Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gallaghers (McCurtain St.) reopening?

Options
  • 24-05-2013 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭

I noticed the other day that Gallagher's pub in the corner of McCurtain St. and Bridge St. seems to be being renovated. I thought it could be being renovated to make it ready for rent/sale, but when I googled it, it showed up as rented on daft.ie.

Anyone know what's going in there? Bar/Cafe/Restaurant? It's just around the corner from my place, so would be great to have another local option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

who_me wrote: »
    I noticed the other day that Gallagher's pub in the corner of McCurtain St. and Bridge St. seems to be being renovated. I thought it could be being renovated to make it ready for rent/sale, but when I googled it, it showed up as rented on daft.ie.

Anyone know what's going in there? Bar/Cafe/Restaurant? It's just around the corner from my place, so would be great to have another local option.

Defo due to reopen.

Neil Prenderville mentioned it the other morning on his show. Can't remember what he said it was opening as,other than a bar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

heard it was turning into a knocking shop

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'd bet it's gonna do food as well as being a bar, but only good proper pub grub.I'd think they would aim for the June weekend to open, but with nothing advertised regarding jobs yet, I don't know....

That said, whoever owns the place (Mr Gannon of MacCurtain street fame I'm told) could have their own team pre-assembled.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Gastropub, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I see a Rory Gallagher mural painted on the outside wall(or was that always there).Are they going for a rock themed pub?

• Advertisement

I see a Rory Gallagher mural painted on the outside wall(or was that always there).Are they going for a rock themed pub?

That's been there for years. The place was never owned by someone named Gallagher, just someone who loved Rorys music. :) No idea what vibe they are going for yet, can't wait til it opens, it's a bar I've looked at for ages as one I'd love to open myself if I had the money for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Spotted it on the property price register the other day - sold for 100k a few months back :-O

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

I had been looking to open a bubble tea cafe for a while on mccurtain street, delighted now with the timing of this, will liven up the street a good bit! Two new businesses opening there within two weeks of each other!

Also I heard the same off another business owner on the street, its going to be a pub with proper nice pub food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

It's all well and good the pubs reopening/opening up again and doing "proper pub food" but it comes down to the price of the food, used to eat alot in a well established bar lunch for €9:95, then they up'd it to €11:95 .... They lost a good bit of business with me included. So it'll all come down to the price they charge!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Just went past today, and it looks almost finished inside; so it must be opening soon. Looks nice inside. Great having another pub on the street, you could do a decent pub crawl along Coburg St. / McCurtain St now. Pity La Boqueria and Bourbon St. are closed, but at least there are new options to take their place.

Now if only all the ATMs weren't disappearing from that side of the river!

p.s. "bubble tea cafe"? Wassat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

who_me wrote: »
    p.s. "bubble tea cafe"? Wassat?

I'm SOOOOOOOOO glad someone else asked that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

MrFrisp wrote: »

Interesting, thanks. Not a tea drinker, but I'm guessing those don't exactly taste like regular tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Passed it around 12 and the lads were putting the finishing touches on it, passed again and it is open and serving. Great effort by the builders in fairness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Was in there for a few last night. Very nice spot indeed. Didn't look at the menu so cannot comment on that. Good selection of beers as well. They have Franciscan well stuff on top.

Would defo return.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I think McCurtain St/Coburg St. is quickly becoming one of the top boozing avenues in Cork. The Abbots is great for beer, the Sin E is great for atmosphere and some live music, the Corner House is great for a quiet pint, Gallaghers could end up good for food, Dan Lowreys is great for quiet pint with no messers, Bru at the other end can get nice a lively with an international mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i notice that abbot's has become a bit of a haven for hipster/trendy types

indough wrote: »
    i notice that abbot's has become a bit of a haven for hipster/trendy types

It's a craft beer bar.... it was always gonna be that. But they're not the only ones there.

Advertisement