Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballyhoura Mountain Biking

Options
  • 24-05-2013 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

Just curious if anyone has experience of this?
    Is it just a case of turning up with a bike/helmet paying a parking fee of a couple of euros and starting off of a designated track or is there any other costs involved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Couple of euro for a shower afterwards if ya like to get dirty enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Ya just arrive down, pay for parking at the entrance and off you go following which ever trail you want. Pay for shower when back and your on your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Hatcho

Bring lots of 1 euro coins for the showers and bikewash...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

wouldn't recommend the bike wash, it's a power washer job which will force water into all your bearings.

drive your car home with a dirty bike on the back as a mark of pride/badge of honour of the effort you've just put in, then wash it properly at home.

did the blue at ballyhoura last week, great day mountain biking .before i got into road biking i was in ballyhoura a lot more, it's an amazing facility to have...

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭west cork lad

€5 per car/van for parking. €2 coin for the bike wash ( and its not a power wash, it is a garden hose and you twist the yellow bit at the end to get a spray, which used with the small hand brush tied to the wash you get bike clean enough). 2 X €1 coins for hot shower after. Super tracks there. Well worth a spin which ever loop you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

This sounds like a great day's craic on the bike. Where on God's green earth is Ballyhoura? Anything like this up here in Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

Check out this video from the Gravity Enduro last weekend there. Some good shots of the trails and facilities:

http://vimeo.com/66717160

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Wow, I'm surprised you have to pay for parking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

CatFromHue wrote: »

Why would you be surprised at that ?:confused:

The trails/shower facilities/bike wash don't maintain themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

If you don't want to pay then don't drive there. It's free if you just cycle there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

Wow, is it any wonder we have so few facilities here!

€5 per car/van for parking. €2 coin for the bike wash ( and its not a power wash, it is a garden hose and you twist the yellow bit at the end to get a spray, which used with the small hand brush tied to the wash you get bike clean enough). 2 X €1 coins for hot shower after. Super tracks there. Well worth a spin which ever loop you do.

cheers for the correction, ,they've changed it in the last couple of years so, it definitely used be a high pressure job when i started going to ballyhoura about 4 years ago, and haven't used it since because of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

mossym wrote: »
    cheers for the correction, ,they've changed it in the last couple of years so, it definitely used be a high pressure job when i started going to ballyhoura about 4 years ago, and haven't used it since because of that.

It's changed about 2 years.

Great value for €5. Also option of €35 for year, which gives access to all coilte tracks.

Stopped using it myself as we've started using our own local woods. Endless amount of roads and track

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Definitely not power wash , usta be but just garden hose and a soft brush there now. Think its a two euro coin .
    If your going for food after you will get good feed in Molly's in Kilfinane - nothing fancy but good food and good portions.
    A fiver per car for parking is nothing, jeez these things take a lot to maintain especially with a very wet winter , seen couple of spots washed out during winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

€5 for parking isn't bad if it means you don't have to cycle there. As for not going anymore because the pressure washer, could have brought your own :)

I've looked at Ballyhoura a few times since I saw it's on the Bluegrass Enduro Tour in September, hopefully I'll be experienced enough on the mountain bike by the end of Summer to make the trip down, looks great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭west cork lad

Dave. It depends on how far "down" is, but you don't need massive experience to do the first too loops.
    Parking at €5 per car is great value, especially if there are 3 or 4 of ye in the car. The money raised is put back in. They have just put up new PVC panels in all the showers. Every time I go out you notice some new work after being done.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    As for not going anymore because the pressure washer, could have brought your own :)

)

i stopped using the washer there, not stopped going to Ballyhoura

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

mossym wrote: »
    wouldn't recommend the bike wash, it's a power washer job which will force water into all your bearings.

The powerwash was removed several years ago. The current one is grand for bearings.
    The current one is hose based, has adequate power and AFAIK is off a rainwater harvester.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

Agree with all the other about pricing, - its all perfectly reasonable for what you get.

The modest charges don't cover its costs so I'm more than happy to pay for parking, bike wash etc.

I've certainly been ripped off for far worse things.

I'd even pay a bit more if they extended the place with some more advanced trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Ballyhoura is a grand place...And the longer trails are quite scenic..

However if you are further up North...Dublin etc .... and are looking for something a bit more advanced then take a trip to to Rostrevor or Castlewellen...

They recently held a biking weekend with Downhill, XC and Enduro racing and are definetly the best trails you can drive to without taking the Ferry over to Wales or Scotland...

mountainbikeni.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

It's fair enough to expect to contribute something to the upkeep of the trails. However a toll barrier at the car park sets a precedent for paid parking at other Coillte sites. Furthermore, Mountain bikers aren't the only people who use that car park. Walkers are now expected to pay for parking too.

I don't mind paying in Ballyhoura because it's usually part of a day out driving down from Dublin etc. I don't know how I'd feel if I had to pay to park at Ticknock or Ballinastoe.

I'm off to Rostrevor Friday evening for the weekend. Looking forward to seeing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

studiorat wrote: »
    I don't mind paying in Ballyhoura because it's usually part of a day out driving down from Dublin etc. I don't know how I'd feel if I had to pay to park at Ticknock or Ballinastoe!

I'd be happy to pay for parking at any of the Coillte sites if I was guaranteed that security would be there! The current situation in Ballinastoe, Djouce etc where it's "hit and miss" whether your car will be broken into in your absence takes a lot of the enjoyment out of your days cycling!

C3PO wrote: »
    I'd be happy to pay for parking at any of the Coillte sites if I was guaranteed that security would be there! The current situation in Ballinastoe, Djouce etc where it's "hit and miss" whether your car will be broken into in your absence takes a lot of the enjoyment out of your days cycling!

Tis true. But paying in Ballinastoe wouldn't mean security. It would mean clampers calling by or similar. The security in Ballyhoura is due to it's remoteness and the guy working the bike hire place. I doubt they'd have a man in a security hut looking after cars if you were paying for parking in Ticknock either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

In dundalk with work at end of next month. Worth throwing bike in car for an evening spin around Rostrevor?

ford2600 wrote: »
    In dundalk with work at end of next month. Worth throwing bike in car for an evening spin around Rostrevor?

Just for the views of Carlingford Lough alone it is!

No charge for the carpark either and has a cafe and bike wash...

studiorat wrote: »
    Tis true. But paying in Ballinastoe wouldn't mean security. It would mean clampers calling by or similar. The security in Ballyhoura is due to it's remoteness and the guy working the bike hire place. I doubt they'd have a man in a security hut looking after cars if you were paying for parking in Ticknock either.

The basic truth is that facilities in the south are woefully inadequate, Ballinastoe is a joke for car parking for the amount of vistors, Djouce is a definite no-no for car parking during the week when it's quiet... As is Ticknock where the car parking spots are covered in tiny bits of broken car window glass...
    Having a watchman and a barrier at some car parks would deter the opportunist thieves, and i'd pay for that piece of mind... And this would benefit both cyclists and walkers..

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Having a watchman and a barrier at some car parks would deter the opportunist thieves, and i'd pay for that piece of mind... And this would benefit both cyclists and walkers..

Would be great. But I doubt the parking fees would cover the cost of the security.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Qumoqq

€35 for an annual pass and that's for all coilte sites. Well worth the few bob, good advise at the shop at the trailhead. Showers are great after a mucky ride aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Lads, I was thinking about heading down to Ballyhoura Sunday morning. But looking at the 5 day forecast, there will be a fair bit of rain over the next few days.
    Would that make the trails very tricky? I presume it would make the wooden parts treacherous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I was there once in the pouring rain. A couple of the lads in my group were fine on the boards. I chose to walk them. Everything else was fine.

Advertisement