Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting Contacts Toronto

Options
  • 24-05-2013 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi Guys,

I know this is probably a long shot but I'm wondering has anyone got any contacts for accounting & finance positions in Toronto?

I'm moving over in 10 days and I have friends who have been over there 3 weeks already and they have had absolutely no leads on the work front (all big 4 trained accountants). I have 4 years experience behind me working within a large motor dealership and am recently ACCA qualified.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

3 weeks is nothing tbh, particularly in business/finance.
    It took me 6 wks/2 months to get an interview & 3 months to get a job here (I'm in IT for a financial institution).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Quinny87

Cheers, yeah fair point, all the research I've done indicates that I'll be looking at somewhere between 2 - 3 months to get work too!

I'm just literally trying anything to see if I can get some leads, make contacts and network so that I have some sort of foundation to work from when I get over.

Also, I've noticed people saying that you really have to "chase" recruiters and follow up with them in order to get them to assist, is that bull or?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Get yerself on linkedin and join TO based groups and make connections with recruiters and companies that way as well

And yes they are bad at getting back to you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

yes, get on linkedin now.

I joined int in my 2nd or 3rd week here, eventually got my job through it. The sooner you get on there and start adding recruiters, professionals, etc, the better.
    Recruiters here are the same as everywhere....they are all just looking for their cut, so if you are an exceptional candidate, they'll be all over you. Otherwise they will just bin a lot of the resumes they have.
    One thing I found about the whole process over here is to have no shame, in the Irish sense of the word. Repeatedly knocking on doors, asking for favours, requesting updates, asking people about any work is the norm. Being forward about it will only help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Yes I've been told the same about being forward with jobs. I think it will take some time to get into the swing of things. LinkedIn...I never found useful so I don't know what it could do there. I did 'make use of it' in every way recommended, but with constant updates on friend's job titles and mostly friends snooping at my profile it just felt like Facebook with a tie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement