Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albertadromeus, new mini-ornithopod

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Love the name. the world needs more 'dromeuses... 'dromei?

It's species name is syntarsus. Not to be confused with this guy:

800px-Megapnosaurus_DB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    Love the name. the world needs more 'dromeuses... 'dromei?

It's species name is syntarsus. Not to be confused with this guy:

800px-Megapnosaurus_DB.jpg

This guy was seemingly scornfully renamed "Megapnosaurus" ("big dead lizard") by entomologists after they found the name "Syntarsus" was taken by a beetle, I think.
    It appears that they were jealous of dinosaur popularity :(

Happens a lot. Similarly Mononykus is spelt funny because Mononychus was taken by a bug.

Same with Microceratops, now Microceratus (name was occupied by a wasp) and Laelaps, now Dryptosaurus (a mite). :(

Ah Adam, if I ever start making money remind me to share royalties with you...
    http://www.krank.ie/category/sci/whats-in-a-name-bugs-versus-dinosaurs/

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Ah Adam, if I ever start making money remind me to share royalties with you...
    http://www.krank.ie/category/sci/whats-in-a-name-bugs-versus-dinosaurs/

So I shall XD Loved the article btw.

Next time you should mention those bugs which are named after dinosaurs, even if only the popular names. Like the awesome "Triceratops beetle":

Strategus%20mandibularis%20%20male%20dynastinae%20mbaracayu%201%20april%2005.jpg

Col_Dyn_Strategus%20mandibularis_m.jpg

Or the so called stegosaur bug (a.k.a wheelbug, a highly predatory and cannibalistic bug with an extremely painful bite):

tumblr_ljiwhspeWj1qcw8qwo1_500.jpg

BugWheel01.jpg

Advertisement