Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on Currency exchange!

Options
  • 24-05-2013 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello, I'm an American traveling around county Galway, and I need to exchange money (dollars) into Euros, my bills are all hundreds and I recall from a few years ago that the banks don't like that. Any ideas on where to go and when?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sunflower3

Try the post office. They exchange sterling and dollars

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Try a bank again, especially a larger branch in a bigger city or town, that would get a lot of foot traffic from tourists instead of locals. I changed money at AIB bank just a few days ago, including hundreds. It's not that the banks don't "like" big bills. I think it's is some thing to do the US Federal Reserve not accepting the old $100 & $50 notes from over seas banks, after they redesigned the notes a few years ago. So the over seas banks in turn get fussy with what they will accept from people who walk in off the street to exchange money. It can all depend on the bank though. :rolleyes:

The reception desks of the larger hotels will also exchange dollars, but you may not get the bests rates. Some of the larger chains of gift shops (Avoca, Blarney Woolen Mills etc etc) will let you pay in dollars, but they'll give you your change back in euros. The post office is a very good suggestion too.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭airbus125

Nope
    The Post Office don't buy Dollars they only sell them!
    Try the ICE (international currency exchange at the airport)

Advertisement