Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone package

• 24-05-2013 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Got a call from a bloke from Eircom offering me a package, as long as I stay with Eircom for another 12 months.

What he is offering is actually not bad, BUT ( and this is bothering me) why is he desperate to get me to commit myself for another 12 months? Is there some other package down the line from some other phone provider?

Also, I am in Newbridge, and according to Eircom's efibre map, I should get this new 50/70mgs BB speed sometime between July and December this year - how much accuracy should I place on their map?

Any help gladly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Got a call from a bloke from Eircom offering me a package, as long as I stay with Eircom for another 12 months.

What he is offering is actually not bad, BUT ( and this is bothering me) why is he desperate to get me to commit myself for another 12 months? Is there some other package down the line from some other phone provider?

Also, I am in Newbridge, and according to Eircom's efibre map, I should get this new 50/70mgs BB speed sometime between July and December this year - how much accuracy should I place on their map?

Any help gladly appreciated.
    If you are already with Eircom you will be upgraded to the fibre when it becomes available. It will be the same with most other operators. Eircom are trying to get customers back with the promise of a free upgrade which they will be getting anyway.

Whatever you are offered make sure you get it in Writing or in an email or a printed copy of the contract as eircom have just shafted me by offering a deal matching SKY but with no contract which I accepted but now they say it was never offered to me and they don't seem capable or willing to listen to the recording of the call to prove me right as they would then have to stand over the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If you are already with Eircom you will be upgraded to the fibre when it becomes available. It will be the same with most other operators. Eircom are trying to get customers back with the promise of a free upgrade which they will be getting anyway.

Whatever you are offered make sure you get it in Writing or in an email or a printed copy of the contract as eircom have just shafted me by offering a deal matching SKY but with no contract which I accepted but now they say it was never offered to me and they don't seem capable or willing to listen to the recording of the call to prove me right as they would then have to stand over the deal.

Apologies Mods. I just realised this is in the RO section, and perhaps it should rather be in consumer affairs - feel free to move as deemed fit.

Foggy Lad, many thanks for the response. I am particularly glad you mentioned the recorded phone call, as I already asked the geezer about whatever I get I wanted in writing, and his retort was to say ' Sure the phone call is recorded'.

Think I'll be telling Him to take a hike on Monday when He phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

foggy_lad wrote: »

Get on to Comreg, maybe they will listen to the recording when they get a phonecall from them.

The bloke rang me this evening asking for information to establish it was me he was speaking to...from a 'withheld' number. I refused point blank to divulge my personal information...besides it was Him who was phoning me. Needless to say we had no further conversation, as I wasn't prepared to give my info, and he couldn't continue as it was company's policy to establish the caller was speaking to the account holder.

Is it any wonder Eircom are in the mess they are in? Trying to get business and not going about it the right way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

That's a freedom of information type deal, nothing to do with eircom as all companies have to abide with such rules.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

The bloke rang me this evening asking for information to establish it was me he was speaking to...from a 'withheld' number. I refused point blank to divulge my personal information...besides it was Him who was phoning me. Needless to say we had no further conversation, as I wasn't prepared to give my info, and he couldn't continue as it was company's policy to establish the caller was speaking to the account holder.

Is it any wonder Eircom are in the mess they are in? Trying to get business and not going about it the right way.

what world have you been living in? every company ESB, Vodafone etc all ask that. How are they meant to know its the account holder? They could be talking to anyone

lala88 wrote: »
    what world have you been living in? every company ESB, Vodafone etc all ask that. How are they meant to know its the account holder? They could be talking to anyone

OMG You take 17 days to come up with a response like this?

FYI, What world do You live in? Who is to know just who is making the call? How do You know who is and isn't working for Vodafone, Eircom, etc? If You are so liberal with dishing your personal information out, Your choice, all I know is I won't. Never have nor never will.......NOT to a witheld number!

OMG You take 17 days to come up with a response like this?

FYI, What world do You live in? Who is to know just who is making the call? How do You know who is and isn't working for Vodafone, Eircom, etc? If You are so liberal with dishing your personal information out, Your choice, all I know is I won't. Never have nor never will.......NOT to a witheld number!

They all ring off withheld numbers! Notice you didnt answer the question what a surprise... Yes because telling someone your name and address is the end of the world isnt it :rolleyes:

They all ring off withheld numbers! Notice you didnt answer the question what a surprise... Yes because telling someone your name and address is the end of the world isnt it :rolleyes:

What question???

What question???

How are they meant to know its the account holder? They could be talking to anyone,

Normally when there is a question mark at the end its a question...

• Advertisement

How are they meant to know its the account holder? They could be talking to anyone,

Normally when there is a question mark at the end its a question...[/QUOTE]

Why would anyone want to phone You? I don't know the last time the ESB phoned me, and if I phone them, then of course I have to identify myself. Vodafone? I am on pay-as-you-go, and again no need to phone me. Next?

OMG, but you are sarcastic tonight!!!

Normally when there is a question mark at the end its a question...[/QUOTE]

Why would anyone want to phone You? I don't know the last time the ESB phoned me, and if I phone them, then of course I have to identify myself. Vodafone? I am on pay-as-you-go, and again no need to phone me. Next?

OMG, but you are sarcastic tonight!!!

Companies ring costumers all the time. It might come as a huge shock to you but there are some companies out there who want to get new costumers or want to tell the ones they already have about new offers they might have and by and large people are too lazy to go do it themselves.

Companies ring costumers all the time. It might come as a huge shock to you but there are some companies out there who want to get new costumers or want to tell the ones they already have about new offers they might have and by and large people are too lazy to go do it themselves.

Like I already said, I haven't got a clue when the ESB last phoned me ( if ever) - same for vodafone. So, the companies I deal with I really have no phone contact with them. As I say, if I phone them, then that's a different matter altogether. But I will NOT reveal my personal information to anyone who phones my on a witheld phone number. Period!

Like I already said, I haven't got a clue when the ESB last phoned me ( if ever) - same for vodafone. So, the companies I deal with I really have no phone contact with them. As I say, if I phone them, then that's a different matter altogether. But I will NOT reveal my personal information to anyone who phones my on a witheld phone number. Period!

So no your not going to answer the question then? I suppose if you did it wouldnt fit into your logic so thats no surprise....

So no your not going to answer the question then? I suppose if you did it wouldnt fit into your logic so thats no surprise....

Read my lips...I CAN'T answer the damn question as I have no reason for them to phone me. I also said when I phone them, then I have no problem giving personal information.

Okay, am off to bed before I say something I might regret.

Read my lips...I CAN'T answer the damn question as I have no reason for them to phone me. I also said when I phone them, then I have no problem giving personal information.

Okay, am off to bed before I say something I might regret.

I asked nothing about them having a reason for them to ring you, your just making things up now to suit yourself.

I asked nothing about them having a reason for them to ring you, your just making things up now to suit yourself.

You asked: How are they meant to know its the account holder?

As I said, I cannot recall the last time they had reason to phone me, so I canNOT answer your damn question.

And no, I may be a lot of things, but I am not making this up. Now, YOU are guessing!"

Slán

You asked: How are they meant to know its the account holder?

As I said, I cannot recall the last time they had reason to phone me, so I canNOT answer your damn question.

And no, I may be a lot of things, but I am not making this up. Now, YOU are guessing!"

Slán

Ah yes you are making things up as i didnt ask anything about them ringing you.

Its quite a simple question really maybe if i put it in caps you might see it better. HOW ARE A COMPANY MEANT TO KNOW THE PERSON THERE TALKING TO IS THE ACCOUNT HOLDER WITHOUT ASKING FOR THERE DETAILS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can we have your phone number, please? Could be handy to do some identity theft, seeing as you don't appear to think its a risk.

MYOB wrote: »
    Can we have your phone number, please? Could be handy to do some identity theft, seeing as you don't appear to think its a risk.

oh yes because everyone who give out there phone number will have there identity stolen wont they? :rolleyes: Im sure every sales rep and business owner in the country have had it happen from giving out there number to people :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Seems legit!

oh yes because everyone who give out there phone number will have there identity stolen wont they? :rolleyes: Im sure every sales rep and business owner in the country have had it happen from giving out there number to people :rolleyes:

Every sales rep and business owner seems to realise that its not good practice to give your details to someone who randomly calls up and asks you for them. You, however, don't.

Every sales rep and business owner seems to realise that its not good practice to give your details to someone who randomly calls up and asks you for them. You, however, don't.

So its not good practice to give your number to someone whos looking for you? I know plenty of sales reps and business owners who are only too happy to give people there numbers. It might shock you like the other poster but thats actually how people do business. If they dont have the person they need to speak withs contact details how will they contact them?

So its not good practice to give your number to someone whos looking for you? I know plenty of sales reps and business owners who are only too happy to give people there numbers. It might shock you like the other poster but thats actually how people do business. If they dont have the person they need to speak withs contact details how will they contact them?

You didn't even read what I wrote there clearly.

From all that you've said, if a random person phoned you up and said they were from your bank, you'd tell them everything they asked, and quite willingly too.

You didn't even read what I wrote there clearly.

From all that you've said, if a random person phoned you up and said they were from your bank, you'd tell them everything they asked, and quite willingly too.

ah yes i did. like i said explain how if someone wanted to do business with you and they rang looking for your details would you turn down the business?

ah yes the classic giving out bank details.again what will they do with them out money into your account? Because thats all they can do. Its funny i bet your one of them people who say i dont give my bank detailsto anyone but pays for things with cheques

ah yes i did. like i said explain how if someone wanted to do business with you and they rang looking for your details would you turn down the business?

ah yes the classic giving out bank details.again what will they do with them out money into your account? Because thats all they can do. Its funny i bet your one of them people who say i dont give my bank detailsto anyone but pays for things with cheques

You really don't understand identity theft at all, do you? Good luck with that.

You really don't understand identity theft at all, do you? Good luck with that.

Yes i do. But nothing you have said would led to that. Iv show you plenty of examples to show this is the case but you just keep changing your story to try and back it up. Then again id expect nothing less on here...

Yes i do. But nothing you have said would led to that. Iv show you plenty of examples to show this is the case but you just keep changing your story to try and back it up. Then again id expect nothing less on here...[/QUOTE]

Seems YOU just cannot accept ANY answer from anyone who is not thinking along your wavelength.

You then wrote 'Then again id expect nothing less on here' I wonder why the hell you are on here if that's the case. You won't be getting any more post from me on this thread as I have answered You numerous times.

OK, AM OFF TO SLANE!!!^___^

Yes i do. But nothing you have said would led to that. Iv show you plenty of examples to show this is the case but you just keep changing your story to try and back it up. Then again id expect nothing less on here...[/QUOTE]

Seems YOU just cannot accept ANY answer from anyone who is not thinking along your wavelength.

You then wrote 'Then again id expect nothing less on here' I wonder why the hell you are on here if that's the case. You won't be getting any more post from me on this thread as I have answered You numerous times.

OK, AM OFF TO SLANE!!!^___^

I have answered the questions. Its you and your friend here who wont answer them and are changing your stories to suit you points.

oh no how will i cope....

you better be careful someone might try to steel your identity wile your there...

• Advertisement

Yes i do. But nothing you have said would led to that. Iv show you plenty of examples to show this is the case but you just keep changing your story to try and back it up. Then again id expect nothing less on here...

You have criticised people who are unwilling to have their identities stolen, getting ever more hysterical in the process. You have shown that you have no regard to actually ensuring that *you* know who you're talking to before giving them your private information. Ergo you have no concern or knowledge of how identify theft happens.

As goes "changing your story" - sorry, what? Where did you pull that randomness from? Are you reading the same thread or what?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement