Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too many flavours, too much Nic, that ill feeling caught me ...

Options
  • 24-05-2013 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

I've been vaping now since early January and loving it for the most part. Not had so much as a puff off a real cig! yay ...

Anyway, in that time I have tried dozens, and dozens of juices in all strengths and flavours. I really didn't know what I was after, but began to narrow it down to the ones I would vape for at least a few hours happily.

I was really loving the mint choc chip ice cream from the alchemist cupboard - such great flavour, good TH - all-round it was pleasing. I was vaping 24mg as I do like a good TH - but I used to smoke only 5mg cig's [for my last few years smoking at least] so this may have a lot to do with it ...

a few weeks back I started to feel really ill, as I was vaping the mint choc. It just sprang up on me! I had to run to the jacks because I felt I was going to throw up - I didn't, but dry wretched quite a bit ... eurgh [sorry] - I wasn't hung over or sick in any way at the time - ... I have not touched that juice since. I doubt it was off or anything, as I'd been fine with it up to that point, and my partner was having some in her Jac vapor e-cig with no ill effect.

For about 2 weeks now I have been vaping a lot less because of this, I fear another bout of ill feeling from it if I go too hard. Been trying lower strength juices, but if I dip below 12mg, they're not strong enough. Swinging between 12-18mg. And only really tobacco flavours mostly. The El Toro juices I love never give me any feeling other than satisfaction. BUT ... i want some flavours on the side. I need my dessert vapes!

Just got some strawberry lemonade highbrow from e-smoke Ireland, and so far so good. That's 18mg and I've puffed on it pretty strong last 2 days. Using my Vamo with a vivi nova, at 9w, all good. Also working great on the Vamo with a Boge LR cart. In fact, the flavour is even better with that set.

So, was it a Nico OD I suffered? I had been vaping constantly. Or can some juices give this side effect more so than others? How big is the difference really between 18 and 24mg? Should I avoid anything above 18mg? Has anyone else ever experienced this? Did you ever return to the juice that made you feel ill? I kind of miss that mint choc ... but even the smell of it now makes me gag! :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Could it have been a sickness from anything else? If it was me I'd just think I had a queasy stomach, wouldn't make a connection to a nic OD unless my throat was raw and I had sweaty palms, and I wouldn't stop vaping that juice unless I was sure from repetition that it caused the symptoms. Maybe it affects people in different ways.
    Menthol increases the uptake of nicotine so there's a chance that had an effect, maybe 24mg with menthol has the effect of 30mg without?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

It's possible I was a bit off besides - Have been having some tummy and chest troubles for a while. But it was just that one juice that made me gag, thought that was strange. Only thing I can put it down to is the strength and that I was vaping it pretty hard as I was loving the flavour. Now, I can't even smell the stuff and have about 25ml left from a 50ml bottle. Maybe I'll get back to it some day, but for now ... just can't. It's a bit like, if you ever had a foul experience with a certain drink, you just can't go back near the stuff. Happened to me years ago on whiskey, took years before I could even smell it again. Now I can have the odd one [not really a whiskey drinker, but special occasions or whatever] and it's grand. Just wont ever be getting rat-arsed on it :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Is it possible that you got some juice in your mouth and swallowed it?.

I guess too much nic can effect people differently, but I'd be the same as Grindle, I'd get the shakes, maybe a bit queasy and just general unwellness, I wouldn't feel the need to dash to the loo.

The only time I've had to do that is if I've swallowed more than a drop or two of juice, especially tobacco juices. It can be pretty easy to get a few drops in your mouth if your carto/clearo is gurgling without even noticing really.

That could well be it, as at the time I was using evods a lot, and a few of them were indeed gurgling/leaking - I just never took much notice, would just blow the excess out through the air holes and vape on. Never thought of that, cheers. I don't use them at all now, only vivi novas and boge carts. Neither of which have leaked on me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Rattleshakes

Ive gotten that before-felt weak and sickly.I would only get it from certain juices but its a horrible feeling.
    I used to think it was from nic overdose but I've taken only a few drags and gotten it.
    Have you noticed that you will only get it when using a certain clearo?Seemed to happen me a lot when I
    was using the CE4's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redkid

Did the juice taste normal at the time that it happened or could it have possibly been burning or eve. Possibly the coil? Nothing as bad as burnt juice or a coil that needs to be replaced

I was mostly using evods and MT3 clearo's at the time. I'm pretty good at cleaning wicks and coils, I don't do any rebuilding as such but do tend to keep the heads fresh, always ordering new ones. But ... now that you mention it, the juice was a little off-ish when it happened, I got a kind of ... fishy taste!? from it, it suddenly wasn't so sweet put it that way. But not burnt. I can't stand a dry or burnt hit so would notice that right away. This kind of crept in. Probably was my stomach as much as anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redkid

It's unlikely that the juice went off so quick and if it wasn't burnt I'd say it was more than likely your stomach and it's only natural that you attribute the feeling of the sickness to the flavor of the juice.

Mint choc chip that would probably make me sick too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Been trying lower strength juices, but if I dip below 12mg, they're not strong enough. Swinging between 12-18mg. And only really tobacco flavours mostly. The El Toro juices I love never give me any feeling other than satisfaction. BUT ... i want some flavours on the side. I need my dessert vapes!/

Have you thought of mixing your liquids? Get some of your tobacco flavour(mainly tobacco) and mix in a few drops of dessert - in an empty bottle and give a good shake, then refill as normal. Try maybe a lower nic content dessert than the tobacco, just to give you that hit of sweet - or maybe nic free dessert entirely?

I'm always mixing juices :) Usually a menthol with a tobacco, for a smoother more subtle minty vape - some of them can be a bit overpowering.

Might give a drop of the mint choc a try with Cigarillos or one of those, see how it tastes :D

redkid, it's actually a very nice taste in a vape. It really is like having a mint choc cornetto and a smoke at once. Being a black juice it's tougher than others to clean off wicks though.

• Advertisement

Also be careful that your juices do not get any direct sunlight.Happened with some of my juices awhile ago and they tasted fcuking awful.Downside of living in a hot climate I suppose:rolleyes:

I have a whole press dedicated pretty much to juices. What little sun we do get doesn't touch them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

I've never had the problem vaping before but it sounds to me like a heavy nicotine overdose. Normally I feel slightly lightheaded if I overdose and I give it a break but I did it deliberately a few years back on cigarettes to try turn myself off them.
    I have felt that violent sickness and have had to run myself, horrible feeling, you feel better less than an hour later though

colly10 wrote: »
    I've never had the problem vaping before but it sounds to me like a heavy nicotine overdose. Normally I feel slightly lightheaded if I overdose and I give it a break but i did it deliberately a few years back on cigarettes to try and turn myself off them.
    I have felt that violent sickness and have had to run myself, horrible feeling, you feel better less than an hour later though

Novel approach.Haven't come across that one before.

I've heard of similar, but from parents. A guy I went to school with was caught smoking, we were only about 13 at the time - His dad made him smoke a few cig's in a row to make him sick. He never smoked again ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

<TMI alert - look away if yev just eaten :D >

there was a bottle of puros in the juice sampler box i got. puros. lovely jubbly. i'd tasted eden and cigarillos naturales, let's give this a bash. mainly been on 12mg for the last 6+months though. hmm.

first inhale - getting coil warmed up. not much vapour or flavour.

second inhale - complete full thick mouthful of vapour. not much flavour yet but eh - holy crap - that's a fair whack of nic.

3rd inhale - jeebus. is the room spinning?

3rd exhale - flavour kicks in. co-incides with me running to the bathroom [thank feick we have an open plan house] and barfing like i've never barfed before. woeful feeling in the pit of my stomach that feels like i've just swallowed 5 full damp ashtrays, so lightheaded i had to kneel beside the bowl. barfed till i thought i was gonna barf up my toenails. and there i lay for over an hour until the full horror subsided. didn't vape for the rest of the day. couldn't eat for a few days. still now thinking of it makes my stomach all washing machiney. ick.

make of that what you will. :o

That's how it went for me ^^ I just omitted the more gritty details :D

It's got to be nic-connected so.

I reckon we're sucking in a lot more nicotine when vaping than you ever would with analogues. Of course, we're not getting all the other gunk, but truth is, we're not as used to strong nicotine as we imagine. I'm sticking to 18mg and below from now on, not had any experience like that one since, thankfully.

I reckon we're sucking in a lot more nicotine when vaping than you ever would with analogues. Of course, we're not getting all the other gunk, but truth is, we're not as used to strong nicotine as we imagine.

Less nicotine, but the bolded part is why it can have more of an effect. No depressants = more of a stimulant feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

definitely the nic had me lightheaded and queasy but i know myself it was also the flavour that made me hurl the way i did. just wasn't expecting it to taste *that much* like an ashtray. christ, even typing about it now is giving me flashbacks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Novel approach.Haven't come across that one before.

Doesn't work, got violently sick, probably the most sick I've felt. Less than an hour later I felt better and wanted a smoke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I don't think I've had an overdose of nicotine so far ( it might take some doing,I use to smoke about 25G a day):o but i have had a sickely feeling a few times,mostly from a getting a gob of juice. Good to hear though that the liquid can 'go off', well not good, but it explains why I've had vapes that tasted fine and then suddenly just seem to taste of tobacco, or burnt. It's usually after I've refilled my T2's about 3 or 4 times, and the liquid is brown and syurpy, it tastes better for a while and then go's. I did try a duel carto this week,the fat one with the mouthpiece,lasted nearly the whole week before turning bad today,anyone know if they can be washed like the T2's?

dubtom wrote: »
    I did try a duel carto this week,the fat one with the mouthpiece,lasted nearly the whole week before turning bad today,anyone know if they can be washed like the T2's?

Won't last as long as the first time unless you vape 100% PG w/menthol but you'll probably get 2-3days at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Brill,thanks grindle, I'll give it a lash.Seeing as you have a vapefest banner on your post don't suppose you know if there is one coming up this year?In Ireland I mean.

Not a notion. Had it to promote the last one, which I didn't go to. Naturally.

Not sure if Newmark is stepping up to the plate again or if he's too busy, or maybe some of the vendors are chummy enough to do it between themselves or something, but I wouldn't let me hold a Vapefest for fear it'd turn into a crusty-filled 36 hour rave.

"What's in that room?"

"Techno."

"And that one?"

"Minimal Techno."

"What about that closet at the back?"

"That's the Vapefest room...

..just kidding, it's the Acid Techno room."

I've been on the Boge catomizers on the side lately, and wondering the same about cleaning them out. They're so cheap that you could just buy fresh ones after a few fills I guess - I'm using coloured drip tips on them to separate the flavours. If you want to have a more subtle, lighter version of your flavours they are great. I got some wee 510 batteries to go with so I can have a cig-sized hit in my pocket when heading out. But soon as I get back home I stick the carto onto the vamo and wow! the difference! I've also learned to only use the LR ones on that, or at least an ego batt, not those weedy little auto batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 swampette

Just been doing a search on the net about feeling sick after vaping and I came across this post. I also vape mint choc chip from the alchemists cupboard and have been doing so for about 3 months then all of a sudden a couple of weeks ago I started to feel sick after vaping. I know i'm not pregnant but it felt just like morning sickness and have ran to the bathroom a couple of times for a good wrech. I haven't changed strength so maybe it was the batch that has made me feel ill, I don't know. Not pleasant at all and am gonna try a different flavour.:(

It's very coincidental that it happened you too on the exact same liquid! Now I'm thinking it was a bad batch. It was a month or 2 back when it happened me.

Maybe we should contact them about it. Unfortunately I have since thrown out the remains of the bottle, I just couldn't even stomach the smell of it any more.

Advertisement