Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games with great stories

• 23-05-2013 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Over the last while I have been trying to play games with great stories that I have missed over the last few years and I am looking for suggestions. I don't care about the genre or graphics and I have access to every system (bar the 3ds and WiiU).

Recently I have really enjoyed:
    Heavy Rain
    To The Moon
    Walking Dead
    Spec Ops: The Line
    Thomas Was Alone
    Bioshock Infinite

The next one on my list is The Unfinished Swan.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Deadly Premonition.

Through all the weird dialogue and annoying gameplay, the story kept me playing and properly gripped me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Resistance: Fall of Man on the PS3. The story was pretty good and the narrator's voice was fantastic.

Graphics are very, very dated and the gameplay is linear but it's one of the few games where I've actually looked forward to the cut-scenes between levels :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Shadow of the Colossus :)

I was very taken in by it anyway.
    I nearly cried when I thought I lost my horse and did cry when he came back!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭robvondoom

Silent Hill 2. Not a pleasant story now mind you, but arguably one of the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Deadly Premonition.

Cheers. I completely forgot about this. I remember looking at it around the time it was released.
    r3nu4l wrote: »
    Resistance: Fall of Man on the PS3. The story was pretty good and the narrator's voice was fantastic.

Iv always had a problem with 1st person shooters on the ps3 (concave sticks, Why!) I might pick it up anyway as it would be pretty cheap and I love the setting.
    keith16 wrote: »
    Shadow of the Colossus :)

Currently half way through the hd release :)
    robvondoom wrote: »
    Silent Hill 2. Not a pleasant story now mind you, but arguably one of the best.

I have a copy of this around. Always terrified me and I never finished it. It's one of those gaps in my gaming history.

Thanks everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭weemcd

Final Fantasy X
    Metal Gear Solid

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Broken Sword Trilogy on PC

An all time favourite

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,312 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The mass effect trilogy are probably the most immersive games I've played in terms of story and characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Knights of the Old Republic back in the day was amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Shenmue 2

and as mentioned above Final Fantasy X

• Advertisement

Played the Final Fantasy series to death (at least up to X). Definitely a great story though.

Lost Odyssey is the next big RPG I am going to get into. Don't have as much free time as I would like so I tend to avoid RPG's a bit now.

Broken Sword is a great suggestion, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Morrowind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Thoroughly enjoyed the story for Ni No Kuni : Wrath of the White Witch. Had it's slow parts now and then but the gameplay kept me going. When the big story moments did occur, I was glued.

Injustice : Gods Among Us tells a surprisingly interesting story for a fighting game.

Currently half way through the hd release :)

Where did you get it? I'm considering picking up a copy but can't see it anywhere.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,312 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Knights of the Old Republic back in the day was amazing.

Got both of those recently myself, looking forward to getting into them.

Where did you get it? I'm considering picking up a copy but can't see it anywhere.

I got it on amazon back when it was released. They have some at the mo:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ico-Shadow-Colossus-Collection-PS3/dp/B004T8C19W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369347593&sr=8-1&keywords=ico+and+shadow+of+the+colossus+ps3

The framerate is so much better. I had no idea how low it was in the PS2 version until I saw my mate playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

If you have PS Plus it's free next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

If you have PS Plus account it's free this month along with Ico.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    If you have PS Plus it's free next month.

Man, I'm not convinced about the PS Plus...basically when the sub runs out, I don't get to play the game anymore? That right?

Deus Ex 1. Good conspiracy story and take into account it came out just before 9/11 adds to it even more now.

• Advertisement

Man, I'm not convinced about the PS Plus...basically when the sub runs out, I don't get to play the game anymore? That right?

It's only €50 a year, the price of one game and for that you get alot of free games and discounts on DLC and other games.

I don't know about you but that's very good value.

I'm waiting for the Vita price drop at E3 or a new model to come out before getting it. Thanks to PS Plus I have 3 games for it already for free sitting on my PS3 HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I got Telltale's The Walking Dead last week as it came out on disk for PS3 and the story is absolutely fantastic. It's leagues ahead of most shows on TV and the ending was brilliant. I'm quite happy to admit that I
    was fighting back tears and almost losing
    at the end.

The bond between Lee and Clementine is remarkable.

It's only €50 a year, the price of one game and for that you get alot of free games and discounts on DLC and other games.

I don't know about you but that's very good value.

I'm waiting for the Vita price drop at E3 or a new model to come out before getting it. Thanks to PS Plus I have 3 games for it already for free sitting on my PS3 HDD.

If I had the time I would definitely have one. Take a look at this list someone did on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1dmz2i/what_does_one_full_year_4050_of_playstation_plus/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Fragile dreams
    Silent hill 2
    Catherine
    Xenoblade
    Valkyria chronicles
    Persona 3
    Persona 4
    Metal gear solid 1 and 3
    Yakuza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Loved The Walking Dead which I got on disc and played through it in a chapter a sitting, it was brilliant. Kenny and Clementine were such great characters.
    Always love the bonkers cases and cast in the Phoenix wright games too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

In terms of story, I would rate Alan Wake and Max Payne very highly. Pure narrative, atmospheric, and great dialogue. Particularly in the case of Alan Wake, it felt like reading a book. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Persona 3 and 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Homeworld

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Surprised no-one has said Portal 1+2 yet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Planescape: Torment. Doesn't get said nearly enough around here.

Little Inferno may be cheap and cheerf- Well, cheap- but the plot is as gripping and emotionally manipulative as any big budget deal. Same goes for Hotline Miami. Amazing storytelling on a minimal budget.

Advertisement