Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gibraltar

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

GavRedKing wrote: »
    They've a few players on the books at Man Utd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_United_F.C._(Gibraltar)

Matt Busby gave them permission to use the name? Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Zaph wrote: »
    :confused: He was born in the Netherlands according to Wikipedia.

There's certain things that a simple wiki doesn't tell you eh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Rekop dog wrote: »
    There's certain things that a simple wiki doesn't tell you eh.

where is he from

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Oh great, another minnow.

If UEFA are going to start letting "countries" like Gibralter join, then they need to do some kind of pre-qual qualification thing with these, Faeroes, San Marino, Andorra, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein etc.

It's absolutely stupid that these teams take part, nothing games at ridiculous parts of the season opening proper players up to injury.

Hey... We could use the 3 points....

I hate this kind of sentiment. They've as much right to participate as the bigger nations.

The world of football doesnt revolve around England,Spain,Germany etc

in the rest of football & in other continental association you earn the right to compete with the better teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I would imagine I'm the only boardsie that actually lives and works in Gibraltar!

This is absolutely cracking news, the party started earlier and hasn't stopped. I cannot wait for the first draw to be made, the idea of having the likes of Ireland/Holland/Sweden coming to play here has me extremely excited...

There's only a couple of thousand live here but the team isn't bad, they beat Faroe Islands 3-0 and Portsmouth too. And for people that assume Gibraltarians are just 'English' - educate yourselves. Gibraltar governs itself, though Britain still manages its defence etc, and the Queen is the Head of State. The majority of the residents are many generations old, some going back over 300 years. They are as much English as most Americans or Australians.

Liklihood is they will get soundly beaten every game, but for the lads, many of whom we know, this is great news. I do think they could cause an upset against a decent team though, their U19's side (many who were 16,17) played Irelands U19's a few weks ago and lost 1-0 to a 90th minute penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Wonder what the Spanish think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I think the pre-qualifiers are a good idea as it allows similarly skilled nations actually play ball against each other in a competitive manner. A group of Malta, Luxembourg, San Marino, Liectenstein, Faroes, Andorra, Gibraltar for example playing each other for a berth in the WC qualifiers while the "big" nations are playing for Euro qualification. Top two go into the draw for the WC qualifiers while the two worst nations in the previous qualifier get "relegated".
    The "small" group then starts its qualifying for the next Euros while the others are qualifying for the WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

batistuta9 wrote: »
    in the rest of football & in other continental association you earn the right to compete with the better teams

+1. In the CL & EL you have pre-qualification. Should be the same with the EC & WC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Ireland are playing Gibraltar later this year in under age internationals.

Spain has more pressing problems to worry about as all the the Catalan clubs have signed a document supporting Catalan Sporting Independence and hence Catalan Independence indirectly.

Plus their economic problems are terrible - much worse then here.

Its no surprise they were admitted as there are a few "nations" still to be granted entry like Kosovo and the Northern Mariana Islands.

I'm planning to go to Gib in a few months time so I must check out their ground and compare it to Turners Cross which is the touchstone for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I could be totally wrong but for internationals do the teams get money from televised games. Surely someone like Gibraltor would benefit from this money to invest in their game. Nobody is going to have any interest in minnows playing each other.

The prospect of playing the top players in the world will only help minnows. They will work harder to get the chance to play them. Also the person giving out about players getting injured the bug sides could field reserves and win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I could be totally wrong but for internationals do the teams get money from televised games. Surely someone like Gibraltor would benefit from this money to invest in their game.

Yes, pre draw you can either sign up to a central UEFA TV deal which guarantees a decent sum (€1-2M) or else you can go solo and hope to bink a group with big TV payers like England, Holland or Germany in it where you can negotiate even more. (But don't go crawling back for the central TV deal if you get Greece & Montengro as your number 1&2 seeds !).

In addition you can make major money by selling pitchside advertising if you get a group against one of the 50M population 'rich' countries.

Without doubt this money is probably the difference between being able or not able to fund an entire football structure from schoolboy level upwards in some of these countries.

But fcuk em out, coz apparently they bore people with their gutsy 0-2 defeats and temerity to actually tackle ickle Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

batistuta9 wrote: »

That in itself is wrong. Why should bigger teams get preferential treatment? Especially in international football it isnt fair to say one country should have a harder path to qualify than another one simply because it is a smaller country. All nations being equal and all that.

That in itself is wrong. Why should bigger teams get preferential treatment? Especially in international football it isnt fair to say one country should have a harder path to qualify than another one simply because it is a smaller country. All nations being equal and all that.

But it's not because they are bigger, it's because they have proved they are better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,499 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

dan1895 wrote: »
    But it's not because they are bigger, it's because they have proved they are better.

I still wouldnt agree that being better should make them exempt from playing smaller nations!

• Advertisement

dan1895 wrote: »

Some of them are only better because they are bigger. Telling a country they cant pit themselves against a bigger side because they aren't good enough sort of spits in the face of the spirit of sport. The beauty of football is a small team can come up against a big team and still beat them.

Ireland isn't a big country nor are we particularly good. If we were told we weren't considered good enough to go up against the likes of Spain, Italy or Germany there'd rightly be uproar. Yet some people like yourself think it's ok to tell teams like Gibraltar that same thing just because they are a small team.

A lot of the small teams I mentioned have only being playing qualifiers for the last twenty years or so apart from maybe Malta so there relatively new to it, why not have them prove themselves first? In my opinion they may actually improve seeing as they may get a few competitive results.
    As said earlier, pre-qualifying goes on in most of the other confederations and at club level and there's no uproar.

Some of them are only better because they are bigger. Telling a country they cant pit themselves against a bigger side because they aren't good enough sort of spits in the face of the spirit of sport. The beauty of football is a small team can come up against a big team and still beat them.

Ireland isn't a big country nor are we particularly good. If we were told we weren't considered good enough to go up against the likes of Spain, Italy or Germany there'd rightly be uproar. Yet some people like yourself think it's ok to tell teams like Gibraltar that same thing just because they are a small team.

After pre qualification, whoever emerges get to play the better countries. The CL, EL, English FA Cup etc are already run like this. Whats the fuss about, just because countries are being mentioned?

After pre qualification, whoever emerges get to play the better countries. The CL, EL, English FA Cup etc are already run like this. Whats the fuss about, just because countries are being mentioned?

I dont really agree with it in those cases either. It's easy to do well in a competition where seedings mean you already have an advantage.

I dont really agree with it in those cases either. It's easy to do well in a competition where seedings mean you already have an advantage.

As was proved by Ireland in the very early 80s when we were screwed by both having a bad seeding, terrible refs and just simple cheating.

• Advertisement

Yes, but pre-qualifying does not stop a smaller club from going on a "giant killing" run in a cup competition and getting the attention they would rightly deserve.

Plus, look at what happened yesterday with UEFA announcing that the EL winners will get a place in the CL from 2015. This means that in England for example, the League Cup winners and the FA Cup winners/runners up (if FA Cup winner has already qualified for CL) have an alternative route into the CL. A "giant killer" can now potentially gain entry into the CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Speaking of Europa League and Champions League. Will Gibraltar clubs be competing in the qualifying for the 2013/14 editions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Oat23 wrote: »
    Just because they're not as good at football doesn't mean they do not deserve the same chances as other UEFA members. They shouldn't have to pre-qualify. We are all equals.

Players get injured in football, **** happens. If they don't want to get injured then don't play.

agree, and its one reasons football globally is so popular that every country has chance in so many other sports their is massive hurdles in front of you just to get a game against the best nevermind beating them.

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Speaking of Europa League and Champions League. Will Gibraltar clubs be competing in the qualifying for the 2013/14 editions?

Highly unlikely as there is just one and a half weeks to get in all the licensing requirements needed.

The reason Gibraltar were allowed in and not Kosovo was because the Rock had applied for entry to UEFA before UEFA changed their rules on UN recognition.

So Kosovo needs to get that sorted out with Serbia (for example Spain and Russia do not recognise Kosovan independence but we do and so does France and Germany who are constant **** stirrers in the region).

The rule also precludes the likes of the Isle of Man or Jersey joining.

We kind of know what level the Rock are at as they beat the Faroes recently 3-0.

Lincoln FC have won their league the last six years running.

They also have a team called Manchester Utd in the league and in the second division is a team called Hound Dogs FC and also Boca Juniors

manafana wrote: »
    agree, and its one reasons football globally is so popular that every country has chance in so many other sports their is massive hurdles in front of you just to get a game against the best nevermind beating them.

that's how sport works, you earn the right to compete with the best. It's not handed out

they don't get preferential treatment because they're bigger it's because they're better

look at Montenegro, a country with a population of around 650k, nothing big about that, ranked 17 in UEFA

the paths aren't harder because of the size of the country, they're hard because of their performances

if i go and buy a pair of spikes tomorrow, should i be allowed to compete at the 100m final in Rio in 2016?

if i'm not, because i couldn't run out of your road, does that spit in the face of sport.

nobody is saying they can't compete with the best, just that they have to earn the right to compete with them, just like in practically every other sport and the better teams have to keep earning the right to be in the top pool of seeds, etc.

if ireland were told they weren't good enough to compete, because they weren't, how could there be uproar

this year there was 6 qualifying rounds to get to the first round of the FA Cup, this isn't some sort of pick on the little countries thing - it's how sport works, just like if you're not good enough you won't get in the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Nuttzz wrote: »
    At last my dreams of being an international footballer can now be realised :)

Advertisement