a thing.

I presumed they meant the 'charge' as the charge the particle has, as in force per coulomb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Yeah Eoin Jackson is cutting it close with his Physics video alright. This is the one subject that I'll probably have to bite the bullet and rely on predictions for. Too much to do, too little time. =(

whose this youtube guy?
    :eek:

Yer man who sat 30 subjects a few years ago.

AB2013 wrote: »
    I presumed they meant the 'charge' as the charge the particle has, as in force per coulomb?

Yeah, but a charge just sitting in a magnetic field wont feel any force. It has to be moving, hence F=qvB (derived from F=BIl), but then wait, that's a rearrangement of the equation for Magnetic Flux Density B = F/Il, so I'd argue that magnetic field strength and magnetic flux density are in fact, at least practically, the same thing.

EDIT: Or rather, Magnetic Flux Density could be seen as a measurement of magnetic field strength, in the same way temperature is a measurement of heat energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 Bla112

Few bodies that move in shm ??

Bla112 wrote: »

A tuning fork...
    A bob at the end of a vibrating spring...
    A pendulum...

D_s wrote: »

never heard of magnetic charge? like magnetic lines of force go from north to south externally on the magnet. and south to north internally in a magnet.

Like examples? Tides, object on a stretched spring, pendulum, tuning fork ect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

-Prong on a tuning fork
    -Pendulum with small angle of swing
    -A magnet hanging horizontally from a string, displaced slightly from it's N-S orientation
    -tides (apparently)
    -A mass vibrating up & down at the end of a spring (not string, silly typo :P)

They're all the easy ones, there's that one about the uniform circular motion projected on a diameter that's hard to explain without a diagram.

• Advertisement

never heard of magnetic charge? like magnetic lines of force go from north to south externally on the magnet. and south to north internally in a magnet.

A magnetic charge would be essentially a magnetic monopole (I think) which are only hypothetical at the moment. Electric charge is affected by magnetic field, but no I've never heard of magnetic charge, and by the looks of it neither has Google ;)

What you're talking about are magnetic field lines, completely different concept.

Advertisement