Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a social worker or counsellor.

• 23-05-2013 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Hi!
    I'e just completed my first year in a Psychology and Sociology course, but I've been rethinking my plan for the future.
    Although I love the course and find it interesting and get really good results, I'm getting a bit bogged down with all the theoretical aspects.
    It may sound cheesy, but all I want to do is help people.
    And I'm not sure pursueing this degree is the way to go.
    So recently I've been thinking about maybe taking a year out, volunteering abroad, and also about going into social care/counselling.
    I've been finding it very hard to find any information on these career paths, though, so I'm hoping for some advice.
    What are the main/easiest routes to follow if you want to become a social worker?
    Is my course at the moment relevant? I understand that I could probably complete my course and go on to do a postgrad in social work/counsellor but if there is another more straightforward way to do this then I would much prefer to drop out now and get started on that, rather than wasting my time and money.

Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭moochers

Hi Biohaiid,
    I did M.A in social work and really enjoyed the course, its quite full on and there is a lot of course work. Huge emphasis on practice and work experience and like you, I'm not too fond of theory but this too is a vital part of course. Physch and Soc are ideal subjects but you have to have relative work experience, wont get an interview without experience (think its equivalent to nine months full time hours) you could always do some volunteering few hours a week while in college such as childline, homework clubs, disability services, community centres etc. If you only have two years of BA left, stick it out if you can. Like I said you have very relevant subjects. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

moochers wrote: »
    Hi Biohaiid,
    I did M.A in social work and really enjoyed the course, its quite full on and there is a lot of course work. Huge emphasis on practice and work experience and like you, I'm not too fond of theory but this too is a vital part of course. Physch and Soc are ideal subjects but you have to have relative work experience, wont get an interview without experience (think its equivalent to nine months full time hours) you could always do some volunteering few hours a week while in college such as childline, homework clubs, disability services, community centres etc. If you only have two years of BA left, stick it out if you can. Like I said you have very relevant subjects. :)

Hi, thanks for the reply :)
    I actually have 3 years left! I've decided to go back in September anyway and see how it goes.
    I don't mind sticking it out if it is relevant/necessary for me in becoming a social worker. From what I have found out and from what you say, I gather that to become a social worker you must complete a MA? Is that correct, there is no direct route through an undergrad.?
    I do quite a bit of volunteering and I will be going in placement for 4 months so that should all help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭moochers

There are two undergrads, I think. But you apply through the cao and they are probably filled. I dont know if you could transfer. The main route is to do the MA which is two years full time, but the time flies. Some of my classmates also spent a couple of summers volunteering abroad in India/Africa. A good idea would be to keep an eye out for part time paid work in support and care work with disability services, care assistant in nursing homes etc.

Advertisement