Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30th Night Out in Dublin

Options
  • 24-05-2013 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi all

I am having a 30th night out tomorrow night, I expect about 15-20 people.
    I had originally said I'd go to Hogans but hadn't booked an area because firstly I didn't want to make a fuss and didn't want to make it too formal and anyway I just found out they don't reserve areas.
    I am worried that the place will be totally jammed, especially with the rugby on tomorrow and how that will work with a gang that size.
    Can anyone offer me advice - will it be ok or should I try to go somewhere else that will reserve an area. Capitol will but I've never been there and don't know what it's like?
    Anyone have any other ideas?
    By the way - in terms of time a few of us are eating first so it'll be 9:30/10 when we are in pub and I want somewhere in Georges St/Grafton St area
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

miss.piggy wrote: »
    Hi all

I am having a 30th night out tomorrow night, I expect about 15-20 people.
    I had originally said I'd go to Hogans but hadn't booked an area because firstly I didn't want to make a fuss and didn't want to make it too formal and anyway I just found out they don't reserve areas.
    I am worried that the place will be totally jammed, especially with the rugby on tomorrow and how that will work with a gang that size.
    Can anyone offer me advice - will it be ok or should I try to go somewhere else that will reserve an area. Capitol will but I've never been there and don't know what it's like?
    Anyone have any other ideas?
    By the way - in terms of time a few of us are eating first so it'll be 9:30/10 when we are in pub and I want somewhere in Georges St/Grafton St area
    Thanks

Market Bar is a good place for that size crowd. Its big place and you may be able to reserve an area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭miss.piggy

Thanks - I rang Market Bar but unfortunately they can't reserve an area (they have an area but it is already booked....) :(

Should I just go with Capitol?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Should I just go with Capitol?

It's a kip, honestly. Full of hassle

Try Dakota, or 4DameLane, the Odeon is good since the revamp. Pygmalion, dandelion etc

Ok will try those...from my dealings with Capitol so far they're not the friendliest bunch alright!
    Do ye reckon I need to find somewhere that will reserve an area? For a Sat night in Dublin I am thinking I do...oh why did I not do this weeks ago!!

• Advertisement

Looks like 4DameLane MIGHT be able to help out - I have never been there - is it big? What kind of crowd goes there? What kind of music do they play on s Sat night?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

The Hairy Lemon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

I'd say you'll have difficulty finding anywhere that will keep tables till 10 o'clock on a Saturday night.

4 Dame lane is a good size alright. A lot depends whether you all want to sit down for the night or mind standing. Also, what sort of music do you want? Because it would be quite different in some of the pubs mentioned.

Am into mainstream music, nothing too out there. Is there a difference between the music upstairs and downstairs in 4 dame lane? Do they do cocktails?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

PauloConn wrote: »
    The Hairy Lemon.....

The Hairy Lemon is the worst pub in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

It's a while since I've been in, but afaik the music is similar to Hogans downstairs and a bit dancier upstairs. I think the reserved areas are normally upstairs.
    If you're looking for mainstream music and cocktails there may be better alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Am into mainstream music, nothing too out there. Is there a difference between the music upstairs and downstairs in 4 dame lane? Do they do cocktails?

Not really, the musics pretty mainstream. They should give you a table upstairs for 10 o'clock, as far as I know upstairs only opens then. They do have a good cocktail menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Ok will try those...from my dealings with Capitol so far they're not the friendliest bunch alright!
    Do ye reckon I need to find somewhere that will reserve an area? For a Sat night in Dublin I am thinking I do...oh why did I not do this weeks ago!!

if you struggle with 4 Dame Lane, a few other suggestions..

Mcgrattans in the lane: large trendy and friendly bar- mainstream music as you requested. its just off baggot street

Baggot inn: likely to reserve area and a nice big late bar

Howl at the moon: yes its a nightclub but its massive and some of it opens early.

isikaya: Japanese bar downstairs with full sake bar

ukiyo: same as above but also has private karaoke booths

café en seine: you can reserve space upstairs

samsara: reserve space upstairs also

kobra: nice bar with heated beer garden

harrys on the green: good cocktail place with table reservations

break for the border: big nightclub but opens earlier, mainstream music

fitzsimmons: you can reserve space upstairs. roof top bar is great!

morgan: same as fitzsimmons but a little more trendy.

badbods: recently reopened, huge place with 4 levels. good atmosphere with bands and djs on different floors.

mercantile: more of a pub than a bar but its nice and busy and you can reserve space

there are loads basically, but I hope you get somewhere suitable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

sorry I meant bad bobs in temple bar, not bods!

Advertisement