Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** HL Physics Before / after **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 Bla112

I've experiments q5s and my option covered. What do you guys think would be the best topics to revise??

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

AHHH :( this really sucks so little time so much to do!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 lisheen2308

Bla112 wrote: »
    I've experiments q5s and my option covered. What do you guys think would be the best topics to revise??

modern physics id say
    also doppler effect didnt come up last year and neither did electrostatics and that so there highly likely for long questions in MY opinion:)

Are ye leaving out resistivity? It was a full q also does fission and fusion always come up? or do you think well get radioactivity?

Are ye leaving out resistivity? It was a full q also does fission and fusion always come up? or do you think well get radioactivity?

resistivity is very easy if it comes up, looking at trends it comes up regularly so id have a look at it, modern physics is short enough too tbh but there was a full question last year on the whole E=mc^2 formula but maybe cahtode ray tube and that sort of stuff? like that of 2003 Q9 not the nicest of questions tbf

• Advertisement

anyone else have a great dislike for sound and some of light? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

definition of power?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xJEx

D_s wrote: »
    Does anyone know which quark compositions we need to know? And then could they give the answers also? :P

It's all in the tables

definition of power?

work done per unit time

definition of power?

rate at which work is done / energy is converted

What are three conditions neccessary for a rainbow to occur, anyone? :/

• Advertisement

definition of power?

The rate at which work is done?

xJEx wrote: »
    It's all in the tables

The neutron: UDU
    The proton: UUD

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

It's all in the tables

You sure? Where in the tables does it say:
    "Proton: 2 up quarks, 1 down quark
    Neutron: 2 down quarks, 1 up quark
    K+ : 1 up, 1 anti-strange
    K-: 1 strange, 1 anti-up
    K o: 1 down, 1 anti-strange OR 1 strange, 1 anti-down
    Pi+: 1 up, 1 anti-down
    Pi-: 1 down, 1 anti-up
    Pi o: up, anti-up OR down, anti-down"

Just thought I'd use this as an excuse to list these out for people. :P Big shoutout to my man Wikipedia <3

• Registered Users Posts: 8 akeating

Just thought I'd use this as an excuse to list these out for people. :P Big shoutout to my man Wikipedia <3

My teacher told us its just Neutron and Proton... They asked Pions before but people gave out mad about it apparently

You need to know definitely....the proton and neutron (see previous post of mine)

You also need to know...a meson consists of a quark and an-antiquark, baryons of 3 quarks

From this they can then ask to give the composition of a positive pion...use the table values to give a quark and then an anti quark which will give you a positive charge

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AB2013

Yeah, but a charge just sitting in a magnetic field wont feel any force. It has to be moving, hence F=qvB (derived from F=BIl), but then wait, that's a rearrangement of the equation for Magnetic Flux Density B = F/Il, so I'd argue that magnetic field strength and magnetic flux density are in fact, at least practically, the same thing.

EDIT: Or rather, Magnetic Flux Density could be seen as a measurement of magnetic field strength, in the same way temperature is a measurement of heat energy.

Actually, don't they have to be the same since magnetic field strength is measured in Tesla and 1Tesla is equal to 1 weber per metre squared. Considering magnetic flux is measured in weber, and magnetic flux= BA ?

Yes I'm sure. Well, I'm sure that I could do it from the tables anyway. It doesn't say that but it lists the baryonsand mesons. Hence you know if its made from 3 quarks/antiquarks or one of each. Then you look at the quarks on the opposite page and pick out the ones that will give you the correct value - for example for a proton you know you want it to add up to 1, you know it has to be made of 3 quarks so its obviously uud cause 2/3 + 2/3 - 1/3 = 1
    voilá ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 akeating

Yes I'm sure. Well, I'm sure that I could do it from the tables anyway. It doesn't say that but it lists the baryonsand mesons. Hence you know if its made from 3 quarks/antiquarks or one of each. Then you look at the quarks on the opposite page and pick out the ones that will give you the correct value - for example for a proton you know you want it to add up to 1, you know it has to be made of 3 quarks so its obviously uud cause 2/3 + 2/3 - 1/3 = 1
    voilá ;)

Well there's a number of quarks which have the same charge so that wouldn't necessarily work

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Raeral

So Eoin Jackson has (finally) decided to out up his physics predictions. They can be downloaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/?xljtaryqrdbybvx

Raeral wrote: »
    So Eoin Jackson has (finally) decided to out up his physics predictions. They can be downloaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/?xljtaryqrdbybvx

Oh thank f*ck for that....im sitting her depressed cause i dont know what to do :(

• Advertisement

Can ya paste his predictions here. My computer refuses point blank to download that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Can ya paste his predictions here. My computer refuses point blank to download that

Yes do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Honours PHYSICS predictions 2013The trick in leaving cert subjects such as Physics is to try & accurately predict which topics will be asked. From an analysis of the past papers I can advise you to focus your studies on the following topics which are due up this year (The first 5 are the most important):-1. Your chosen Elective option!!! (Obviously )2. Radioactivity 3. Capacitance 4. Sound Frequencies & Harmonics5. Gravity & Circular Motion6. Electromagnetic Induction7. Electrostatics / Coulomb / EFS8. Semiconductor & P-N Junction9. Forces & Momentum10. Waves & Wave Motion11. Friction12. Heat Transfer13. Newton & Motion14. Current flow / Amps / Conductors15. Refraction & Lens16. X-Rays~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Also, there are between 20 & 25 experiments on the course. These 20 are most likely to be asked in June. (The last six [written in italics] have never been asked before!):-1. Verify Joule’s Law2. Investigate laws of equilibrium for a set of co-planar forces3. Investigate the relationship between period & length of Pendulum4. Measure the speed of sound in air5. Variation of current with Potential Difference for a filament bulb6. To determine the Specific Latent Heat of the fusion of ice.7. Measure resistivity of a nichrome wire8. Measure Specific H.C. of Water using Copper9. Measure the focal length of a concave mirror10. Measure the wavelength of monochromatic light11. Investigate the variation of fundamental frequency of a stretched string with TENSION.12. Find the specific latent heat of the vaporisation of water. (steam)13. Verify Snell’s Law14. Show that sound is a wave motion15. Measure the refractive index of a liquid16. Measure Velocity or Acceleration 17. Inv. variation of current with p.d. for a conductor (e.g. -wire) 18. Measure Specific H. C. of water using an electrical method19. Measure Specific H. C. of a metal using an electrical method20. Obtain the Calibration Curve of a Thermometer

Undeadfred wrote: »
    Yes do this

Honours PHYSICS predictions 2013The trick in leaving cert subjects such as Physics is to try & accurately predict which topics will be asked. From an analysis of the past papers I can advise you to focus your studies on the following topics which are due up this year (The first 5 are the most important):-1. Your chosen Elective option!!! (Obviously )2. Radioactivity 3. Capacitance 4. Sound Frequencies & Harmonics5. Gravity & Circular Motion6. Electromagnetic Induction7. Electrostatics / Coulomb / EFS8. Semiconductor & P-N Junction9. Forces & Momentum10. Waves & Wave Motion11. Friction12. Heat Transfer13. Newton & Motion14. Current flow / Amps / Conductors15. Refraction & Lens16. X-Rays~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Also, there are between 20 & 25 experiments on the course. These 20 are most likely to be asked in June. (The last six [written in italics] have never been asked before!):-1. Verify Joule’s Law2. Investigate laws of equilibrium for a set of co-planar forces3. Investigate the relationship between period & length of Pendulum4. Measure the speed of sound in air5. Variation of current with Potential Difference for a filament bulb6. To determine the Specific Latent Heat of the fusion of ice.7. Measure resistivity of a nichrome wire8. Measure Specific H.C. of Water using Copper9. Measure the focal length of a concave mirror10. Measure the wavelength of monochromatic light11. Investigate the variation of fundamental frequency of a stretched string with TENSION.12. Find the specific latent heat of the vaporisation of water. (steam)13. Verify Snell’s Law14. Show that sound is a wave motion15. Measure the refractive index of a liquid16. Measure Velocity or Acceleration 17. Inv. variation of current with p.d. for a conductor (e.g. -wire) 18. Measure Specific H. C. of water using an electrical method19. Measure Specific H. C. of a metal using an electrical method20. Obtain the Calibration Curve of a Thermometer

Poor pasting skills, sufficient I guess

Poor pasting skills, sufficient I guess

Hold on give me a sec, I'll just parse everything for you. Good man.

Pathetic predictions. Puts up 20 out of the 25 possible. What a knob...

Prodigious wrote: »
    Hold on give me a sec, I'll just parse everything for you. Good man.

Hahaha brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 33 carlos123455

Wtf, pendulum came up last year and its his 3rd most likely experiment to come up?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 KildareKing

Wtf, pendulum came up last year and its his 3rd most likely experiment to come up?!

It doesnt seem like he has a clue what he is talking about.

Advertisement