Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Generic or alternative brands of medicine? Online?

• 24-05-2013 8:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I've got a boxer bitch who has had urinary incontinence for a few years now. I understand it's a chronic thing which will be with her for the foreseeable future.

She's on incurin tablets and propalin syrup to manage it, but the costs are pretty high, and my dad said they've gone higher lately. Costing me about €70 a month. Seems like a bit of a scam!

I havent researched it at all, but I'm wondering are there cheaper alternatives to buying directly from the vet? I assume I can get a prescription from the vet.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I think some chemists dispense so you may make a saving there - maybe post your location and somebody might know of one. As for buying online - sites in the UK will only give you meds from a uk perscription afaik? Then there's the whole buying perscription medicines online and having them posted to Ireland being illegal...yet it's ok to bring them yourself in baggage etc :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I just had a look at Vet Uk, they have the tablets you get at 35 pence a pill and the syrup at 9 pounds and 1 penny. I buy some things from there from time to time and you will need a prescription from your vet. Viovet have them a few pence cheaper than that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Dave! wrote: »
    Hey,

I've got a boxer bitch who has had urinary incontinence for a few years now. I understand it's a chronic thing which will be with her for the foreseeable future.

She's on incurin tablets and propalin syrup to manage it, but the costs are pretty high, and my dad said they've gone higher lately. Costing me about €70 a month. Seems like a bit of a scam!

I havent researched it at all, but I'm wondering are there cheaper alternatives to buying directly from the vet? I assume I can get a prescription from the vet.

Thanks

I feel your pain I buy the big propalin and it is over €70! I have pet insurance but if I didn't I would definately ask the vet for a prescription and buy online. I have used a few uk ones for for wormers and flea treatments, medicanimal, viovet, nutrecare, petmeds etc and never had a problem

Advertisement