Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Kehoe's Australian Flights Cost the Taxpayer over €8,000.00

Options
  • 23-05-2013 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

:eek::eek:

http://www.wexfordecho.ie/2013/04/23/kehoes-australian-flights-cost-e8000/

Kehoe said that he did not know how much the trip had cost but said it "was frugal in comparison to the Fianna Fáil days".

"These trips are organised completely by the Department of Foreign Affairs. I just get on the plane and follow the itinerary."

Oh so that's ok then? What a tosser. We don't live in Fianna Fail days, and if they did it they'd be the same tossers wasting our money.

Why the hell was he going out there anyway for Paddy's Day? - A junket, pure and simple :mad::mad:

And then he comes up with this - !

http://www.wexfordecho.ie/2013/05/23/communities-to-work-on-roads/

I despair of this man.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

no problem with him going but would think they would look for flights that are better value. 8 grand for a flight. just shows you they are not living in the real world. complete idiot trying to justify it then aswell. our country is in safe hands

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

According to the Australian newspapers ,here is why PK went to Australia :

A valid reason don't you think .? - :)

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit Messr Doyle !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The problem lies with our civil servants it would appear. Its the same with the Kilkenny Fianna Fail man, John McGuiness, is having the same problems with a former office of his which was fitted out with secret doors and fancy toilet paper for €250k. He also says he had no idea the costs and had nothing to do with it.

Flights to Australia wouldn't be cheap anyway but I can't see Paul having the time to book with the awl state credit card. It would have been done for him and he would have been told what to do, where to go etc.

The title is misleading as it includes return flight's, internal flights, baggage and other fees. For two people. You would swear he blew 8k on his own personal flight.

These costs are a heck of a lot lower than other administrations but it does raise questions about department spending needing to be addressed.

Sully wrote: »
    The problem lies with our civil servants it would appear. Its the same with the Kilkenny Fianna Fail man, John McGuiness, is having the same problems with a former office of his which was fitted out with secret doors and fancy toilet paper for €250k. He also says he had no idea the costs and had nothing to do with it.

Flights to Australia wouldn't be cheap anyway but I can't see Paul having the time to book with the awl state credit card. It would have been done for him and he would have been told what to do, where to go etc.

The title is misleading as it includes return flight's, internal flights, baggage and other fees. For two people. You would swear he blew 8k on his own personal flight.

These costs are a heck of a lot lower than other administrations but it does raise questions about department spending needing to be addressed.

you should read the article again. minister kehoes return flights cost 6,500 approx not including internal flights baggage etc. this is obviously excessive. you can get a return flight to oz for about 900 euro.

just had a look at sullys previous posts because i was amazed that his reply mentioned a fianna fail td aswell as the ministers reply. he spends his time defending shatter too. lol sorry sully i didnt mean to question mr kehoe. i think it is totally appropriate to blame the civil servants and exonarate any fine gael td from any wrongdoing. in this case paul as you refer to him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

€8,000 is a bargain. Remember a few years ago the Irish private jet was used on the trips to places where there was dozens of flights per day anyway.

Long haul flights are very hard to get cheap. Like I dont see anything wrong with it. if it was economy.

hfallada wrote: »
    €8,000 is a bargain. Remember a few years ago the Irish private jet was used on the trips to places where there was dozens of flights per day anyway.

Long haul flights are very hard to get cheap. Like I dont see anything wrong with it. if it was economy.

it wasnt economy at these prices. id love to see his hotel bills. i remember seeing a picture of phil hogan a few months back on a trip cuddling up to one of his married assistants on one of these trips with a few glasses of wine. beggars belief what world these people are living in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

gowley wrote: »
    just had a look at sullys previous posts because i was amazed that his reply mentioned a fianna fail td aswell as the ministers reply. he spends his time defending shatter too. lol sorry sully i didnt mean to question mr kehoe. i think it is totally appropriate to blame the civil servants and exonarate any fine gael td from any wrongdoing. in this case paul as you refer to him

Sorry, I didn't know we weren't allowed compare similar incidents if it involves Fianna Fail. I take it your a fan of the party that effectively bankrupt the state?

I didn't defend Shatter either, read over my posts again and do a better job of snooping.

The civil servants do a lot of this type of stuff, so yes the finger should point at them. But as I said, it highlights a problem which needs to be examined to see if they are spending state money wisely and not overspending.

Also his name is Paul. I don't see why I can't call him that? Has he some sort of special status that I am missing, that requires me to address him by a different title? Wait, are you a Sinn Fein supporter? I read they like to ensure their party leader is addressed by his proper title alright so I guess I see why you want me to do the same with Paul.

https://twitter.com/chrisrdonoghue/status/276203093941686274
    now heres another minister on an important trip in a 5 star hotel. i am not a supporter of any political party because they are all milking the system. i think this is inappropriate for a minister on a trip paid for by the taxpayer to be carrying on like this. i also think pauls flights were excessive and for him to justify it by claming it is cheap compared to the previouss government and blaiming civil servants is a total cop out.

you should read the article again. minister kehoes return flights cost 6,500 approx not including internal flights baggage etc. this is obviously excessive. you can get a return flight to oz for about 900 euro.

What article are you reading?

The one I read in the original post said it was 2k over and 4k back. He flew home from a different airport. Baggage fees and transaction fees. These figures were including times two as he had a private secretary with him.

I'm sure he was also constrained to dates thus ruling out cheaper flights on different days.

As regards to Phil (am I allowed call him that?), I can't see any problem with him having a break and a drink of wine or whatever after a days work.

The funny thing here is that all this governments flight costs are waaaay down on previous Fianna Fail administration. Even Sinn Fein splash the cash when going abroad - club class, expensive hotels, expensive restaurants. Heck the Independents are even at it - Luke Ming Flanagan being one.

Non story.

• Advertisement

What article are you reading?

The one I read in the original post said it was 2k over and 4k back. He flew home from a different airport. Baggage fees and transaction fees. These figures were including times two as he had a private secretary with him.

I'm sure he was also constrained to dates thus ruling out cheaper flights on different days.

As regards to Phil (am I allowed call him that?), I can't see any problem with him having a break and a drink of wine or whatever after a days work.

The funny thing here is that all this governments flight costs are waaaay down on previous Fianna Fail administration. Even Sinn Fein splash the cash when going abroad - club class, expensive hotels, expensive restaurants. Heck the Independents are even at it - Luke Ming Flanagan being one.

Non story.
    just because previous tds did it doesnt make it right. what they have done has ordinary people in trouble. have the government not learned from previous mistakes. the problem i see with phil was that he was on a state sponsored trip with his special advisor and was clearly cuddling up to her over a couple of drinks paid for the taxpayer. she was also in a relationship at the time but thats not phils fault. the flights and accomodation paid is clearly excessive and to justify is wrong imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Politics forum?

This has nothing to do with Wexford really.. just the fact that the government chief whip happens to come from Wexford... but that has nothing to do with ministerial expenses.

Maybe even the Wateford forum.. I get the sense that some love is overflowing from the Waterford forum into Wexford.

Politics forum no.

I started it in the Wexford forum as he's a Wexford politician and it's a story from the Wexford Echo.

If I wanted to start it in the politics forum id have done just that.

I'll respond to comments above later.

Feel free to start a similar thread of your own in the politics forum if you wish

No, I'm not bother starting another thread about it... I really just don't care enough.

Fact is... it's not about Paul Kehoe and it's not about Wexford... it's about ministerial expenses... there's a bigger picture and it has nothing to do with Wexford.

I flew to the states with my company 2 weeks ago and I have no idea whatsoever what it cost, in fact I'm too busy to care. Should Paul care... yes he should. Did he care no he didn't. Okay Paul.. message is... start caring.

If anyone needs to tell him that you know where you can find him. He's easy enough to access in Enniscorthy.

Simples... and without any need for a week's worth of witch hunting or FF v FG crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

It's all down to perspective really. Whereas most people might consider 8000e for a return ticket for Kehoe to Australia to be excessive, I'm sure those same people would gladly pay 8000e for a single ticket for him.

just because previous tds did it doesnt make it right. what they have done has ordinary people in trouble. have the government not learned from previous mistakes. the problem i see with phil was that he was on a state sponsored trip with his special advisor and was clearly cuddling up to her over a couple of drinks paid for the taxpayer. she was also in a relationship at the time but thats not phils fault. the flights and accomodation paid is clearly excessive and to justify is wrong imo.

Of course it doesn't make it right, but its worth pointing out how things are done differently from previous governments or parties. Its all about perspective. I have absolutely no idea what it would cost to get to Australia but I would have expected it to be in and around 1k sh single. Which seems to be about right, but when you add up the figures and interconnecting flights it looks expensive and that's what the papers love.

It raises the ugly head of expenses, which isn't for this forum to be fair, and how staff handle these costs. I wouldn't expect Paul to have much of a say but I would like it if he, and others, ensured costs were kept as low as possible. Which is happening. :)

jpb1974 wrote: »
    No, I'm not bother starting another thread about it... I really just don't care enough.

Fact is... it's not about Paul Kehoe and it's not about Wexford... it's about ministerial expenses... there's a bigger picture and it has nothing to do with Wexford.

I flew to the states with my company 2 weeks ago and I have no idea whatsoever what it cost, in fact I'm too busy to care. Should Paul care... yes he should. Did he care no he didn't. Okay Paul.. message is... start caring.

If anyone needs to tell him that you know where you can find him. He's easy enough to access in Enniscorthy.

Simples... and without any need for a week's worth of witch hunting or FF v FG crap.

Obviously not busy enough when you have time to write about stuff you don't care about - "I really just don't care enough":rolleyes:

If you just don't care then don't bother posting :).

Kehoe was elected in Co.Wexford and the thread is here as it's aimed people who frequent the Wexford forum.

This is not a FG v FF or other against another thread hence it not being posted in the politics forum (there is probably a thousand similar threads over there).

It's NOT about ministerial expenses, it's about keeping tabs on a local representative elected by the people of Wexford. I would start one about Howlin too if I came across similar information.

With all that out of the way....

The point of the thread is to illustrate how our politicians are still taking us for a ride when they can afford to send Kehoe and Howlin and the likes on Junkets around the world for Paddy's day.

Over €8,000.00 on a trip for one politician is bullsh1te when there are people in Wexford struggling to make ends meet. What did Kehoe do to deserve an all expenses trip to New Zealand and Australia on the taxpayer? I'd love to know.

Simples.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Mod Note
    Guys I know that most of you here feel that since Paul Kehoe is from Wexford that the topic should be discussed here. And I know most of you feel Ministerial expenses should be discussed in the Politics forums.

After reading through some of the posts I am leaving this thread open and here in Wexford for the time been but if this thread or the wexford forum get over run with TIT for TAT posters spouting politics like what happened last year with the MicK Wallace thread then i am locking this thread.

Obviously not busy enough when you have time to write about stuff you don't care about

Sure why would I start another thread about it.. we already have one thread, and politics isn't exactly my thing.

And fair enough.. if you want to be the Wexford Politician Police then good for you, but I really urge that you go speak with the relevant people. I'm not even sure singling in on one individual is going to cure a far bigger problem. In fact.. you should really be venting your frustrations towards Brendan Howlin, it's his job to ensure that the money is being spent wisely.

And a few smilies thrown in... :rolleyes::)... for whatever worth they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

jpb1974 wrote: »

I have flown to the states 4/5 times with work last year. Each time i was asked to care. We have a travel agent that books flights and we give them the days required. He comes back with the range of options. I have to justify the more expensive ones.

Same for any regular flights taken to the UK

That is how it works in the real world in a company were the finance is audited correctly.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    I have flown to the states 4/5 times with work last year. Each time i was asked to care. We have a travel agent that books flights and we give them the days required. He comes back with the range of options. I have to justify the more expensive ones.

Same for any regular flights taken to the UK

That is how it works in the real world in a company were the finance is audited correctly.

A good friend of mine works for a large company and travels around Europe for work every week. He books his own flights, hotels etc. and doesn't go with budget airlines or hotels - his company doesn't care. Its only if he takes the absolute piss do they step in.

I'm not given options... I just take what is given. Managers approve the costs and everything fits within a budget.

That way I get to concentrate on what I'm good at and there's other people who's job it is to worry about the admin.

Of course it doesn't make it right, but its worth pointing out how things are done differently from previous governments or parties. Its all about perspective. I have absolutely no idea what it would cost to get to Australia but I would have expected it to be in and around 1k sh single. Which seems to be about right, but when you add up the figures and interconnecting flights it looks expensive and that's what the papers love.

It raises the ugly head of expenses, which isn't for this forum to be fair, and how staff handle these costs. I wouldn't expect Paul to have much of a say but I would like it if he, and others, ensured costs were kept as low as possible. Which is happening. :)
    Minister’s Kehoe’s flight from Dublin to Perth on March 7 cost the State €2,211.49, while his return flight from Brisbane on March 22 cost €4,345.86

this is a quote from the article. you can get a return flight for under 1,000 euro.
    the interconnecting flights were very reasonable but his return flights cost over 6,500 euro were very excessive so whoever is ensuring costs are kept low isnt doing his or her job. just to repeat his return flights were over 6,500 NOT INCLUDING interconnecting flights and transfers that you have quoted above to defend the costs. now if you think this is reasonable then i give up

Minister’s Kehoe’s flight from Dublin to Perth on March 7 cost the State €2,211.49, while his return flight from Brisbane on March 22 cost €4,345.86

this is a quote from the article. you can get a return flight for under 1,000 euro.
    the interconnecting flights were very reasonable but his return flights cost over 6,500 euro were very excessive so whoever is ensuring costs are kept low isnt doing his or her job. just to repeat his return flights were over 6,500 NOT INCLUDING interconnecting flights and transfers that you have quoted above to defend the costs. now if you think this is reasonable then i give up

Your going back over old ground, I addressed those points last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 cesaro

What was our beloved Minister doing in Australia anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

cesaro wrote: »
    What was our beloved Minister doing in Australia anyway?

The same as all the other TD's that went swanning around the world-feck all.In all the years that they head abroad for Paddy's Day I've yet to see any results on jobs,exports etc.
    Brendan Howlin was in Singapore & I'd class that as another wasted trip.

The county has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country and the number of under 25's out of work is the 3rd highest in Ireland,we have 3 TD's yet nothing is being done by them to address this.

Nobody would mind these trips if something constructive came about from them but all they seem to be are glorified holidays with a few photo opportunities thrown in.

Your going back over old ground, I addressed those points last night.

look back at your posts. you quoted the prices wrong. you put a spin on it. you addressed incorrect facts. come on. if your going to quote figures at least quote accurate ones.

I'm a little lost, and I am not being sarcastic but how does a flight home referenced in the article at €4,345.86 suddenly jump by 2k?

Also it is my reading from the article that the interconnecting flights and transfers were not included.
    The Government Chief Whip’s trip included eight different flights both international and domestic,

Source: http://www.wexfordecho.ie/2013/04/23/kehoes-australian-flights-cost-e8000/

I'm also of the understanding from the article that these fees cover two people, not one?

I'm a little lost, and I am not being sarcastic but how does a flight home referenced in the article at €4,345.86 suddenly jump by 2k?

Also it is my reading from the article that the interconnecting flights and transfers were not included.

Source: http://www.wexfordecho.ie/2013/04/23/kehoes-australian-flights-cost-e8000/

I'm also of the understanding from the article that these fees cover two people, not one?

flight out 2k+ flight back 4k+ = 6k return ie to go and get back from aus

• Advertisement

flight out 2k+ flight back 4k+ = 6k return ie to go and get back from aus

Oh sorry, I thought you meant return on its own. Yeah, that was an obvious one I missed! :rolleyes: :o

Flight home would be more expensive as he was travelling from the opposite side of Australia.

Advertisement