Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honeymoon in New Zealand, advice needed

• 24-05-2013 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭

Thanks in advance, we will be in NZ for 18 nights in July, flying in and out of Queenstown. We are planning on maybe a week of skiing and then travelling around for 11 nights. We obviously won't get much in in that time. Thinking of hiring a car, any recommendations and also do you think we'd be best advised to hire a 4x4 with snow chains? Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm not sure about on the peaks you'll be going to but the ones I went to (Mt. Hutt near ChCh and Lake Ohau which was in the middle of nowhere!) we'd to put on snow chains at the bottom of the road up to the ski field. We'd also a 4 wheel drive car too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭random10

I hope this isn't a stupid question but are snow chains difficult to put on? the rental companies charge a fee per day for them so don't want to get them unless needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Re the snow chains, would you not be better off buy a set here, and ship them over and collect them over there? Ship them back when done. Mightnt be much in the difference cost wise and you'd have your own set of snow chains which would last you a lifetime if you look after them.

There a great crowd doing parachute jumps outside queenstown. they have an office on the main street.
    Also do a bus trip out to milford sound. Takes all day but worth it. Bus stops at mirror lakes on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

RE: The Mountain.
    If you are basing yourself in Queenstown for boarding/skiing you can easily take the bus up. It goes to both Remarks or Coronet, leaves every 15 minutes or when full! Do a few runs, have a beer and pie and not worry about the drive!! Wonderful views, just sit back and relax!!

Cardrona is a bit further away but i think they do buses aswell!

Not sure about the other mountains. Snowchains are fairly handy to put on and thy show you how when you rent the car.
    Make sure to book the car in advance as you are going at peak season.

You can get a lot in, in the remaining 11 days. Just dont get pissed all the time and make good use the mornings to get going!!
    Milford Sound is a must in my opinion, Glaciers aswell. The Transcenic is great and gets you from one side of the country to the other through some amazing scenery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

You have to go to Kinloch Lodge, south of Glenorchy. It has luxury and backpacker accommodation, amazing scenery and a great restaurant. That whole area is beautiful.

http://www.kinlochlodge.co.nz/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

We flew into queenstown and hired a car from Avis in town, rented snow chains but didnt need them at all. Did a day trip to doubtful sound by bus, then drove to Franz josef, Mount Cook, Dunedin and back to Queenstown. Christchurch was recovering from the earthquake which is why we didnt go there. Beautiful country. enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I used Acer Rentals last week in Queenstown, cheaper than all the other guys.

Advertisement