Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hairdresser Rant

• 24-05-2013 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi... I'm not sure if this is the right place but i'm really really upset and desperate so I need to rant.

I've had a long journey with my hair. I was born with big blonde doll-like locks, my hair was flat at the top but halfway it turned into big locks. Then when I was about 2 or 3, I had to cut it all off as I got chewing gum in my hair. From then on, my hair was pin straight. Then when I was 10 I moved to Ireland and for the first year my hair remained the same. As the years went by it started to gradually change. Then at 14 that's when it all changed. I got my hair done by my dads friend, she was not a hairdresser. She cut it and dyed it, and after a few months from then on my hair started to grow really bushy and dry and unhealthy. I absolutely hated it so I straightened it EVERY DAY for a whole year. After a year, my hair became like straw. I didnt know what to do with it, the hair that I once loved was now horrible horrible horrible!!! I became wary of hairdressers as each time they seemed to leave my hair a little more wavy. Then in August 2012, I went to Pzazz salon. I got my hair done and at first I wasnt extremely satisfied with it but I liked it. However as it grew it became so nice, exactly what I wanted. My hair had now fully transformed. Straight barely wavy at the top, slowly turning into waves and then finally small locks at the bottom. The only thing I didnt like was a small section that was much shorter than the rest of the hair in order to fram my face. It didnt work with my curly/wavy hair. I decided to get that fixed and even out both sides a little, so I had an appointment in another salon yesterday. Wary, I arrived explained my hair troubles and how I felt my hair was not understood as it was a different texture. He said he understood it fully, and then proceeded to wash my hair with extremely hot water... that was the first big no I noticed. No hairdresser had ever used VERY hot water on my hair.

Then he sat me down, and took off my glasses, I could no longer really see what was happening. He started cutting, repeating everything I had told him. I asked him to not cut much, just wanted a bit off so it was still long, my hair was halfway down my back, past my chest when I first walked in, I wanted to keep that length. Then, I told him I wanted him to even out the layers, as one side was flat (left) and the other was puffy due to that section of smaller layers that looked off. Then he asked me how I like my hair... straight, curly or what. I said NATURAL, absolutely natural. After cutting it, he started to blowdry my hair with very hot settings... I knew then that this was gonna be a nightmare. I absolutely CANNOT blowdry my hair. Not only is it unhealthy, my hair puffs up at the BOTTOM only, to like 4x it's volume, so it looks like a triangle!!

http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-new/ehow/images/a07/u8/hv/treatments-dry-frizzy-kinky-hair-800x800.jpg

Take that image, now imagine it as long hair, a bit puffier and a flat top. That's me after blowdrying my hair. He then proceeded to straighten my hair with a brush that gives volume... remember I asked for it natural? Nope. He straightened it. But my hair was still wet, therefore it was only half puffed up... needless to say the straightening was useless as it puffed up even further. He then started to curl it using the same brush and decided in the way that he would give me a middle parting. I have nothing against with middle partings, but I look horrible in one. HORRIBLE. My hair was always mid parted, it's been this way since I was at least 11. I never asked for him to change it... but he did. When I put on my glasses I got a shock. I didnt know what to say... so I said nothing. I just pretended I was happy as I was in shock. How I regret it.

Once I got home, i had already changed it to a side parting. I washed my hair vigurously, and then hoped it would be better the next morning. I looked in the mirror today, comparing the hair with the hair from a photograph I took on Tuesday and just couldnt believe. I'm so upset. The layers on the right side are even worse, and they're small so they dont fall downwards, they just wave and stay to the side, making it bushy... my hair is much shorter, barely reaches my chest now :(.

I'm so upset I dont even feel like leaving my house anymore... I know to some of you it's not a big deal but my hair is different. My hair isnt straight, nor wavy nor curly, it's a combination of all 3. The bottom layers were slightly half straight half wavy while the top ones were wavy then turning into curls. It's very hard to make hair like that look good and I did it. TO ME it looked nice, it was perfect I just needed the split ends off and it to be a bit even... now it's just... wrong.

Sorry for the rant... doubt anyone will read it. If anyone has any advice... that would be so nice. I'm so upset... I'll post an image of my hair before, if anyone is interested... maybe in pm, mayeb on the thread. Doubt i'll post an image of my current hair.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Could you be possibly exaggerating?

Did you go to a reputable hair dresser? If not, go to one. If your hair means that much to you, pay someone decent to once and for all sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Why didn't you just go back to the Pzazz place which did a half decent job on your hair before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭PurpleVintage

No, i'm not exaggerating and I don't think comments like that are gonna help. Making assumptions dont help either. If you're really not gonna help or put me down when i'm already clearly distressed then just leave my thread alone. When someone is upset you don't ask them if they're exaggerating, you try to help. When you don't want to help, well... you at least keep the unnecessary comments to yourself. Or at least I do, and everyone else that I know of.

And yes I did go to a reputable place. And no, not all of us can afford 150 euros a section, but for a place that charges 90 euros for a cut, blowdry and wash I expected more.

@ Sunny Dayz
    Because they did a "half" decent job. As far as i'm concerned, if i'm going to go to a hairdresser and pay as much as I pay for it, then I don't want a half decent job, I want a fully decent job. I wasn't overly pleased with my hair after I left the hairdresser, it gradually grew out and fixed itself - nothing to do with their work. He too, didn't understand what I asked for, and he cut my hair way shorter than this one even cut it. Yes the job was half decent, but that hardly sounds like someone I want to go back to.

If anyone else has helpful advice i'd be grateful... maybe home remedies that will help my waves have an actual shape, or something that will reduce the volume and make the layers not stick to the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Ok - I feel you pain. Im Not Sure I really have a clear picture of what it looks
    Like now, but I hear you Saying you want the bottOm half To be less Insane finger stuck in the electricity Triangle thick .

I have Mental un-cooperative
    Thick hair . For the days when i dont want to be iorning it & want to have that sleek Flat thin impossible to get look without roasting the head off with GDH'sI have this magic shampoo AND conditioner that I use. And it works.

Now I've tried all the fritz ease products, and the magic oil in cups potions, and the hocus pocus slaon stuff that never
    Works when you Get Home. I've suffered YEARS of hair trauma & I finally found this stuff - and, for once, it works.

It's not " cheep" - e6 a
    Bottle BUT most places usually have it every Few weeks on a half price deal so if you Shop around You can get it
    For e3 each for a big bottle - they usually
    Sell it in dunnes & McCabes chains of
    Chemists & Eurospar . But it makes big hair flat & smooth & silky & amazing .

Use it, ( & here's the mad bit) on ONLY the thick bit at the end -
    aND use the matching
    Conditioner And it will work for you to solve the thick bit. The rest
    You may have to wait to Grow & try again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Ok - I feel you pain. Im Not Sure I really have a clear picture of what it looks
    Like now, but I hear you Saying you want the bottOm half To be less Insane finger stuck in the electricity Triangle thick .

I have Mental un-cooperative
    Thick hair . For the days when i dont want to be iorning it & want to have that sleek Flat thin impossible to get look without roasting the head off with GDH'sI have this magic shampoo AND conditioner that I use. And it works.

Now I've tried all the fritz ease products, and the magic oil in cups potions, and the hocus pocus slaon stuff that never
    Works when you Get Home. I've suffered YEARS of hair trauma & I finally found this stuff - and, for once, it works.

It's not " cheep" - e6 a
    Bottle BUT most places usually have it every Few weeks on a half price deal so if you Shop around You can get it
    For e3 each for a big bottle - they usually
    Sell it in dunnes & McCabes chains of
    Chemists & Eurospar . But it makes big hair flat & smooth & silky & amazing .

Use it, ( & here's the mad bit) on ONLY the thick bit at the end -
    aND use the matching
    Conditioner And it will work for you to solve the thick bit. The rest
    You may have to wait to Grow & try again.

Whats it called

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot for your comment, I appreciate it. What's the brand again?
    My hair only goes crazy puffy when I blowdry it - which I dont. I havent blow dried my hair since I was 13, and he made it puffy by blow drying it. I washed it yesterday as soon as I got home but its still puffy and the layers are short (some are barely past my chin) so they have no shape, and they just wave outwards if you know what I mean... like they stick out at the side

I'll definitely give that shampoo a go, my hair is a lot flatter at the top then at the bottom. It looked fine though, I just wanted a tiny bit more volume. Now it just... *sigh* it's all wrong.
    See how hers stick out to the side? http://pad2.whstatic.com/images/thumb/e/ef/365.34---puffy-hair.jpg/550px-365.34---puffy-hair.jpg
    Mine does that, except the bottom layers are long and then theres a section at the front framing the face that does that (only on the right side). Now dont get me wrong my hair is in no way like hers, i'm just trying to show what I mean when I say "sticks outwards"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

O sorry -

It's The pink bottles
    L'oreal,Elvive,
    Nutri-gloss Light
    Shine Shampoo

& the matching pink
    L'oreal,Elvive,
    Nutri-gloss Light
    Shine Conditioner.

Don't Mind all the other bottles or descriptions of the type of hair they're for. For Thick Mad Wiry bristly hair to look fab sleek & thin the pink stuff is magic.

Best Of Luck With it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

O sorry -

It's The pink bottles
    L'oreal,Elvive,
    Nutri-gloss Light
    Shine Shampoo

& the matching pink
    L'oreal,Elvive,
    Nutri-gloss Light
    Shine Conditioner.

Don't Mind all the other bottles or descriptions of the type of hair they're for. For Thick Mad Wiry bristly hair to look fab sleek & thin the pink stuff is magic.

Best Of Luck With it!!

Used these products and didn't see much of a difference, that's my own two cents though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I found kerastase very good but its 20-30 a bottle but does last 6 months.

I have hair similar to yours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Have you tried putting the front of your hair in large rollers when it's damp to encourage root lift? I'd suggest 2 rollers for the centre front, 1 in front of the other, and maybe 1 above each ear. Comb the hair out first, preferably spritz the roots with a volumising spray, leave the rollers in til the hair is dry, should help a lot.
    Curl sprays/mousses would help a lot, especially if you decide to blow dry your hair, but salt sprays are excellent to define waves/curls and avoid frizz too, even without blow-drying.
    Remember that mousses and creams should not be used at the roots as they will flatten them further, only specific volumising products should be used at the roots and should always be 'brushed up' to encourage root lift and volume. If you use mousse or cream to define the lengths, only apply from the ears down to avoid weighing down the roots.

You mentioned that you asked the hairdresser to finish your hair 'natural'; maybe in future you could be more specific as to what you mean, for example if you really don't want your hair blow-dried, ask the hairdresser to apply volumising products at the roots, or insert rollers, and to dry the hair using a heat lamp instead of a drier. Or ask for a curly blow dry with volume at the roots, where they will finish your hair in waves or curls using a brush and drier plus appropriate products. Or bring along a picture that shows how you would like your hair to look.
    If you don't like very hot water when having the hair washed, say so: it's your right to be comfortable, and sadly hairdressers (like most of us) can't read minds, but when asked to change the temperature of the water they will of course change it.
    On the same theme, if you don't like a very hot hair drier, say so! Tell the hairdresser you feel the heat can damage your hair and would prefer if a lower setting was used.
    Take the time to talk to the stylist before they begin; if, after a consultation, you're not convinced, then leave! Try somewhere else!
    Above all, I'd suggest talking to a stylist and asking them to recommend the best cut, parting, finish and products for your particular hair. If you disagree, tell them why and see if they can offer alternatives. At the end of the day, you know your own hair, but it might help to take advice on how to manage it.
    Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

O sorry -

It's The pink bottles
    L'oreal,Elvive,
    Nutri-gloss Light
    Shine Shampoo

& the matching pink
    L'oreal,Elvive,
    Nutri-gloss Light
    Shine Conditioner.

Best Of Luck With it!!

I'm going to second Elvive, only I use the white bottle, the full restore 5 one or whatever it's called. Have used it for about 2 years now.
    My hair is naturually insanely thick, wavy and quite boofy for a lack of a better term but the elvive seems to keep it tame and also really healthy and shiny looking.

I also remember reading somewhere* that changing your shampoo often isn't good for hair. Not saying that you do, but when you do try something new maybe stick to it for a while incase it improves with use?

*I don't actually know how true this is, so take with a grain of salt :P

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭rock chic

p.w do what i do if i go to a hairdresser which isnt that often as its long i look after it myself in future always bring a pic from a magazine or a photo of yourself exactly the way you want it styled hope that helps :)

Thanks so much for the helpful replies guys, I really appreciate it.

@ rock_chic
    I'll start doing that! However I didnt feel there was a neeed to that time, as I specifically told him twice that I wanted it the same way and 100% natural.

@dee_mc
    Thank you so much, some really really great advice. I had never heard of a salt spray before, until now, did a bit of research and it seems really nice :). Now I just need a nice but affordable brand, as i'm a college student so can't afford fancy brands yet. I don't actually wear any mousse or creams on my hair, all I do to it is shampoo and conditioner. I dont blowdry, curl or straighten, I leave it 100% natural with no products. I know you're supposed to use products and I will start to, but my hair looked fine without it. I dont even brush it as it makes it frizzy and volumized (same effect I get from blow drying, but now as volumizing), other than in the shower. I usually use my fingers to get knots out while it dries too.

I'll definitely start taking control of my own appointment from now on, and speak up when I feel something is being done that shouldnt be - I always figured the professional knows better, but I guess not at times. He was rather young so perhaps he was an apprentice. No idea.
    I'm not surprised he blowdried my hair, he couldn't have known it doesnt react well, I just didnt expect him to as it's always dried with a very slow hair dryer, when I get it cut. However I did expect him not to straighten or curl it as I speficially asked him not to.

My hair is extremely dry right now, I only noticed it a few hours ago. I already washed it so I dont understand why. I hope a single time blowdrying it didnt damage it this much, and that it's only temporary. It's also got some static thing going on, there's a lot of small curls at the top and frizzy things sticking out here and there, I hadn't had those since I was 16 :\. I might grab myself some coconut oil, apparently it can cure some of my problems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

When you said dry it 'natural' he probably understood it to mean thats it falls naturally with some bounce, like Kate Middletons hair. Which is why he used the brushes. That blow dry finish is so popular at the moment, I am sure that is how he interpreted the few words you seem to have spoken to him.

You say your hair is always dried on slow low heat, if he wasnt doing this its because your head of hair didnt come with an instruction label attached to your scalp. And you kept quiet, which only led him to believe all was ok!

Dont get me wrong I know the agony of a bad hair cut, once I went in for a slightly shorter than shoulder length restyle, and came out with no hair at the back (boy short) and longer almost curtain style hair on top. My David Beckham look. It took years to grow back, and I had to try a million products to style it so it sat ok and looked half decent.

You just need to wait it out, take some skin hair nail supplements, which will encourage hair to grow, use products and in 3 weeks the style will be half out anyways. Try to stop panicking and raging everytime you look at mirror.

my mum and sisters have similar hair to you they use the Hask argan oil from Pennys (€2) and it prevents thst triangle frizz for them. Trial and error, mum uses it on wet hair then dries it with Babyliss Big Hair and hair looks great, sister #1 insists it works best on her hair dry.

Oh and if you want a free restyle try calling a hairdresser college to see if they need models.... They ask you a billion questions about your haur, its history etc. Thry might take hours but you pretty much end up with a cut you directed yourself.

The words werent few, I simply can't and didn't write a dialogue on here, as I felt what I wrote was necessary. He asked me how I style my hair and if I want anything done with it, or want him to style it. I said I don't do anything to it, and that I want it left natural, 100% natural, as that's how I like it. This was before he even started to style it. After he started to cut it, he once again asked me, and half repeated what I said and I once again said it. How he took it, I don't know. But "I don't style it, I want it 100% natural" to me sounds like don't effing straighten it and then curl it afterwards. I don't blame him for blowdrying my hair as he couldn't have possibly known - I already stated that. However I do blame him for styling it, CHANGING my parting (what was up with that?!) and cutting my hair a few inches way too short. I guess he missed the part my hair is curly/wavy so it springs up? Hard to miss when I walk in the salon with natural hair and curls everywhere.

That swounds like an awful cut, thank god my hair is not that short!
    Thanks for the tips, I'll get myself some supplements and some coconut oil next week and pray for the best. I mean I know it's gonna grow back I just DONT know if it'll grow back like it did before, that's my problem. If you read my post you know how much my hair has changed with every hair cut so that's what I'm worried about as I was finally happy with it.

Haha, I'm just avoiding the mirrors now. I look in the mirror every time I wake up (bad time to), go in desperation mode, and then don't look again.

Sometimes hairdressers have a preference for a middle or side parting. My recent cut involved her splitting it in middle for the cut but dried it with split at side. Odd but it worked.

Anyways just be calm you are taking this so seriously and only upsetting yourself. It will be fine in a few weeks. Try Dealz or Euro2 for the schwarzkopz Gliss products. Brilliant for your style hair.

I would recommend saving your money too, go to a top stylist once. Pay the price for a cut with an expert, and get your hair into a style you love and can manage. Then it will be easier to maintain with 6/8 weekly trims or as frequently as you can afford. I got rid of my Beckham haircut that way, must admit student poverty meant I never went back to thst salon, but my god to get it fixed and set to grow into a decent shape... Well worth eating pasta for weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Invest in some Argan/Moroccan oil - it is absolutely brilliant for dealing with thick, unruly hair.

To me, asking for a natural blow-dry seems a bit hard for the hairdresser to interpret. Natural would be letting it dry itself. A "natural" blow-dry (to me) would be something along the lines of the Kate Midleton style.

You need to find a hairdresser and build a relationship with them. A good stylist will get to know your hair and will not be afraid to tell you when it needs a particular style. My stylist has set me straight a few times with regard to my hair. She's always been right too. But we've "been in a relationship" for several years now and I trust her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

If he didn't blow dry it, what did you expect him to do? I really do not think it's his fault.

I've no idea what natural means. From what you have written it sounds as if you let it dry naturally, but thats not posible in a hairdressers. You need to be specific to your hairdresser.

As a pp said, build a relationship with a hairdresser but be blunt in what you want.

^ frogstar i've already answered both things in my previous posts, you just have to read them. I've covered the blow drying topic and the natural topic quite a bit, it'd be nice if people read all my posts as opposed to just my opening one and then jump to finger-pointing. I made it quite clear to him what I wanted, not just by saying natural but by explaining what I meant by it. So yes, it is entirely his fault that he styled it the way he did.
    And no it is not his fault that he used a blow drier.
    Hopefully that clears things, and it's the last time I have to explain.

Thanks dudara for the advice, I would like to build a relationship with a hairdresser but finding one that actually listens to me and does what I ask him to instead of what they want, has been challenging so i'm gonna take everyone elses advice and instead of going to hairdresser that charges me 50 or 90, save up for someone more experienced :)

Thalia, thanks for the advice too, some really good tips.
    I'm quite happy with the advice I got so thanks guys, I think that's all I need. I'll let my hair grow out and fix itself like it usually does. Hope that it grows back the same exact way. As for the dryness he's caused hopefully it's temporary and i'll get some coconut oil for it too.

Just be careful with coconut oil, its quite heavy an oil... Try argan oil it is lighter, try the one in pennys. Its only 2 euro. I just know from others that coconut can build up and then you need to use clarifying shampoos and they can be harsh on frizzy hair!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Could be worse Op
    You could be like me.............

My hairdresser who I loved, emigrated last year so I got a referal(from people who were going to this lady)to another person.

She did my hair first time at the end of oct last year and it was just ok(thought I would give another go as she didn't know me/my hair etc)

Went back to her in early Jan and it was a sorry mistake.

She destroyed my hair, it is literally in bits.

Oh that sucks :\ really hope it gets better, hair is a huge part of our appearance. And if you're anything like me and in love with your hair, it must have been really upsetting. I hope it gets fixed soon :)

I'm glad I didnt dye my hair there, if a cut went wrong I cant imagine something else. I'm not even gonna dye it now!

Advertisement