Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft teasing big 360 announcement

• 24-05-2013 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

Microsoft Game Studios exec Phil Spencer has declared that the company will continue to support the Xbox 360 platform for "years to come," despite revealing its long-term next generation plans yesterday with Xbox One.

Speaking to Gamespot, Spencer also claimed that the company has a "huge" Xbox 360 announcement up its sleeve for next month's E3.

"I think the [Xbox 360] is going to be very vibrant for many years. In fact, we have a huge [Xbox 360] announcement for E3 that I keep wanting to talk about, but I can't," Spencer said. "I think it will surprise people. I loved what we did last year with Minecraft; bring Minecraft to the box; six million units later it's kind of a beast. I think there's a lot of life in the [Xbox 360] for years to come."

Any thoughts as to what that 'huge' announcement might be? Meanwhile, Microsoft hardware group general manager Leo Del Castillo recently told OXM that the Xbox One is designed to be more about flexibility and elegance than sheer brute force. If you're interested to find out what games have been announced for the Xbox One, you can find them all in our very handy one-stop

http://www.oxm.co.uk/54572/huge-xbox-36 ... any-years/

Interesting. Related to the Xbox one maybe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Unless it's bc I couldn't give a flying fcuk, actually even if it is bc I still couldn't give a fcuk, ms have to do an awful lot of work to convince me on the one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Uncharted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

More dog's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

360 without a disk drive that clips into your Xbox One to allow backward compatibility for digital games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

More than likely a cut price entry level model to squeeze a few more sales out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

New TV features .............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've learned long ago that when a company says they have a "huge" announcement, the actual announcement is disappointing and largely irrelevant to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

A new hat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

One thing that caught my eye during the One presentation was the phrase "future proof" (a bit of a no-no word).... but they never really dealt with.

So I'm hoping they'll have one of those streaming game services like Onlive that works with both 360 and One... (maybe even a streaming alternative to PS Plus!)

Could be "future proof", let 360 gamers give MS money for years to come without the NEED to upgrade, and use the cloud well.
    Unless it's bc I couldn't give a flying fcuk, actually even if it is bc I still couldn't give a fcuk, ms have to do an awful lot of work to convince me on the one

anouncement is about 360 not the One

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    More than likely a cut price entry level model to squeeze a few more sales out of it.

There's only one model so far as they've said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

The red ring will be forwards compatible with the x1?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

humanji wrote: »
    I've learned long ago that when a company says they have a "huge" announcement, the actual announcement is disappointing and largely irrelevant to me.

This. I still remember MS's big megaton announcement a few years ago. Turned out to be Pac Man CE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Microsoft CEO: Ok, the Xbox One didn't go down to well. What do we do?

Employee: Is there anything to be said for another mass?

Microsoft CEO: Great idea. Announce something for the 360, maybe a padded controller for comfort, but make it look really big. Put it in E3 and give it fireworks and stuff. See if you can get Shatner. That'll have them eating out of our hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,115 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Leo Del Castillo said that it's about elegance, not sheer brute... So the console is under-powered then...

Unless it's Xbox+ i can't see myself having any interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

New TV features .............
    Shhhhh its a 360 TV Combi
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    This. I still remember MS's big megaton announcement a few years ago. Turned out to be Pac Man CE.

You just know some idiot at MS thought a PacMan game was like getting a Mario game in terms of history.

Seriously though a price cut please, I still have a 20GB no HDMI port one. I think I need an upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

maybe that theyre going to discontinue it.

cause why not.

screw you, customers! we're microsoft, bitches. We know what you want before you do, and after you tell us you dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

folan wrote: »
    maybe that theyre going to discontinue it.

cause why not.

screw you, customers! we're microsoft, bitches. We know what you want before you do, and after you tell us you dont.

There is a big red button, in microsoft that red-rings every 360 in the land. Then you have to buy the one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

The fact they mention minecraft, maybe they're going to push the 360 to Independent developers to self publish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

GTR63 wrote: »
    Shhhhh its a 360 TV Combi

You just know some idiot at MS thought a PacMan game was like getting a Mario game in terms of history.

Seriously though a price cut please, I still have a 20GB no HDMI port one. I think I need an upgrade.

I traded in my 250 slim few months ago. I kept my 20gb original. So when I got my Mancave sorted and tried to hook up the oldy I got a finger in to my face. Xbox died from not being used... I **** you not... E68 first, then I got a 60gb HDD ( which is 100% working ), got updates sorted from usb stick and bang e71. :mad:

So if they will release some sort of cheap xbox 360, then I would not mind grabing it to play some forza 4 etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I'm thinking sports.
    Uncharted?

Nope.avi

Completely owned by Sony, as likely to come to 360 as Zelda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

FIFA TV Series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

C14N wrote: »
    I'm thinking sports.

Nope.avi

Completely owned by Sony, as likely to come to 360 as Zelda.

Didn't know that Naughty Dog was a Sony studio. Well there you go then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Crash Bandicoot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

It's going to be a new streamlined system to accompany a new Xbox Live in line with the One's, and with some, but not all, of the media features. In short, more "entertainment centre" nonsense

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm going to call it: A 360 tablet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

There have been rumours and pictures of a smaller diskless 360 doing the rounds for months, not so sure about the no disc tray part but I imagine it will be a new 360.

Edit: The fact that the new Xbox One does not have backward compatibility and given the amount of games and content amassed by users of 8 years I'd say this will be a safe bet. it better not get anything that existing owners can't have on older 360's though or else that would be a massive screw you to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Realistically: 360 Mini

In my dreams: Shenmue 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

calex71 wrote: »
    Edit: The fact that the new Xbox One does not have backward compatibility and given the amount of games and content amassed by users of 8 years I'd say this will be a safe bet. it better not get anything that existing owners can't have on older 360's though or else that would be a massive screw you to people.
    Well, they'd want to get current 360 owners to buy it, so expect something. It would take something special to motivate me to get one what with having a 360 already. For instance, region free. I don't expect them to provide that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I think if more games could have servers it would be great. I would love minecraft servers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Sadly, you can bet it's going to be some kind of ham-fisted, down your throat, subscription based / paid app type of deal.

MS's track record on this is clear;
    Windows 8, Office 365, Xbox One......

Advertisement