Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has my new machine been used already?

• 24-05-2013 12:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    First time posting in this corner of Boards as I've just taken the plunge into the world of coffee machines.
    I'm just after buying a Gaggia bean to cup machine and I got the last one the shop had.After working in retail years ago I never like to hear "that's the last one." I had my concerns that the box looked resealed, so took the machine out and gave it a good look over.Packaging certainly looked like it had already been out of the box,couldn't find the power lead but eventually found it in the water tank.:confused:
    I took the brewing group out of the machine and found traces of coffee in the part where the coffee is compacted and more traces on the sides of the shoot where you load pre-ground coffee.Bean hopper looked clean and unused.

I'm just wondering if these units are tested in the factory before shipping and hence the traces of coffee I found? I think it unlikely but no harm in asking before I contact the shop.
    I fear I'm after getting a returned or ex-display machine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Your fears seem to be well founded...

But what do you fear? Is it working properly?

If it is I'd brew away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

I didn't turn it on at all. What with the packaging and then seeing the coffee I just said that's going back. Part of the brewing group was at a strange angle also that needed popping back into place. What's lurking in the parts I can't see. How long has that coffee been in it.

When you spend a fairly large lump of money on something you'd like to think you're it's first user.

I'd send it back if you're not happy with it, try and get the same salesperson if possible.

catallus wrote: »
    I'd send it back if you're not happy with it, try and get the same salesperson if possible.

I'll give them a call in the morning. Just wanted to make sure the coffee found wasn't a result of a production test run and the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Its probably one that was refunded. The issue is that the system could have been left with residue for ages and could start to go off... can coffee go off?

• Advertisement

I've only ever bought two machines in my life, but no coffee in them and I'd find it unusual if there was. If it was the last one in the shop, like you said, I'd look for cash-back and go to a different store.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Hmmm, it'll be difficult for you to prove to the store that it was like that upon opening. Shops got tonnes of people chancing their arm returning used goods, so try and get the same sales person.

I don't know if you'll get cash back, I'd say the most you'd get is credit, if anything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hi folks,
    First time posting in this corner of Boards as I've just taken the plunge into the world of coffee machines.
    I'm just after buying a Gaggia bean to cup machine and I got the last one the shop had.After working in retail years ago I never like to hear "that's the last one." I had my concerns that the box looked resealed, so took the machine out and gave it a good look over.Packaging certainly looked like it had already been out of the box,couldn't find the power lead but eventually found it in the water tank.:confused:
    I took the brewing group out of the machine and found traces of coffee in the part where the coffee is compacted and more traces on the sides of the shoot where you load pre-ground coffee.Bean hopper looked clean and unused.

I'm just wondering if these units are tested in the factory before shipping and hence the traces of coffee I found? I think it unlikely but no harm in asking before I contact the shop.
    I fear I'm after getting a returned or ex-display machine.

When I bought my Silvia there was a note saying that there may be traces of coffee in the machine due to testing at the factory and to run some water through it before use.

I doubt it's that unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

I've worked in retail sales and manager roles for years. Call them immediately and explain the situation. Get the persons name for future reference and tell them what you want. You were mislead in buying something as new that wasn't new so you have every right to a refund or a replacement, your choice not theirs. If they give you grief pm me and I'll explain how to go about getting the next course of action. Chances are they'll say ok and give you what they want. Be factual polite and firm and don't accept anything less because you were mislead and they are fully at fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I bought my second coffee machine from Bellabarista. As a company policy they test their coffee machines to avoid "first use disappointment" or something like this.

What they do run a few pre checks off a list which is included when the machine arrives so you can see that the machine was tested and what the values/results were (ie pressure, etc).

But they did tell me they were doing this in advance and never tried to hide it!

Somehow I doubt your problem is like this but I thought you should know

And funny enough my machine had an issue when I switched it for the first time as some water that had remain from the test had obstructed the pressure valve. All I had to do is ring them and they walk me through the fix, I will def recommend them anyhow

• Advertisement

Quick update. Rang the shop this morning and explained my concerns, chap said the machines are tested with coffee before leaving the factory.Said I thought it strange they weren't cleaned out better if that was the case. To put my mind at ease they had no problem letting me bring my unit back and they'd open up another box and compare them.
    The other one had much the same ground coffee traces all over the machine,so I was happy to agree that it's the norm. I read the manual front to back last night but didn't find any mention of coffee residual.
    They even let me have the unit they opened in front of me,clearly not a resealed box.

Now this is where I feel a bit stupid,the only piece of paper I didn't read last night I thought was some spiel about the power lead and voltage,but I read it this evening. It states that machine has been tested and not to worry about coffee residual found in machine. D'oh!!!!!:o:o:o

Have to give credit where it's due, to the staff I dealt with in Harvey Norman.
    They had no problem letting me compare different units to put my mind at ease.Gave me the sealed unit. They even offered to deliver out a replacement machine if I couldn't make it back to the shop this evening.

All that's left now is to start making coffee.:)

Thanks for the replies.;)

Advertisement