Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Counts (In Large Amounts)

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Unlucky, best to listen to the Physio though

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

Weekly Total - Not a sausage

I haven't even gone for a cycle in 10 days. The physio said last week that cycling would be okay but I decided it'd be no harm to knock it on the head for the week just in case. Even apart from that, it's hard to find the time in the evenings when I've all my stretching to do. I've been very diligent and have done my prescribed stretches every day and have also kept doing my core exercises three times per week as well, but no cardio.

Back to the physio yesterday and he gave me the first of my strengthening exercises so now I've about 45 minutes worth of exercises to do every day, with core exercises on top of that every couple of days. It's time consuming, but at least if I can't run it's good to be doing something which will help with the running when I'm back.

From talking to the physio and googling etc. it seems 2-3 months is the best case scenario for this type of injury, and at this point I'm at 5 weeks, so hopefully at least half way there. And today was the second day in a row when there was absolutely no pain in the heel when I got out of bed, so that's a good sign! I'd love to be back in time for the Stook 10 mile race in mid-November, as it's close to where I grew up, so that'll be my motivation over the next while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Sorry for the woes Clint. Glad to see you are being positive about it and working on other aspects so you speed up the comeback.

Hope its sorts itself out ASAP.

We'd love to see ya in November at stook!

Fortnightly Total - Zero

Right, this is getting serious. Over three weeks since I did any cycling so my cardio fitness must be going through the floor. I'll have to start finding time to get back on the bike.

On the other side of it though, I continue to be super-diligent about doing the stretching and strengthening exercises prescribed by the physio. My streak lasted until last Friday - when I arrived home from a 17-hour trip to Brussels and back I was just too tired to face doing them. Still, pretty pleased with my consistency, and I can feel them getting easier as time goes on, even as the physio ups the ante.

The heel's still sore to touch, but I can't really feel it when walking or anything. I certainly haven't gone backwards, but it's a slow process. 6 and a half weeks without a run now, hopefully it won't be too long more......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Hows things now Clint?

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    Hows things now Clint?

Slow, slow progress thanks, I hope it's improving but it's hard to say. The weekend before last I seemed to go backwards, I could feel it while I was walking, so that was a bit demoralising, but then I couldn't feel it all for the rest of last week. So "swings and roundabouts"! It's still sore to touch (well, not so much touch, but if you press it it's sore) and I won't be doing any running until at least a couple of weeks after that dies down.

But I'm still working away at the stretching and strengthening exercises and I can really feel my strength building up. Out of 35 days I've only missed 2 now so I'm pleased with that, hopefully I can keep that up, even though it's starting to get pretty boring. If the exercises were actually contributing to my recovery that would make it easier, but they're really designed to prevent a recurrence in future.

From what I've read there's not much you can do to speed things up with this injury, but my mother's neighbour is a physio and she told her that she'd have it sorted "in three sessions" - seemingly she's got some snazzy machine that "pulses" the area (this is all second-hand from my mother so I'm not sure of the details) and she's had success with it. It all sounds a bit too good to be true to me, I'm suspicious of any sort of miracle cure claims, and I'd be reluctant to burn my bridges with the physio I'm going to at the moment, but I might give her a shout and do some research on it.

I also set up an exercise bike in the garage last night, so I've no excuse now when it comes to maintaining some cardio fitness. Very convenient to have it just there and much safer than going out in the dark. And I can watch some good telly on the laptop while I'm at it!

I CANNOT WAIT TO GET BACK RUNNING! It's starting to drive me mad.

Fortnightly Total - 4 cycles

So in the past two weeks I got out for 2 real world cycles, had 1 go on an exercise bike while travelling with work, and had a short 15-minute cycle last night to test out the new exercise bike at home. I had my HRM on while using the exercise bike in Brussels and my HR was very high throughout, albeit I was pushing it. It recorded my highest ever recorded HR at 183, the highest I've ever got it while running is 180/181. So I was either working much harder, or my fitness has gone through the floor.

Anyway, no excuses now, at least 4 cycles per week are the minimum required.

3-Weekly Total - 14 Cycles on the Exercise Bike

Time for another update. The exercise bike's being going pretty well, I've spent just over 8 hours on it over the last 3 weeks, at an average HR of 141, trying to mix it up between longer, steadier and interval-type sessions. I've been keeping note of the "distance" (just over 300kms) but I've realised the distance just depends on the cadence rather than the resistance, so that doesn't seem very reliable. It's got a power-meter as well, so I aim for 350W for steady sessions and 450W for harder intervals (with HR going to 160-170).

Enjoyment-wise it's not a patch on running, but I've been watching films to pass the time which helps. I'm working my way through the Marvel films because I haven't seen Avengers Assemble yet, so far I've watched Incredible Hulk (5/10), Captain America (6/10), Thor (7/10) and I'm nearly finished Iron Man 2. Perfect chewing gum for the eyes.

Been keeping up the leg strengthening exercises as well, invested in some weights a couple of weeks ago and the intensity is increasing steadily. I gave myself Friday off, but that was the first day I'd missed in 4 weeks so I'm happy with the consistency and can really feel the improvement over time.

As for the injury, the physio recommended I go to the GP to get a stronger anti-inflammatory so I'm on them at the moment. Hopefully a two-week course will help, I can't feel anything in the heel as I'm walking and just a little if I press it, so fingers-crossed that'll be the case when I'm off them again. The doctor also recommended I go get an X-ray and scan, so I'll arrange that over the next week or so. He said Santry would be best and, even though the VHI doesn't cover it, I think I'll head there to get an expert view.

Anyway, it'll be 12 weeks off on Thursday. No way did I think it would be that long when it happened, and who knows how long it'll be yet? I headed down to watch the Marathon today, smashing day for it in the end, and having virtually lived in the Park for a good stretch of the year I realised it was the first time I'd been in there on foot in three months. Can't wait to get back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tabehodai

Was looking out for you (and Mr L) at the marathon today - thought you might be out. Hopefully the experts will be able to sort you out, otherwise you'll just have to HTFU and get back at it! Mark the diary: 27 October, 2014!

We were sitting on the Phoenix monument, which was grand apart from having the sun in our eyes! We did see B, or he saw us actually and climbed up to give L a high five.

Well done though, you came out with the honours from the three of you! I was looking at the tracker and saw you slowed down a fair bit towards the end, found it tough enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tabehodai

Yeah, was grand up until mile 19, though in retrospect, I was probably going too fast and would have benefited from a more conservative approach. I went out with the 3.40 pacers, and would probably have been better going out at 3.50 and seeing where I stood.

Just before mile 20 I pretty much blew up. Felt nauseous (drank too much water and sports drink) and I kept having to stop and walk. The legs were aching and I really didn't think I was going to be able to finish (even in the last mile I thought I might have to walk the rest of the way). All very instructive: we've always heard that the marathon is two races: 20 miles and 6.2 miles, but I really lived it today.

All told, a number of rookie mistakes and some flawed training. However, despite my thoughts immediately afterwards, I'll probably try again next year - hopefully you'll be there too. The support was absolutely amazing, and it's a great feeling having done one: but I'll definitely be more respectful of the distance next time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement