Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Fibre Installed today - Here are the speed test results!

Options
  • 23-05-2013 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Folks,

Just got my fibre installed today. Have been following boards looking for speed tests to no avail so i taught id sign up and share mine to give ye an idea as to what speeds we are getting here in Ennis. I signed up for the 50mb package. Engineer said people on the 70mb were getting close to the 70.

Here is what i was getting this morning before the install :
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2726155219.png

Here is what i am getting after the install :
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2727036164.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Hi Folks,

Just got my fibre installed today. Have been following boards looking for speed tests to no avail so i taught id sign up and share mine to give ye an idea as to what speeds we are getting here in Ennis. I signed up for the 50mb package. Engineer said people on the 70mb were getting close to the 70.

Here is what i was getting this morning before the install :
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2726155219.png

Here is what i am getting after the install :
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2727036164.png
    use this http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/speedtest/?id=1 for a more accurate test result cos speedtest.net uses non eircom test servers which add to longer ping times and more net congestion

NOTE speed tests on computers connected to modem over wireless will give inaccurate results... wifi speed is variable.... always run a speed test using an ethernet cable plugged from modem to computer for an accurate result

also wireless g cards/usb sticks will be limited to a max of 54mb so if your on 70mb efibre then you will need a wireless N card or usb stick to get upto 70mb

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Irish_Style

use this http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/speedtest/?id=1 for a more accurate test result cos speedtest.net uses non eircom test servers which add to longer ping times and more net congestion

NOTE speed tests on computers connected to modem over wireless will give inaccurate results... wifi speed is variable.... always run a speed test using an ethernet cable plugged from modem to computer for an accurate result

also wireless g cards/usb sticks will be limited to a max of 54mb so if your on 70mb efibre then you will need a wireless N card or usb stick to get upto 70mb
    Tested it again with the above link. Results were actually slower. I am connected to the modem via Ethernet. To the best of my knowledge i am about 300 meters from the cabinet. See results below.

8z1own.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Thank you for posting. Not many do if all is well.
    I have "chickened out" for the moment as I wasn't sure how the thing would pan out, There seemed to be a lot of hype and little substance and my NGB suits me OK.
    If you were there when it happened, I would appreciate any comments you might have.
    Did the modem go where the installer wanted or where you would have preferred?
    As for the modem itself, perhaps you could let us know what the make and model is and whether it looks as though it's configurable for any tweaks you might want.
    The moderators say its an ZyXEL F1000, I can't find it anywhere on the Web, not even ZyXEL admits to producing such a thing!
    Again, I'm glad you got such a good result.
    Slán tamall.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭pqdvdplayer

I got Vodafone Fibre yesterday in Westport, Mayo. Although it hasnt reached 70mb/s I am absolutely delighted with my new speeds because I was only getting around 10mb/s before with ADSL. I am also getting over 10mb/s upload speed biggrin.png Happy out. 

Click on this link to see my speed biggrin.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2736846486.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I hate you all.....
    I'm stuck with Sky getting 14mb :P
    Anyway enjoy your amazing downloads *crying* :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 honnaddannoh

That was some improvement Irish Stlye ! Can't wait untill they get out to Enfield Co.Meath with Phase 5 2015 :/ 
    10 mb upload speed is serious in comparison to my 0.6mb ! 

I presume the package price is the same ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I hate you all.....
    I'm stuck with Sky getting 14mb
    Anyway enjoy your amazing downloads *crying*
    I'd bet my gaff that Sky will be in the efibre market by September. And will be offering better tarriffs than Eircom & Vodafone:).

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I hate you all.....
    I'm stuck with Sky getting 14mb
    Anyway enjoy your amazing downloads *crying*
    'Stuck' with 14mb? Jaysus, trying being stuck with 1.8mb :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Irish_Style

Hi ainiseoir,

I can confirm the that the modem is a ZyXEL, and under model it is called "eircom F1000 Modem". This might explain why there is no information on the ZyXEL site about it, im guessing it is especially commissioned for eircom, an iteration of some other product they offer im sure. It seems to be fairly versatile, from what i can see it supports all the features you would expect from an eircom issued modem. I have heard there might be some issues with bridiging another router with this modem cannot say for sure though. Haven't tried it yet, will know in the next week when i get time to play with it. As for the install, it was very straight forward. All done in about 15 to 20 min. It was an eircom engineer that installed mine and there was no issue atall, Similar to a typical broadband adsl install, He replaced and rewired the socket on the wall and i was good to go. He also handed me the router there and then so there was no waiting for it to arrive in the post.

@honnaddannoh - Im sure it sucks to be that far down the list.. good things come to those who wait! so they say.. On the brighter side of things apparently by next year they will be offering a 100mb and 150mb connection (fibre to the house - FTTH) So at least when you do get your connection it should be fairly fast at that stage! There was no cost for me to upgrade from the package i was on.

@Kristopherus - Tis only a matter of time before Tesco are at it aswell.. " Every little Mb helps"!! Wha wha wha.. poor, i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Hi ainiseoir,

I can confirm the that the modem is a ZyXEL, and under model it is called "eircom F1000 Modem". This might explain why there is no information on the ZyXEL site about it, im guessing it is especially commissioned for eircom, an iteration of some other product they offer im sure. It seems to be fairly versatile, from what i can see it supports all the features you would expect from an eircom issued modem. I have heard there might be some issues with bridiging another router with this modem cannot say for sure though. Haven't tried it yet, will know in the next week when i get time to play with it. As for the install, it was very straight forward. All done in about 15 to 20 min. It was an eircom engineer that installed mine and there was no issue atall, Similar to a typical broadband adsl install, He replaced and rewired the socket on the wall and i was good to go. He also handed me the router there and then so there was no waiting for it to arrive in the post.
    Thank you for taking the time.
    I'm glad to hear that he handed you the modem/router there and then and let you get on with that side of things yourself.
    The location of the socket he would like to use is still a worry that I don't want to have to argue about it  on installation day.

• Advertisement

LFCFan wrote: »
    'Stuck' with 14mb? Jaysus, trying being stuck with 1.8mb :-(
    I'd bet my gaff that Sky will be in the efibre market by September. And will be offering better tarriffs than Eircom & Vodafone:).

Hehe, yeah I'd hope they do...
    I live about 200/400 meters between 2 VSDL cabs but was told my line can't get it...
    1.8mb? I wouldn't be able to cope....You're a braver man than I :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 coldsl

Hehe, yeah I'd hope they do...
    I live about 200/400 meters between 2 VSDL cabs but was told my line can't get it...
    1.8mb? I wouldn't be able to cope....You're a braver man than I
    Vodafone rang me today, then txted, then rang, then txted :- Offering me "Up to 70Mb VDSL in my area?? I'm not within 13Km  of a telephone exchange and Eircom cant even give me Broadband! Ambitious salesman or what??

coldsl wrote: »
    Vodafone rang me today, then txted, then rang, then txted :- Offering me "Up to 70Mb VDSL in my area?? I'm not within 13Km  of a telephone exchange and Eircom cant even give me Broadband! Ambitious salesman or what??
    That person definitely wants some commission! 
    I'd love VDSL..... But sadly can't avail of it

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sean007s

Apparantly I'm getting mine installed next week on Thursday. My current average speed is 10mbs download and 550kps upload. I'll let you guys know how the upgrade goes and the speed differences are.

Advertisement