Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

volt drop

Options
  • 24-05-2013 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I have a quick volt drop question. I have 6 outside lights which are 5 meters apart with 100 watt Edison screw bulbs, the problem is the supply from the switch to the first light is 100 meters. I used a swa for the cable. I think 2.5 square is ok but just need a second opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

600w will take 2.6 amp
    mV/A/m value for 2.5mm is 18
    You could get up to 190 meters before the voltdrop gets near 9 volts.
    You must remember that you need to calculate from the DB and take the size of the cable feeding the switch into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

Cheers frankmul. It's actually 93 meters from the switch to the light and roughly a 7 meter run from the board to the switch, just thought it would be easier to explain it by saying a 100 meter run.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

2.5 sq mm Cu is more than sufficient. 1.5 sq mm would be ok unless in a rural location with a weak electrical utility infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

adrian92 wrote: »
    2.5 sq mm Cu is more than sufficient. 1.5 sq mm would be ok unless in a rural location with a weak electrical utility infrastructure.

DSO(network) VD can be a factor but it's not part of the calculation

Advertisement