Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having a bit of trouble maintaining an internet connection

Options
  • 24-05-2013 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Alright, so I've been having this problem for a few months now, what happens is that every 1-3 days, my internet connection on my pc mostly stops working. What I mean by mostly, is that I can't open any new webpages on any kind of browser, I can't open any program that needs the internet to open (to check for updates). However, if something is downloading, it will continue to download, any program open that uses an internet connection stays connected, such as Skype. Now, the only solution I currently know of is to completely restart my computer. Restarting my router doesn't help, waiting for long periods of time doesn't help, nothing else fixes it. It's beginning to drive me mad. I've tried some commands in Run>Cmd, but to no avail.

I have a Samsung laptop running Windows 8 if that helps, if anyone knows what's going on I'd appreciate it, just ask if you need more info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Are you using a VPN or some other service that allows you have an anonymous ip address ?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Is your download hogging your connection? I have a 1Mb connection and i have to pause any downloads in order to browse.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,377 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What router do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭xK Marcus

Are you using a VPN or some other service that allows you have an anonymous ip address ?

No, I am not.

diarmuid05 wrote: »
    Is your download hogging your connection? I have a 1Mb connection and i have to pause any downloads in order to browse.

No, I have an 8MB connection, and don't often have downloads going.

Headshot wrote: »
    What router do you have?

I have a Netgear router.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

If some applications can still connect ok then it might be a DNS issue.
    Try this: Open cmd and enter "ipconfig /flushdns"
    If that doesn't work try set your pcs dns as 8.8.8.8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Install another browser, chrome, or firefox,
    see does it make any difference.
    TRY renew ip adress,
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~help/networking/IP_renew.html
    from command prompt.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭xK Marcus

If some applications can still connect ok then it might be a DNS issue.
    Try this: Open cmd and enter "ipconfig /flushdns"
    If that doesn't work try set your pcs dns as 8.8.8.8

Ok, I've tried a few cmd commands previously with none working, but I don't think I tried this one, so next time it happens, I'll try it.

riclad wrote: »
    Install another browser, chrome, or firefox,
    see does it make any difference.
    TRY renew ip adress,
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~help/networking/IP_renew.html
    from command prompt.

I do have multiple browsers installed, and the internet doesn't work on any of them when the problem occurs, I'll try renew my ip address next time though.

Advertisement