Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gibraltar

• 24-05-2013 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

The newest member of Uefa confirmed today. They will be 54th member of Uefa.
    LONDON, May 24 (Reuters) - Gibraltar was finally accepted as a member of European soccer's governing body UEFA on Friday, allowing their national team and clubs to enter to take part in international competition.

UEFA's annual Congress voted in favour of a motion to allow the tiny British colony to become their 54th member.

Gibraltar, which was granted provisional membership last October, first applied for UEFA membership in 1999 but had faced fierce opposition from Spain. In the past, Spain have threatened to boycott any competition in which teams from Gibraltar take part.

"This is a momentous moment for us," Gareth Latin, president of the Gibraltar FA, told the UEFA Congress. "It means we can now begin the next chapter of Gibraltar football.;"

Gibraltar's case was strengthened in 2011 by a Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) ruling that UEFA have to consider its membership. Their teams will first feature in the qualifying competitions for the 2014 European under-17 and under-19 championships. Gibraltar have been drawn against England, Armenia and Ireland in the under-17 qualifiers and Croatia, Czech Republic and Cyprus in the under-19 tournaments.

Their first full international competition is likely to be the qualifiers for Euro 2016. Spain still claims sovereignty over Gibraltar after it was ceded to Britain under the 1713 Treaty of Utrecht. An edict from the Consejo

Superior de Deportes to all sports federations in Spain says they should block any membership application from organisations in Gibraltar.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

At last my dreams of being an international footballer can now be realised :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Good to see, they beat the Faroe Islands 3-0 a few years ago so they aren't complete no hopers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

They've a few players on the books at Man Utd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_United_F.C._(Gibraltar)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Nice place for an away day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Following the vote in favour, Gibraltar confirmed plans to build a new stadium at Europa Point.

As full members they will be eligible to compete in the qualifying stages for the European Championship in 2016.

Their club sides will also be allowed to compete in the UEFA Champions League and Europa League.

We could meet them as early as next year for a Euro qualifier after the World Cup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

One of their CB's is a rock in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Wonder what the Spanish make of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Oh great, another minnow.

If UEFA are going to start letting "countries" like Gibralter join, then they need to do some kind of pre-qual qualification thing with these, Faeroes, San Marino, Andorra, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein etc.

It's absolutely stupid that these teams take part, nothing games at ridiculous parts of the season opening proper players up to injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Uefa's Michel Platini confirms that Gibraltar will not be paired in Uefa qualifying groups with Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

It's absolutely stupid that these teams take part, nothing games at ridiculous parts of the season opening proper players up to injury.

Ah, but if we never let the minnows in, we wouldn't have had this epic moment
    from Davide Gualtieri ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

If UEFA are going to start letting "countries" like Gibralter join, then they need to do some kind of pre-qual qualification thing with these, Faeroes, San Marino, Andorra, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein etc.

Whilst you may have a point about prequalification , these countries have every right to be a part of qualification and your point about injuries to "proper players" is laughable.

Agreed with the part in bold anyway. Maybe a straight k/o style tournament until one winner gets into the qualifying stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

gustavo wrote: »
    Whilst you may have a point about prequalification , these countries have every right to be a part of qualification and your point about injuries to "proper players" is laughable.
    Boohoohoo

Players like van Persie, Xavi, Balotelli, shouldn't be made play in these absolutely nonsensical games - they are far too important to their club teams who play games that actually matter - with millions of pounds riding on them.

For them to get injured against teams like San Marino, and miss games in competitions like the CL, La Liga, Serie A etc is a scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

The fans from 'minnow' countries deserve their day in the sun. You'll kill football off completely in those countries if you limit teams to friendlies and 'pre-qualifiers' against countries they've barely heard of.

Football is about more than 'big' players and their sense of entitlement. If they get hurt and miss a game, I personally don't give a ****. That's sports, if you don't like it, Tesco are hiring. I love it when people feign outrage over the supposed misfortune of multi-millionaire footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Just because they're not as good at football doesn't mean they do not deserve the same chances as other UEFA members. They shouldn't have to pre-qualify. We are all equals.
    Boohoohoo

Players like van Persie, Xavi, Balotelli, shouldn't be made play in these absolutely nonsensical games - they are far too important to their club teams who play games that actually matter - with millions of pounds riding on them.

Players get injured in football, **** happens. If they don't want to get injured then don't play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Boohoohoo

For them to get injured against teams like San Marino, and miss games in competitions like the CL, La Liga, Serie A etc is a scandal.

Eh...no it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

A home game against the number 1 and 2 seeds in the group is probably what keeps the minor associations afloat financially. They die otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Well thats Pats next europa league opponents sorted.

At least its actually in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Its unfair to pick on the smaller countries and make them all pre-qualify.

How about a rule that if you finish bottom of the qualifying group then you have to prequalify for the next championships. THis would also give these teams something to aim for in the groups as realistically they are never going to qualify for the Euro's/WC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I wonder will Brian Kerr apply to be their first manager.At least he wont need a duffle coat for the gig, as was the faroes job.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

A home game against the number 1 and 2 seeds in the group is probably what keeps the minor associations afloat financially. They die otherwise.
    Have FIFA/UEFA throw them some cash then, but stop wasting time with these regular displays of pointlessness.

Qualification should be seeded in several tiers anyway, and not just 2 (minnows/otherwise).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Have FIFA/UEFA throw them some cash then, but stop wasting time with these regular displays of pointlessness.

So they currently generate their own income, both into football via the money the game directly brings, and into their wider enonomy via travelling away support that comes for the games.

Taking that self sufficiency away and replacing it with a charity fund seems warped.

The game itself is a charity.

Where are the annual CL matches between TNS and Real Madrid, Barcelona etc? They deserve their day in the sun, they rely on the cash etc.

There must be 600 teams in Europe's various top leagues, and almost all of them are small. Getting them all a game is totally impossible.

There are 54 international teams in Europe, and less than half are small. Giving them a big game each year is perfectly achievable.

You need to think about what you're saying. You are literally claiming that football should be taken away from entire countries because Ronaldo mightn't like playing somewhere small.

No I'm not.

They'll still have football. They'll have games against teams of a similar standard who'll they'll have the chance to beat, and if they beat them they'll get to play against tougher opponents still. They'll get to play matches where they'll actually have a chance and be able to do things like play in the opponent's half, and if they do well enough, they'll still get to play with the bigger sides. Only they'll have earned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Gibraltar is not a country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,499 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

No I'm not.

They'll still have football. They'll have games against teams of a similar standard who'll they'll have the chance to beat, and if they beat them they'll get to play against tougher opponents still. They'll get to play matches where they'll actually have a chance and be able to do things like play in the opponent's half, and if they do well enough, they'll still get to play with the bigger sides. Only they'll have earned it.

Why should they have to earn it though? Not that I've thought too much into it, but getting rid of seeding may be a better way to do things (not that it'll ever happen).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Strange one, as it is a British Overseas Territory.

Hopefully for the craic they try and get the Falklands/Malvinas into the South America qualifiers !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

On the other hand Montserrat have a football team so why not. Both Bristish Overseas Territories.

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    Why should they have to earn it though? Not that I've thought too much into it, but getting rid of seeding may be a better way to do things (not that it'll ever happen).
    Everyone has to earn it already, and we already have a seeding system. It's just flawed the way it is set up as we have too many games that serve no competitive purpose and are basically charity events.

Frankly, I think a bunch of the top seeded teams just should skip qualification altogether and there should be a couple of tiers of qualifying rounds, again broken down by seeding, similar to the way the CL is setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I agree there should be pre-qualifying. They have it in all the other federations (except Sth America where there's only 9 countries).

Shouldn't be based on size but results - bottom teams from each group should have to play-off against each other to get into the next qualifying competition.

look at the FA cup - the further down the league structure you are, the earlier you have to enter.
    Gibraltar is not a country.

UEFA have now changed the rules to say that you have to be recognised as a country by the UN to join, but Gibraltar had already applied before the rules changed. As things stand I think Kosovo is the only other potential new member. (maybe Greenland if they get independence but they arguably should go into the North American qualifying)

How about an Isle of Man team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I hate this kind of sentiment. They've as much right to participate as the bigger nations.

The world of football doesnt revolve around England,Spain,Germany etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,499 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Everyone has to earn it already, and we already have a seeding system. It's just flawed the way it is set up as we have too many games that serve no competitive purpose and are basically charity events.

Yeah I kinda meant get rid of seeding so as groups would be a lot more random. Might get a full group of minnows then which would be a good laugh.
    Frankly, I think a bunch of the top seeded teams just should skip qualification altogether and there should be a couple of tiers of qualifying rounds, again broken down by seeding, similar to the way the CL is setup.

I wouldn't like it for international competition. I barely like it for clubs, but sheer quantitiy alone means its one of the only logical ways to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

This should actually work out well for UEFA, as in the current World Cup qualification method there are eight groups with 6 teams and one group with 5. Means from now on they can have 6 teams in all groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Uefa's Michel Platini confirms that Gibraltar will not be paired in Uefa qualifying groups with Spain.

If this is true, then the decision to let them in has some flaws. Can't be making exceptions. They're either suitable candidates or they're not. It's all in like everyone else or it's nothing, in my opinion.

Have they been approved by FIFA for the 2018 WCQ's?

I assum ethey'll be the lowest ranking nation in FIFA ranking if thats the case.

iDave wrote: »
    How about an Isle of Man team?
    I like it.

I reckon we should start a movement have Ireland & Northern Ireland devolved into two loose unions of nation-counties. 32 chances to qualify for the Euros and World Cup!

I like it.

I reckon we should start a movement have Ireland & Northern Ireland devolved into two loose unions of nation-counties. 32 chances to qualify for the Euros and World Cup!

No county would stand a chance without the English players declaring.

/Runs

:pac:

there is an Isle of Man team :pac:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Man_national_football_team

GavRedKing wrote: »
    No county would stand a chance without the English players declaring.

/Runs

:pac:

there is an Isle of Man team :pac:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Man_national_football_team
    Yeah but think of the tourism possibilities. With 8 groups, each would have an additional 4 teams. All of which would be Irish. With everyone playing each other twice, Ronaldo would have to buy a gaff he'd be here so often.

• Advertisement

I don't care if Kerry qualify for the World Cup, as long as we beat Cork in our pre-qualifier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Is Jesper Gronkjaer the only famous\sucessfull footballer from a non FIFA country?

Graham Le Suax is from Gurnsey aswell and apparently they have a team

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sin City wrote: »
    Is Jesper Gronkjaer the only famous\sucessfull footballer from a non FIFA country?

Matt Le Tissier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Sin City wrote: »

Good few Scandi players including Pederson could have played for Sapmi.

And who's forgetting Marc Overmars.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Rekop dog wrote: »

:confused: He was born in the Netherlands according to Wikipedia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

As I recall, some Irish lads were beaten in a shoot out in Gibralter a few years back.

Maybe they have more firepower up front than we think.

Matt Le Tissier

I just thought of him after Le Seaux bit I didnt want to keep adding players

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Good few Scandi players including Pederson could have played for Sapmi.

What non FIFA country is Overmars from?

As I recall, some Irish lads were beaten in a shoot out in Gibralter a few years back.

Maybe they have more firepower up front than we think.

Get your coat

• Advertisement
Advertisement