Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how many chickens will fit?

• 23-05-2013 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

moveing to a new house and have plenty of garden space so thinking of getting chickens,

heres 2 iv seen look to be good value.

could anyone tell me how many chickens both hold

first one
    http://www.inthemarket.ie/chicken-house/

and the second one
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/poultry/4620048

the second one i was going to get with only nesting boxes on one side so id have the other €50 i save to make a run then
    says 6-10 but with nesting boxes only on one side how many would it hold?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

so have been checking up for the past few hours and found this

http://ecorenovator.org/chicken-coo-built-pallets/

seems like something i could do and would save me a few bob.

anyone know how many chickens id fit? id assume only 3/4? would i be right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I have the same coop as the second photo in your original post. It fits 6 hens. The number of nest boxes isnt an issue, as long as you have more than one box - they dont all lay at the same time, but there will be aggro if there isnt a nest when a 2nd girl wants to lay!! That coop is pretty good - very easy to get at the eggs, and to clean out (I line the slide out floor with thick sheets of newspaper, the just lift the whole lot out into the compost bin once a week) The only thing is that with all coops, RED MITE :mad: is a real problem - so one with less nooks/cranny's for the little beggars to collect in is best. Anything you buy or make, if you paint the inside with whitewash/paint it will be easier to see them, and to clean out.

If you are into DIY the pallet coop is grand - consider cleaning and egg collecting when you make it - my husband is a DIY expert but 1st coop was a disaster :rolleyes: kneeling on the wet ground to do either is a pain. Just make sure its as draught free as you can make it. Red mite will collect under felt if you cover the roof with that (I am battling an infestation at the moment, so Im obsessed!) Nest boxes can be anything - a basket a box a drawer - just line it with a bit of straw (not hay) Make sure it has a door that can be closed at night to keep them safe from predators

The most important thing is their RUN - the more space you can give them the better - spend your $$ on that rather than the house - they'd be happy in a wendy house or old dog kennel as long as its dry and draught free.

Good luck - they are such a great interest/pets, you will soon love keeping hens. The eggs are fantastic. Oh and final bit of advice - their MAIN diet should always be layers pellets - perfect egg-making food!

Sorry for the rant - can you tell Im a hen lover?!?

p.s if you put a couple of perches (broom handle width) into the pallet-house, it could take 6 with a couple of nestboxes. They cuddle up when its cold or sleep in the nest boxes too.

aonb wrote: »
    I have the same coop as the second photo in your original post. It fits 6 hens. The number of nest boxes isnt an issue, as long as you have more than one box - they dont all lay at the same time, but there will be aggro if there isnt a nest when a 2nd girl wants to lay!! That coop is pretty good - very easy to get at the eggs, and to clean out (I line the slide out floor with thick sheets of newspaper, the just lift the whole lot out into the compost bin once a week) The only thing is that with all coops, RED MITE :mad: is a real problem - so one with less nooks/cranny's for the little beggars to collect in is best. Anything you buy or make, if you paint the inside with whitewash/paint it will be easier to see them, and to clean out.

If you are into DIY the pallet coop is grand - consider cleaning and egg collecting when you make it - my husband is a DIY expert but 1st coop was a disaster :rolleyes: kneeling on the wet ground to do either is a pain. Just make sure its as draught free as you can make it. Red mite will collect under felt if you cover the roof with that (I am battling an infestation at the moment, so Im obsessed!) Nest boxes can be anything - a basket a box a drawer - just line it with a bit of straw (not hay) Make sure it has a door that can be closed at night to keep them safe from predators

The most important thing is their RUN - the more space you can give them the better - spend your $$ on that rather than the house - they'd be happy in a wendy house or old dog kennel as long as its dry and draught free.

Good luck - they are such a great interest/pets, you will soon love keeping hens. The eggs are fantastic. Oh and final bit of advice - their MAIN diet should always be layers pellets - perfect egg-making food!

Sorry for the rant - can you tell Im a hen lover?!?

p.s if you put a couple of perches (broom handle width) into the pallet-house, it could take 6 with a couple of nestboxes. They cuddle up when its cold or sleep in the nest boxes too.

i think ill have a go at the DIY one first, if it doesnt work out ill not be out too much. my parents keep chickens and they have the entire shed lined with felt. iv never noticed any red mites? it is a big shed tho.

if i was makeing my own id have to line the roof, i cant see any other way of waterproofing it so it would last.

i have considered the cleaning out, was planing on leaving it so one side could be opened completely, and add in a few nest boxes out from the back.

as for it sitting on the ground i was thinking of driveing 4 posts for it to sit on so its raised up a bit.

thanks for the info ill hopefully get to makeing it in the next week or 2 and post up a few pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

look forward to seeing some pics!
    You could always put it on 4 concrete blocks, if you dont want to raise it too high. The advantage to raising it high, with a ridged ramp for the girls to climb up would be that they in theory would be safer from foxes at night.
    Yes appreciate the felt is your best roof option - could you use corrugated iron/plastic? - its just Im plagued or rather the hens are plagued with red mite at the moment, so its an issue with me.
    Since you're used to hens have you considered rescuing some ex-battery hens - they look dreadful for a little while, but have only a year of laying done, and you should get them for free?? If you want the name of a very reputable producer of point of lay hens let me know - he comes from co. cork calling at towns all the way up to blessington etc (Im assuming you are in dublin)

aonb wrote: »
    look forward to seeing some pics!
    You could always put it on 4 concrete blocks, if you dont want to raise it too high. The advantage to raising it high, with a ridged ramp for the girls to climb up would be that they in theory would be safer from foxes at night.
    Yes appreciate the felt is your best roof option - could you use corrugated iron/plastic? - its just Im plagued or rather the hens are plagued with red mite at the moment, so its an issue with me.
    Since you're used to hens have you considered rescuing some ex-battery hens - they look dreadful for a little while, but have only a year of laying done, and you should get them for free?? If you want the name of a very reputable producer of point of lay hens let me know - he comes from co. cork calling at towns all the way up to blessington etc (Im assuming you are in dublin)

im actually from monaghan but ill check around and see if anywer local has them.

my other option for the roof would be slates over the wood but id assume that may cause a similar risk, ill look into galvanised sheets.

either way i want to have everything set up properly before i even consider getting them :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement