Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC area and volume question help???

Options
  • 24-05-2013 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

This Q is from the project maths paper 2 sample paper E. It says "One third of the container (cylinder and hemisphere) is filled with water. Calculate the depth of water in the container". The volume of the original container is 648pi. The radius is 6cm and height of total shape is 20cm. Any ideas how to do this??? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jack_OLantern

Try using your log tables, use the volume formula for a cylinder and a hemisphere? Just guessing, but it's something like that. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

One third of the volume is 216Pi.
    If the hemisphere is on the bottom:
    Volume of hemisphere is (2/3)(Pi)R^3.
    R is 6, so volume is 144Pi.
    216Pi - 144Pi = 72Pi (the volume of water in the cylinder)
    Volume of cylinder is (Pi)(R^2)(h)
    Solving for h is 2cm
    Adding 6cm radius makes depth 8cm

If the shape is the other way around, 216Pi is the volume in the cylinder only, which gives h as 6cm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Junior Cert is approxmently 11 days away ... and you can't answer a simple area and volume question? I wouldn't blame you :p Project Maths paper two is ****ed up! *rollseyes*

Junior Cert is approxmently 11 days away ... and you can't answer a simple area and volume question? I wouldn't blame you :p Project Maths paper two is ****ed up! *rollseyes*

It's soooo bad!!! Everyone hates it. Half of it is way too easy like Stem and Leaf and probability and then the other half is practically impossible! Area and Volume isn't too bad but I can never get the last part, like when it's partly filled with water.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

It's soooo bad!!! Everyone hates it. Half of it is way too easy like Stem and Leaf and probability and then the other half is practically impossible! Area and Volume isn't too bad but I can never get the last part, like when it's partly filled with water.

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ronan74

One third of the volume is 216Pi.
    If the hemisphere is on the bottom:
    Volume of hemisphere is (2/3)(Pi)R^3.
    R is 6, so volume is 144Pi.
    216Pi - 144Pi = 72Pi (the volume of water in the cylinder)
    Volume of cylinder is (Pi)(R^2)(h)
    Solving for h is 2cm
    Adding 6cm radius makes depth 8cm

If the shape is the other way around, 216Pi is the volume in the cylinder only, which gives h as 6cm.

Thank You!!!!! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ronan74

Most of its grand....but some of it just doesn't make sense , but I got an A in the pre's so Im hoping it'll be the same for the real thing :)

ronan74 wrote: »
    Most of its grand....but some of it just doesn't make sense , but I got an A in the pre's so Im hoping it'll be the same for the real thing :)

*Might* just want to revise area & volume 1st though!

Advertisement