Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol generator kVA

Options
  • 23-05-2013 9:19pm

Lads I finished restoring an old 5.5hp 230/115v petrol generator that I picked up in an auction and plan on selling it on. Thing is I've no idea of the power output. I'm assuming its 2 or 2.5kVA. No marking anywhere except the hp. How would I go about measuring the kVA? Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Google is your friend :)

Simply enter the details 5.5hp, make etc. into the search engine and see if you can identify your genny

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

is there a overload trip on the unit like the one in the link below ........if there is you can work it out approx the current from it or get a few elements ( old storage heater ones work well ) connect them one at a time messure the current and see how many it will drive.
    5.5hp will be about 2.5 kva or at max 3.5kva
    http://generatorguru.com/trip-switch-for-battery-charger-551962/

2011 wrote: »
    Google is your friend :)

Simply enter the details 5.5hp, make etc. into the search engine and see if you can identify your genny

I tried that. Its an oddball make. Logan tools :confused: Cant find anything on it except a picture to a removed Australian gumtree link.

Its very similar to this (not that the pic really helps)

8677n32_20.jpeg

is there a overload trip on the unit like the one in the link below ........if there is you can work it out approx the current from it or get a few elements ( old storage heater ones work well ) connect them one at a time messure the current and see how many it will drive.
    5.5hp will be about 2.5 kva or at max 3.5kva
    http://generatorguru.com/trip-switch-for-battery-charger-551962/

There is a 10A breaker on it similar to this. I have 2 1200W halogen heaters. My brother may have a 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

shaaane wrote: »
    8677n32_20.jpeg

Looks like the type the travellers sell :P

Mod Edit: Let's try not to offend anyone -thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

SmallBalls wrote: »
    Looks like the type the pikeys sell :P

yep looks like a honda alright:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

From my college days 5.5hp is around 4.1kw which would make it a 3.5kva or there abouts

I found a marking on one of the panels covered in muck. Obviously I wasn't looking hard enough yesterday. Its a 2.5kVA genny. Thanks for your help lads. Mods, feel free to close this thread. Problem sorted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Jnealon wrote: »
    From my college days 5.5hp is around 4.1kw which would make it a 3.5kva or there abouts

The kw cant really be higher than the kva, it can only be equal or less, depending on the load power factor, which is why ratings are in kva.

Advertisement