Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games with great stories

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,083 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Now that I didn't know.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

okami HD is shaping up pretty nicely so far ( only like 6 hours in/ at the first boss)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

C14N wrote: »
    Maybe I didn't understand it completely but why exactly would a US agent be taking part in this mission? What could they gain from it? Why not just shoot the other guys (they gladly walk ahead after giving you a loaded machine gun)?

It's revealed after that the entire thing was set up by the terrorist group to leave an American at the scene to start a war but what did the Americans think the Russian terrorists were going to gain from it? The fact that the protagonist is told "no Russian" is kind of a red flag.

Why didn't they tell the Russian government about it in advance?

Doesn't the fact that the only American agent on the scene was shot as well indicate that it wasn't sponsored by the Americans?

How would a bunch of guys with automatic rifles just waltz into an Airport like that and take down the substantial airport security by just casually strolling through?

While I didn't think that scene was good it was brave. I could see what they were going for but think the execution was lousy and it ultimately didn't work.

As for your points about it being unrealistic, I've been watching Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States and from other history sources something like that would be tame compared to many CIA operations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    While I didn't think that scene was good it was brave
    I'd agree with you if they hadn't provided the cop out
    of letting you abstain from the shooting
    . In a game as controlling as CoD that's a striking concession and one that completely undermines the point of the mission. If you want to present an edgy and controversial topic like that then it's just cowardice to allow the player to not engage with it

It ended up reducing No Russian to a set-piece rather than a 'powerful' work of storytelling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I'm not denying that Modern Warfare 2 has plot holes but it can't be the worst example of storytelling you've seen in a game. It at least tries to tell a story compared to God of War II/III where you just play as an angry man shouting revenge over and over or Resident Evil.

I'll admit the only Resident Evil I've played was 4 which had a passable story. It got the atmosphere right imo and did have some interesting characters, although I've been told the story is excessively ridiculous in the rest of the series.

God of War had a pretty crappy story and Kratos wasn't interesting in any way beyond looking cool but it was supposed to be like an ancient Greek story (which, based on the ones I know, are generally pretty rubbish by today's literary standards). What God of War did have were though was a great universe (which I personally consider to be a huge part of the story in a video game). The locations and enemies were good enough that I would still put it ahead of COD.
    While I didn't think that scene was good it was brave. I could see what they were going for but think the execution was lousy and it ultimately didn't work.

As for your points about it being unrealistic, I've been watching Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States and from other history sources something like that would be tame compared to many CIA operations :)

Haven't seen the documentary but I have, in passing, heard of a few of the CIAs shadier deals. I will even admit that I could totally have bought into the CIA doing something this bad, especially in a work of fiction. However, in all cases I know of there was a clear motivation for the CIA to do whatever they did and that was just absent from COD.

Just for the record, I could absolutely see a scene like this being done well and me loving it if the context was right and it worked well to make a point or to fit in with the story. My problem is that it seemed like a very conscious attempt to be brave (or be perceived as brave) rather than wanting to tackle something taboo in a controversial but mature manner and going ahead with it. I think "putting the cart before the horse" is the phrase that describes how I see it :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think "putting the cart before the horse" is the phrase that describes how I see it :)

I think this is what you are looking for:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Reekwind wrote: »
    I'd agree with you if they hadn't provided the cop out
    of letting you abstain from the shooting
    . In a game as controlling as CoD that's a striking concession and one that completely undermines the point of the mission. If you want to present an edgy and controversial topic like that then it's just cowardice to allow the player to not engage with it

It ended up reducing No Russian to a set-piece rather than a 'powerful' work of storytelling

It is one of the only times I can ever remember where a game made me feel like a cold-blooded murderer. That says a lot considering you take on the role of a serial killer in 95% of games. I'd call that powerful.
    Just for the record, I could absolutely see a scene like this being done well and me loving it if the context was right and it worked well to make a point or to fit in with the story. My problem is that it seemed like a very conscious attempt to be brave (or be perceived as brave) rather than wanting to tackle something taboo in a controversial but mature manner and going ahead with it. I think "putting the cart before the horse" is the phrase that describes how I see it :)

You basically described how I feel about story telling in almost all games. It is very difficult to get the context right when you have to fit a fun game in there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I can't believe I'm defending COD. What has happened to me :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Grimebox wrote: »
    I can't believe I'm defending COD. What has happened to me :pac:

EA are not hiring dude :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,083 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'll admit the only Resident Evil I've played was 4 which had a passable story. It got the atmosphere right imo and did have some interesting characters, although I've been told the story is excessively ridiculous in the rest of the series.

God of War had a pretty crappy story and Kratos wasn't interesting in any way beyond looking cool but it was supposed to be like an ancient Greek story (which, based on the ones I know, are generally pretty rubbish by today's literary standards). What God of War did have were though was a great universe (which I personally consider to be a huge part of the story in a video game). The locations and enemies were good enough that I would still put it ahead of COD.

I'm specifically talking about the story itself, though the world is important.
    The original God of War had a decent story and was quite original. Greek Mythology is nearly always awesome, it's just the angry shout man with swords murdering everyone thing got really old for me really quickly.
    Resi 4 I think was a bit of a mick-take on MGS in some ways. The atmosphere for me died after the lake. That's fine, because it had some nice set pieces and good sequences and is by no means a bad game. The characters could have been interesting if they were fleshed out but they didn't need to be. Resi 4 is an awesome shooter, no more. And that's perfectly fine with me. Stories only work in games if the developer can pull them off, otherwise you get a game loaded with crap (I'm looking at you, MGS4).

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement

I think this is what you are looking for:

But I love the Godfather...:(
    I'm specifically talking about the story itself, though the world is important.
    The original God of War had a decent story and was quite original. Greek Mythology is nearly always awesome, it's just the angry shout man with swords murdering everyone thing got really old for me really quickly.
    Resi 4 I think was a bit of a mick-take on MGS in some ways. The atmosphere for me died after the lake. That's fine, because it had some nice set pieces and good sequences and is by no means a bad game. The characters could have been interesting if they were fleshed out but they didn't need to be. Resi 4 is an awesome shooter, no more. And that's perfectly fine with me. Stories only work in games if the developer can pull them off, otherwise you get a game loaded with crap (I'm looking at you, MGS4).

Well I was 15 when I played Resi 4 so maybe I would view it differently now. I kind of felt like God of War was supposed to be a trilogy. It just didn't seem wrapped up fully at the end of 1, whereas it was by the end of 3 and for this reason I will probably never bother with Ascension. I still agree about the shouty man with the swords though, and the contrived reasons for making Kratos lose all his powers at the start of each game didn't help.

Well I was 15 when I played Resi 4 so maybe I would view it differently now. I kind of felt like God of War was supposed to be a trilogy. It just didn't seem wrapped up fully at the end of 1, whereas it was by the end of 3 and for this reason I will probably never bother with Ascension. I still agree about the shouty man with the swords though, and the contrived reasons for making Kratos lose all his powers at the start of each game didn't help.

Actually, God of War was only meant to be one game. It sold so well that it was decided to make it into a trilogy which is why some of the God's designs changed and so on.

Found GoW2 very disconnected with the first game. Kratos's story had come full circle so they just gave him another excuse to be angry by turning him from a psychopath to a complete bellend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Most of the good ones mentioned already but.

Call of Cthulhu dark corners of the earth. I love Lovecraft and really enjoyed this. Great chase at the start and good sound.

Vampire the masquerade bloodlines. Great game with good characters also steeped in the rpg game. Really under rated game.

Be warned though both games had some issues with rushed releases so there are some annoying issues.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Be warned though both games had some issues with rushed releases so there are some annoying issues.

I found this to be the case with Ico and Shadow of the Colossus too. I really liked them both but both had some really frustrating technical problems that made me want to break something.

I remember seeing Shadow of the Colossus on display somewhere with a frame rate of something like 15-20fps. Really put me off it. Got the HD re-release recently and it's an amazing game with a gorgeous soundtrack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭illuma

Final Fantasy 7, Deus Ex and the first Metal Gear Solid all had great stories. They are my fave.

Surprised a lot of the old Lucasarts games haven't been mentioned yet -

Grim Fandango has probably the best story of them all. Yes, it looks dated now, but the voice acting, atmosphere, music, and story are the most immersive of them all.

Monkey Island - definitely the first two. While the 3rd is my favourite (we won't mention the 4th, it never happened), it didn't have a story comparable to the previous 2.

I loved Mass Effect. Sure, its a plot that has been done before, but it was absolutely amazing throughout.

The World Ends With You on the DS had an excellent and immersive storyline, which I found rare for that platform (yes, seemingly the imported games are much better, but when I had my DS, there was nothing but kiddie-lite games.

Gears of War trilogy had an excellent storyline, that got you really immersed with what was happening and the characters.

No need to mention Walking Dead of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Surprised a lot of the old Lucasarts games haven't been mentioned yet -

Grim Fandango has probably the best story of them all. Yes, it looks dated now, but the voice acting, atmosphere, music, and story are the most immersive of them all.

Monkey Island - definitely the first two. While the 3rd is my favourite (we won't mention the 4th, it never happened), it didn't have a story comparable to the previous 2.

I loved Mass Effect. Sure, its a plot that has been done before, but it was absolutely amazing throughout.

The World Ends With You on the DS had an excellent and immersive storyline, which I found rare for that platform (yes, seemingly the imported games are much better, but when I had my DS, there was nothing but kiddie-lite games.

Gears of War trilogy had an excellent storyline, that got you really immersed with what was happening and the characters.

No need to mention Walking Dead of course.

Yeah I love the Lucasarts adventure games

I'd have Full Throttle up there with the monkey islands and grim fandango,
    it's not the longest but really enjoyable.
    Indy and the fate of atlantis is brilliant as well.

Wing commander 3 was another I really enjoyed back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

In no particular order, just what I can remember:

Metro 2033
    Metro: Last Light
    GTA 4
    Heavy Rain
    Uncharted 2
    Red Dead Redemption
    FF7
    Max Payne
    Mafia II
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    The Walking Dead
    Mass Effect 1, 2, 3
    Skyrim

There are many others I can't think of off the top of my head!

I only play singleplayer in games in general. A good story is the reason I love gaming. Now you can have good and great games that don't have a particularly memorable story (Far Cry, gears of war, COD etc.) but real gems like the ones above are everything that makes gaming important to me.

Particular mention to Mafia II (stunning production design and graphics and a slick presentation, it really made you feel like you were inside a 1950s gangster movie) and Red Dead Redemption (when it was over I remember sitting there staring at the screen thinking I've just experienced something incredible, almost interactive cinema). A mention has to go to Mass Effect, I reckon I'll play through them again on PC this time, just to experience it again. And I NEVER play through a game more than once. Incredible.

I reckon I'm in a minority here but multiplayer never features on my radar when I'm buying a game.

• Advertisement

Elessar wrote: »
    Now you can have good and great games that don't have a particularly memorable story (Far Cry, gears of war, COD etc.) but real gems like the ones above are everything that makes gaming important to me.

I'm like you, I rarely even join a lobby in a multi-player mode and I play single player games almost exclusively (the only multiplayer I do play is local).

That being said, I haven't played Far Cry 3 yet but I've heard loads of good things about its story. A lot of articles about story in video games in 2012 discussed Far Cry 3 and Spec Ops The Line and I'm really looking forward to getting into the former (already finished the latter twice). Might be worth looking into.

There's not one Final Fantasy game I'd consider having good writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Knights Of The Old Republic, brilliant!

There's not one Final Fantasy game I'd consider having good writing.

The PSP semi-remake of Final Fantasy Tactics had a decent script, even if I had no idea what was going on. Final Fantasy XII's script wasn't too bad, until everything fell apart at least.

The PSP semi-remake of Final Fantasy Tactics had a decent script, even if I had no idea what was going on. Final Fantasy XII's script wasn't too bad, until everything fell apart at least.

Funnily enough both were Matsuno games, he's a fantastic storyteller but those two were his worst, FFXII mostly due to development issues. I'm not sure about FFT on PSP, I played the original game on PS1 which has a legednarily bad translation. FFXII was good but you can tell which point Matsuno had left and the game had to be wrapped up quick.

Funnily enough both were Matsuno games, he's a fantastic storyteller but those two were his worst, FFXII mostly due to development issues. I'm not sure about FFT on PSP, I played the original game on PS1 which has a legednarily bad translation. FFXII was good but you can tell which point Matsuno had left and the game had to be wrapped up quick.

That's true but I think you can agree the story telling of both titles is far superior to the Final Fantasy standard.

That's true but I think you can agree the story telling of both titles is far superior to the Final Fantasy standard.

The guy created Tactics Ogre, a game dealing with ethnic cleansing written back in 1995 and based on the Balkan War. Matsuno certainly isn't the usual FF scenario writing hack :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Elessar wrote: »
    I reckon I'm in a minority here but multiplayer never features on my radar when I'm buying a game.

I'm of the exact same opinion of you, 90% of games I play I never even bother with the multiplayer part. Story or great gameplay is key for me or those special games that get the mix of both perfect, one of my favourite being the original Mafia. Most of the others have been mentioned multiple times in the thread but your mention of Mafia II brought memories of the original back.

True, I'm running through the PSP version at the moment and got quite the shock to be given a choice on that very subject.

• Advertisement

Going to add another here: The Last of Us. Bloody hell, what a way to tell a story, I've never felt so drained playing a video game before.

Advertisement