Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can anyone exlplain simply why pings are so bad with new fibre? i expected them to ha

• 24-05-2013 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭

Its great that some people have had the fibre installed but what is not so great is the ping results. I expected them to halve or even better but sadly this is not the case. Is there a simply technical explanation why they are so bad and will it get better when the full roll out is complete?

Or is it just simply eircom again?

And I have to admit I was going to try xbox online gaming.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

What are you pinging?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

I am waiting for a little longer, cant be at home for a while but reading all the other posts. I ping boards ie and get 32ms at the moment, with VF. The other thread mentions interleaving and fastpath etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Fibre only helps the bit from the cabinet (or house) to the main network; the delays are usually after you leave your ISPs network due to routing so fibre would not greatly fix this in any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Few thoughts...

1) Use pingtest.net as opposed to speedtest,net for ping specific tests
    2) Find out where delay is introduced using trace route - open a command box and type tracert www.google.com and press enter
    3) Use an ethernet cable as opposed to wifi - or new standard home plugs
    4) If you have to use WiFi - make sure your PC/Console supports 802.11n , preferably with MiMo
    5) If you are running some downloads (in particualr FTP/UDP) it can impact ping times..

All of above is regardless of provider.

Generally on VDSL - if you scout around AT&T uVerse, France Telecom, Telstra, BT UK etc etc - you will find VDSL pings are in the range of 20ms to 65ms dependign on line length. Notihng new there...

Hope that helps!

but pings are increasing with fibre? eircom are doing something wrong

• Advertisement

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    but pings are increasing with fibre? eircom are doing something wrong

Not as simple as that - even with shorter loops and less copper VDSL (as a technology) has to work harder to get the higher bit rates.

Typically anywhere in the world I have seen VDSL pings for VDSL and ADSL are similar...sometimes slightly better but a max improvement would be 10ms in best case scanarios when compared like for like. There are exceptions for example somone moving from high interleaving on ADSL1 to VDSL2 will see better improvements.

If you want uber pings - you need FTTH as fibre is immune to noise, crosstalk, electrical isses etc....

Sadly - it's just physics...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

crawler wrote: »

Sadly - it's just physics...

pfft spoilsport...

bealtine wrote: »
    pfft spoilsport...

I know, I know...sorry for being all honest and practical and stuff like that :) inconvenient to say the least!

In fairness, DLM will train the line to the best performance anyway over a few days/weeks on each line and most of the NGA modems so far are good that I have seen using a good Broadcom SOC so will work well.

The benefit of VDSL is faster speeds and lower line faults - it only offer marginal improvement in latency, in some but not all, instances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I would be disappointed if my new vdsl product had worse pings than my adsl2 product. It really shouldn't. Newer equipment. Closer to the cabinet. Copper for only the last few hundred metres. The default setup could be for too high error correction. I was in Germany last week and I talked to a few people and they mostly said they had better pings after the upgrade to vdsl tech. Mad to think I had 8-15 ping times about 5 years ago on adsl1 gdmt. I would give up some bandwidth for faster response!

my thoughts as well. I was expecting better pings. there is a posting on from donegal where pings are 30ms with new fibre and 350m from cabinet. And if you read the BT fibre forums in the UK pings are a big topic as well. The new equipment may take a while to bed in but if there are errors on the line it will adjust automatically and pings suffer. I thought pings would be great!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

yeah, I was unlucky to get 8ms while in Korea...the rest of the people on the gaming server had 5ms. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Praetorian wrote: »
    I would be disappointed if my new vdsl product had worse pings than my adsl2 product. It really shouldn't. Newer equipment. Closer to the cabinet. Copper for only the last few hundred metres.

Wouldn't there be an extra "box" along the path now ? ( hence bit extra on the pings )

Something to convert the fibre to copper so it can go the last few hundred feet to your house ?

Advertisement