Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get recordings from UPC box to laptop?

Options
  • 24-05-2013 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I need to record 5 programmes tonight for my dad. I will be using my UPC box to record them. My dad obviously would like to watch these in his house, but doesn't have UPC. We do not have a dvd recorder or video recorder, so that leaves just the UPC box to record to.

Is there any way I can get the programs from the UPC onto my laptop? I could them put them onto a DVD or else a hard drive and set them up in his house to watch. They are 5 jazz programs so unlike to be able to get recordings of them online. I know I looked into this before and couldn't find a way, but was hoping things may have changed!

Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Your best bet would be to borrow a DVD recorder if possible and record them to DVD, the hard disk inside the UPC box encrypts the video files so you wouldn't be able to easily extract them

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

You would have to encode each show to something like XviD AVI or x264 MP4 similar to what cappers do on private tracker sharing sites. Time consuming I'd imagine but have no idea how you'd actually go about it.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Are the jazz programs the ones on BBC recently?
    Maybe this could help
    <snip>

I haven't tried it.
    You'll need to get the BBC server to think you are in the UK, but I think we're not allowed to discuss that here ...... it is not hard to do.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Just to point out discussing how to break the encryption used by iplayers, upc etc. could be considered dodgy so no discussions of that nature. Recording a show off the box would not be as dodgy as you would not be breaking the encryption. Also VPN/IP geo blocking bypassing should not be discussed either :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Try disconnecting the Aerial lead and see if you can still play recorded programmes when not connected. I so, take the UPC box to your dad's house. Otherwise, bring him round to yours to watch them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

As far I can see you only have a few options
    1. Get a DVD recorder and record it to a DVD, as Nick said
    2. Try to see if the recordings still work when teh box isn't connected to UPC as bonzodog said
    3. Get him to come over and watch it at your house

You might be able to extract the shows from your UPC box but that is seriously not worth the effort, might not work at all and you might get into trouble with UPC.

Advertisement