Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Musician VAT charges

• 24-05-2013 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi all, any help appreciated.

Is there a way to set up a band so that you don't have to charge VAT for gigs?

Say if each musician invoices the pub separately as a contractor or something?

So a four piece band would combine four individual invoices in one document.

Is this possible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Honestly man, I dont think most musicians (certainly not me anyway) would have a clue. Maybe someone in a covers/tribute band that play regularly but I'd say you would be better talking to an accountant or someone like that about something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mickery

Thanks Fandango :)

I was thinking the same thing so I reposted in the accounts section.

Here's the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84832689

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

you only need to charge VAT if you are generating over a certain income. basically your band should be a tax registered business. Some business register for VAT if they buy in a lot of material to resell, so they can claim back the VAT on the material they bought.
    the question you need to ask is do you need to charge VAT in the first place.
    What is the turnover threshold for VAT registration?

The principal thresholds applicable are as follows:

(a) €37,500 in the case of persons supplying services,
    (b) €37,500 for persons supplying goods liable at the reduced or standard rates which they have manufactured or produced from zero rated materials,
    (c) €37,500 for persons making mail-order or distance sales into the State,
    (d) €41,000 for persons making intra-Community acquisitions,
    (e) €75,000 for persons supplying goods,
    (f) €75,000 for persons supplying both goods and services where 90% or more of the turnover is derived from supplies of goods (other than of the kind referred to at (b) above) and
    (g) A non-established person supplying taxable goods or services in the State is obliged to register and account for VAT irrespective of the level of turnover.
    A taxable person established in the State is not required to register for VAT if his or her turnover does not reach the appropriate threshold above. However, they may opt to register for VAT.

Advertisement