Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCIENCE- NEW POST PRIMARY TEACHING OPTION

Options
  • 24-05-2013 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

My daughter is interested in UCDs new option to become a post primary teacher in maths and biology. It starts in sept 2013.

Has anyone any insight in science in UCD as the regards the time she would need to get to UCD at in the mornings and the time she would be finished at in the evenings.

It appears that 42 pupils will be accepted into the teaching stream in year 3 with 12 of the 42 being accepted into maths/biology.

Will she have the same hours as someone doing "non teaching" science options?

Does anyone know whether such a qualification is accepted in Australia, UK and the USA?

Would she have lectures/labs all day everyday. Commuting is an issue.... coming from Swords.

All general info on science in UCD is welcome. For example where on the campus will she be based?

many thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

I'd recommend not going such a stream, but rather doing a BSc then doing the HDip (or what ever it is called). This will allow your daughter greater options when it comes to a job, as she may discover she doesn't like teaching. But this is just my personal opinion. I went into science to become a teacher, but after first year I changed my mind to becoming a researcher. Take home message, keep one primary degree a bit general! Anyway, onto your questions.
    Hi Has anyone any insight in science in UCD as the regards the time she would need to get to UCD at in the mornings and the time she would be finished at in the evenings.

It can vary. Each day will have a different workload. Some days you might have four lectures and a lab, others you might have one lecture. Science has the added fun of labs, which are 2/3 hours long and start at 1000hrs or 1500hrs. Generally if she has a lab in the evening, she'll finish around five or six.

I'm not sure, but more than likely. Everyone does 12 modules (what UCD call classes) each year and they tend to require the same amount of time.
    Does anyone know whether such a qualification is accepted in Australia, UK and the USA?

UK perhaps, I'd imagine she would have to carry out something similar to the HDip in the other countries. But having said that, not 100% on this.
    Would she have lectures/labs all day everyday. Commuting is an issue.... coming from Swords.
    See above answer.
    All general info on science in UCD is welcome. For example where on the campus will she be based?

She will be based on the Belfield campus, mostly in the Science centre area near the SU.

Any other questions feel free to PM etc

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Hi. I'm just finished my 3rd year of Science in UCD so I'll answer your stuff as best as I can. A lot of these questions, and other general Science/Biology info have been addressed in the recent thread, here, so it'd be worth taking a look there also. Myself and IrishKnight posted two long enough posts with loads of info, but not all of it is applicable to people who'd be doing Science Ed.
    Has anyone any insight in science in UCD as the regards the time she would need to get to UCD at in the mornings and the time she would be finished at in the evenings.
    Science has some of the longest hours in UCD, due to all the labs we have, so in 1st year you're almost guaranteed to be starting at 9am once or twice a week, and finishing at 6pm once or twice a week, at a minimum. This can vary week to week, as some labs are only once every two weeks. You also have an entirely different timetable in Semester 1 (before Christmas) compared to Semester 2 (afterwards).
    This is fairly difficult to know, as bear in mind, the Science Education degree is only coming in next year and the general timetable for next year has not been released. However, from looking at the Biology & Mathematics course overview here, 1/4 of the lectures in 1st year are different from normal Science, 1/3 in 2nd year, 1/2 in 3rd year, and 2/3 in 4th and 5th year.
    Bear in mind that "Biology" as a topic is hugely broad in UCD. UCD awards degrees in 11 different subjects that would fall under the umbrella of "Biology", so whatever different modules your daughter picks/is eligible for will greatly effect her timetable for the later years.
    Considering it's approved by The Teaching Council, it's to to an MSc standard of degree, and it's from a well-established University, I'd be almost certain it's accepted abroad. However, I've no way of fully knowing, so your best bet is to contact UCD or The Teaching Council about this!
    Not 9am-6pm every day, but some days you might have something at 9am and then not be needed until 4pm. You're needed in til 6pm more regularly than you start at 9am, but again, it depends on what modules she's doing. 1st year Science tend to often (but not always) have labs in the evenings, finishing at 6pm.

I know people from Malahide/Swords doing Science who've commuted (not convenient), but I also know people who've actually moved out for the duration of term, as the commute to-from twice a day was too much.
    The Science building.. :pac: Without any disrespect, it's the obvious answer to an obvious question. By next year, the Science building will be finished a lot of its renovations and will be fairly state-of-the-art in terms of facilities, lecturing spaces, etc. In terms of where it is on campus, it's right beside the lake, on the opposite side to the Tierney building.
    However, for the education part of things, she may be up in the School of Education in Roebuck on campus for some things (<10 mins walk from Science building). There's no way of knowing that yet though, as I've said, it's an entirely new degree. As the Science Ed. people may have different modules to people who are currently doing the PGDE (which also includes people teaching Arts subjects), maybe all of their stuff will be down in the Science building also.

Oh yes, and as to what IrishKnight said -
    I'd recommend not going such a stream, but rather doing a BSc then doing the HDip (or what ever it is called). This will allow your daughter greater options when it comes to a job, as she may discover she doesn't like teaching. But this is just my personal opinion. I went into science to become a teacher, but after first year I changed my mind to becoming a researcher. Take home message, keep one primary degree a bit general! Anyway, onto your questions

The only disadvantage to doing a BSc (Hons) and then a PGDE (Postgraduate Diploma in Education - formerly called the HDip), is that from 2014, a PGDE is going to take 2 years. So doing that will mean 4 years BSc (Hons) and 2 years PGDE, giving 6 years, as opposed to the 5 years BSc, MSc that the Science Ed is. Plus the Science Ed. gives you a Level 9 degree (Masters), while the PGDE is Level 8 (Honours Bachelor Degree standard).
    However, on the other points, I'd have to fully agree with IrishKnight, it's difficult to know what you'll be interested when you start a degree.

Any other questions that you think I might be able to answer, feel free to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JUST ASKIN1959

Many thanks for such informative replies. They really help.

This is probably a really stupid question but here goes;

Will the maths on this course/degree be of the same standard/difficulty as the maths in a "pure maths degree" if you know what I mean. In other words, will the maths part of the degree be aimed as what is covered in the leaving cert higher course as opposed to the more difficult stuff you would do in a pure maths degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DaisyFay

While lectures are obviously on at fixed times, when it comes to registering for lab classes and tutorials for individual modules, you will notice that there are a lot of different time-slots available, so you can choose times that suit you. Also, if, for some modules, the tutorials and labs are pre-registered for, emailing the course coordinator requesting a change to a time that would better suit usually works also. So there is some flexibility for you to form your own timetable and avoid huge breaks in the middle of your day, and, if you can, ensure only one or two late finishes per week. :)

Will the maths on this course/degree be of the same standard/difficulty as the maths in a "pure maths degree" if you know what I mean. In other words, will the maths part of the degree be aimed as what is covered in the leaving cert higher course as opposed to the more difficult stuff you would do in a pure maths degree.

In the later stages of the Science Ed. degree, the Maths will be of the same standard as the Maths at the end of a normal degree in Maths. The only difference is that people doing Science Ed. will have much less of it to do, as they'll be doing loads of Education/Biology modules also. Short answer: just as hard, but less of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

If your daughter wants to be a teacher do this course. If she is unsure do the BSc. The PDE will become a two year course and cost around 10 grand to complete so I would advise this new course instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 uni_insider

Hi JUST ASKIN1959

Having helped in a small way to get this degree course up and running, and having read through some of the answers to your questions, I can say that at least some of the answers here are inaccurate.

The best way to get info about this new programme is to contact the School of Mathematical Sciences, and they will put you in touch with the course coordinator.

uni_insider, if you think there's anything incorrect with any of my posts, please let me know!
    I'm not considering myself infallible and am defending myself... I just don't want to repeat any inaccuracies to anyone else.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Re the commuting - I've just finished a 4yr degree in UCD and commuted from swords every day.

It can be a pain but it's doable, I never really minded it! The 41x goes directly from swords to Belfield and gets you in for a 9am lecture, then it leaves again at 5, 5.15 and 5.30.

Even taking two buses is all right as chances are if there's no 41x you'd be heading in at a time with less traffic.

If you've any questions let me know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Hi JUST ASKIN1959

Having helped in a small way to get this degree course up and running, and having read through some of the answers to your questions, I can say that at least some of the answers here are inaccurate.

The best way to get info about this new programme is to contact the School of Mathematical Sciences, and they will put you in touch with the course coordinator.

Please specify which ones, and how. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Can I just input something here, as with any concurrent education degree , the op's daughter will not be limited to teaching as she will have a science degree in there. For example graduates of the Religion, Music, and Education degree from Mater Dei are not limited to teaching at the end. Many graduates have gone on to persue careers in other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JUST ASKIN1959

Hi JUST ASKIN1959

I will take the matter up with the School of Mathematics and I will report back.

I would like to say thanks to everyone who were so helpful.

Advertisement