Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question on Data Protection Act

• 24-05-2013 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, hope this is the right forum. Just looking for clarification on how companies should deal with customer data under the data protection act. We've been having a lot of trouble with our internet provider lately due to a succession of errors on their part. Anyway finally got it resolved week before last.

A couple of days later we received a letter containing a new remote control and a letter saying as you requested to replace your faulty remote please find enclosed etc.....and your account will be charged the replacement cost plus postage.

We didn't request a remote so emailed them looking for an explanation. The reply we got this morning was :
    Unfortunately due to agent error a remote control case was loaded on your account when it should have been done on another's customer account.

...the agent in question loaded the case on your account instead of the next customer's account.

The only way I could see that happening is if the agent had more than one customers details loaded at the same time. I remember with another company (can't remember what company it was) being asked for my account details twice when I was on the phone to them ages ago as I'd been transferred back to them from another dept. They told me this was because they were not allowed keep customer details open if they weren't directly dealing with the customer.

Not sure if this is a company policy or required under the data protection act though?

Just think the explanation we were given doesn't cut it, almost like mixing up customers details is a common occurence and hence not a big deal. As the company in question has screwed up so many times over the last couple of months all stemming from a simple request to change debit details I'm a little worried about their casual approach to data security.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

Doesn't look like a DP issue to me. It's not as if your personal details have been released to others. It was more of a 'data entry error' when processing the order.

Reminds me of several years back, I was waiting on mortgage approval from the bank and they posted me soneone else's approval document. The document had the most private of information: salaries, medical history etc etc etc. I reckon my approval document ended up with someone else too, but the bank denied this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

deandean wrote: »
    Doesn't look like a DP issue to me. It's not as if your personal details have been released to others. It was more of a 'data entry error' when processing the order.
    We are entitled to have any information correct. So it is more of an issue than you state.

Advertisement