Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for transaction appearing on your account after purchase

Options
  • 23-05-2013 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Just Wondering whats the longest anyone has seen a transaction to take to appear on your bank account.

I'm with ulster bank and have a visa debit account and normally transactions appear as soon as they are made with no name on them for a day or two and it appears after that and that's it.

I'm on a weeks holidays this week and was out having lunch today it was down the country and went to pay for lunch using card to have it declined.
    I knew there was over 200 euro in bank on Tuesday and i hadn't went near it as had cash on for the few days away.

After being so embarrassed luckily i just had enough in cash to pay for lunch.

I looked up mobile banking app to see a transaction gone through dated today with no description for €249.
    I rang ulster bank as i thought id been skimmed or something and was told that it was a transaction from the 15th of April this year, and that it could take up to 12 months :eek::eek: For the transaction to appear on your account from the supplier.

The supplier in question is a well known store in Ireland

I was Pretty sure that the transaction was on the account on the day it was bought but when i look back on my history it has seemed to disappear.

How are you suppose to keep track of your account if suppliers are allowed to hold transactions for up to 12 months without applying them to your account????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Aldi by any chance? I actually just came on this forum to ask a similar question. With AIB online, once a sale goes through on the debit card, it has always shown up immediately in the "pending transaction" section and states the supplier name who's received payment. It then usually takes a few days for it to go through and show up on the actual statement.

The other day I made 3 purchases on my Visa Debit, 2 from IKEA as expected, showed up immediately, 1 from Aldi hasn't shown up at all in the pending transactions and there's no evidence of it having gone through. I double checked the receipt and it has the last 3 digits of the card etc. In the mean time the IKEA payments have shown up on the statement and still nothing from Aldi.

I'm not sure in your case, was the amount taken from your "available" balance and it just took them 40 days to process it, or was there no evidence of all? With ulster bank your balance will change but you won't see anything for a few days, just POS or similar transaction but no names for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

cormie wrote: »
    Aldi by any chance? I actually just came on this forum to ask a similar question. With AIB online, once a sale goes through on the debit card, it has always shown up immediately in the "pending transaction" section and states the supplier name who's received payment. It then usually takes a few days for it to go through and show up on the actual statement.

The other day I made 3 purchases on my Visa Debit, 2 from IKEA as expected, showed up immediately, 1 from Aldi hasn't shown up at all in the pending transactions and there's no evidence of it having gone through. I double checked the receipt and it has the last 3 digits of the card etc. In the mean time the IKEA payments have shown up on the statement and still nothing from Aldi.

I'm not sure in your case, was the amount taken from your "available" balance and it just took them 40 days to process it, or was there no evidence of all? With ulster bank your balance will change but you won't see anything for a few days, just POS or similar transaction but no names for a few days.

It was meteor for a New phone bought in a store.

Im nearly sure it was on the bank in the pending status when i bought it but not sure if it ever came up a meteor after that but when when its in the pending area The balance reflects the correct amount .

How Long have you being waiting for the tranaction to appear?

I dont mind a few Days for a transaction to complete but 40 Days is a bit Long and a year is a joke altogether..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Pending: not quite. The amount was simply "authorised". That doesn't mean that it will be deducted immediately following, just that the payment request has been approved and the bank holds the funds for a short period in case the transaction comes in.

Authorisations expire, but it doesn't mean that the transaction is no longer valid. The merchant has quite a long window to present the transaction

You keep a track by checking regularily and matching outgoing payments to statement entries (as opposed to just seeing a pending and assuming it has been processed).

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Citizen2011

With AIB and recently put through a laser transaction and with cash back it camr to approx Euro250. Came up immediately on pending transactions but stayed there for seven days and then disappeared without clearing from the account.
    I thought I was quids and was up Euro 250 but then about 2 weeks after it was debited from my account. I think if you have a receipt with an authorisation number it will come out of your account and even put you into Overdraft as happened in my case even though I had no OD limit. Then was hit with an overlimit unsanctioned fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

I have two Ulster bank accounts both with Visa Debit cards. One account shows transactions instantly. The only other one seems to take 3 days before showing a visa debit transaction.

• Advertisement

Just checked my bank there now and it shows

23 May 2013 POS 4013 16APR13 , METEOR HENRY , STREET , DUBLIN . IE - 249.00

Only thing is i bought it in dundrum not henry Street havnt been in Henry Street in about 3 years bit strange??

So buffy is saying that the Money comes out of the account in pending area if its not claimed within a Week or so the funds are released to Me again without Any record of this and that it Can be claimed again within the next 12 months??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I bought something in the loop and it took 6 months for the transaction to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Pretty much yes: it is up to you to reconcile your spending.

Locations don't mean much: simply where they might be registered. I bought an Air Canada ticket the other week and it shows as being processed in Paris - simply as that is where their payments for European customers are processed.

Thanks for that Seems a silly way to work a banking system tho.

In a world that seems to be going cashless this would put me off using the card for payments and just taking cash from an ATM instead.

The time limit should be a lot less than 12 months for a business to claim the money 30 days max maybe.
    Or at least the bank should hold it until it is claimed and if its not then lodge it back into the account and the business loses it cant understand why a business wouldn't claim it at the end of the day when they till up.

its hard to keep track of every single transaction going through the account as its a joint account.

Maybe this was not the normal thing to happen i.e a once off but will be deffo keeping a closer eye on it now

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

cormie wrote: »

So this was taken from my account today and is on the main account transaction page, yet it never appeared in "pending transactions" the whole time since purchase!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

vickers209 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Seems a silly way to work a banking system tho.

What's silly about it?
    In a world that seems to be going cashless this would put me off using the card for payments and just taking cash from an ATM instead.

The time limit should be a lot less than 12 months for a business to claim the money 30 days max maybe.
    Or at least the bank should hold it until it is claimed and if its not then lodge it back into the account and the business loses it cant understand why a business wouldn't claim it at the end of the day when they till up.

Because businesses can have hundreds or thousands of these receipts in a week. It makes sense to get a bunch of them together and do it once a week rather than every day. The bank doesn't have to hold it for any length, really. They do it in case you just keep spending and forget about your pending transactions and then end up massively overdrawn. The reason it goes back into you available balance is that the bank doesn't actually know what went on with your transaction. It could have been a pre-authorisation or a voided transaction taht you ended up paying with cash. They leave the hold there for a reasonable amount of time so as to allow for the company to claim the money (if they are going to) and for you to not be too put out (if they are not). Makes perfect sense.
    its hard to keep track of every single transaction going through the account as its a joint account.

Maybe this was not the normal thing to happen i.e a once off but will be deffo keeping a closer eye on it now

It should really never be hard to keep track of every transaction, joint account or not; but that's just my opinion.

Because businesses can have hundreds or thousands of these receipts in a week. It makes sense to get a bunch of them together and do it once a week rather than every day

Yes once a week would be acceptable but 40 days after initial transaction is not
    It should really never be hard to keep track of every transaction, joint account or not; but that's just my opinion.

Its hard to keep track when we both work 6 days a week and was using the card for 95% of transactions even just picking up something even for a couple of euro.
    They do it in case you just keep spending and forget about your pending transactions and then end up massively overdrawn

As Happened me while on holidays down the country after ordering lunch to find the card was declined but instead it was nearly six weeks after the purchase.

What's silly about it?

Once the purchase appeared on the pending list i presumed it was done and i didn't have to check everyday to see had it completed.

The reason it goes back into you available balance is that the bank doesn't actually know what went on with your transaction. It could have been a pre-authorisation or a voided transaction that you ended up paying with cash

In the case of a voided transaction it normally returns to your account within a couple of days in my experience.
    So Why Cant it be the same the other way Around?

Maybe it was an over-site by meteor as they forgot to process it or something but i feel the time limit to claim transactions should be greatly reduced from 1 year to maybe 30 days.

Advertisement