Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linespeed dropping, connection patchy

Options
  • 24-05-2013 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

The quality of my connection has deteriorated noticeably over the last 3 or so months. I am not near the local exchange, so am on 3mb plan. In the past, I used to get a relatively stable 2.5mb/s +/-. Now, however, I rarely go above 1.7mb/s. I suffered a number of short term outages where I would not sync at all recently. 

I have taken the following measures:

1. disconnected one extension permanently.
    2. ensured that there are filters everywhere.
    3. factory reset modems... I have a few 1x Eircom Zyxel, 1x Eircom Netopia, 1x Huawei 556, 1x TPLink w8900. None performs particularly well... the Huawei resyncs more than the rest, and the Zyxel drops wifi ALL the time.

I am running out of options. I know my snr is poor, but I have had a much better connection for the previous 2 years. Also, despite having a reasonably low ping (~40ms) I get very high latency upstream. Also, things like Youtube are brutal, whereas Netflix is not too bad... selective QoS perhaps?

Any suggestions, reps?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi gerryk,

I would suggest contacting out broadband technical support team on 1890 260 260 (telephone number and option 0) 8am-10pm 7 days.

They will troubleshoot with you over the phone to identify the issue.

Unfortunately there is no more I can do from here as I would have asked you to follow the steps you have already done.

Sorry I can't help you any further.

Thanks

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Hi Tracey... sorry... should have mentioned; I have been through all of that. I have had the local engineer verify the connection, and received a text message stating that it should be resolved.

However, it is demonstrably not resolved. Unfortunately there seems to be little I can do to push this further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

I notice that some people are talking about a new router being made available. Perhaps this might help resolve my problem. How do I go about getting one? Bear in mind that I'm not going to extend my contract term to get a new router, since the one initially issued is commonly held to have many faults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi gerryk,

To get a new modem sent out the technical support would issue that for you. I'm afraid there is no more I can do from my side here as I can't organise a technician out to you.

I would advise calling our technical support team and reporting the issue again, they can also issue the new modem to you.

Sorry I can't help you any further.

Thanks

Tracey

Advertisement