Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a car , Whats the procedure?

Options
  • 24-05-2013 6:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Hi, im currently in Brisbane and looking for carpentry work but any work will do at the moment, but everything really relies around having a car or ute. Whats the procedure in getting a car bought ,taxed and insured here. Since im more than likely going to have to go down this route if I do want carpentry work. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You need to have CTP (compulsory third pary insuranc), rego (car registration/tax) and if he car is over 5 years old (at least in NSW) a roadworthy cert.

CTP cover for 3rd party injury only - not damage to the 3rd party car.

So if you are to buy a car look for one with a decent rego on it (ideally a year), you buy the car, transfer ownership via RTA (and pay a transfer tax)

I think that's the basics anyway, I'm in NSW so I might have missed anything for QLD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

how important is getting a car? Im going to Sydney in a few months on a WHV. Ideally I wouldnt like to get one but I just thinking how hard will it be to search for jobs, go shopping etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

NinjaK wrote: »
    how important is getting a car? Im going to Sydney in a few months on a WHV. Ideally I wouldnt like to get one but I just thinking how hard will it be to search for jobs, go shopping etc..
    Depends on your job, but transport in Sydney is good, if you live in inner city you can easily not have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

NinjaK wrote: »
    As above, depends on the job.
    Self employed in a trade, you'll need one.
    Office admin, you won't.

You don't need a car to go shopping in you leave inner city or close to a shopping centre.

Advertisement