Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice Estates in Dooradoyle

• 24-05-2013 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi everyone,

We are moving house and looking at houses/large apartments in the Dooradoyle area. We have looked at Glencairn, Huntsfield, Inis Mhor, Oakfield and Oakleigh Wood. Any opinions on these places? Anywhere that should be avoided?

Comments

chloe1984 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

We are moving house and looking at houses/large apartments in the Dooradoyle area. We have looked at Glencairn, Huntsfield, Inis Mhor, Oakfield and Oakleigh Wood. Any opinions on these places? Anywhere that should be avoided?

My sister lived in Glencairn when it was relatively new. Nice place but a bit far from everything. Although the have a bus service there now. Don't know if it has changed much in 10 years. Oakleigh wood is down the road from Glencairn. A bit closer to everything like shops, schools, shopping centre, pubs, sports clubs etc. Don't actually know anyone living there but it seems nice. Not sure about the rest. I'm sure someone on here will be more helpful than me

• Registered Users Posts: 17 chloe1984

shaaane wrote: »
    My sister lived in Glencairn when it was relatively new. Nice place but a bit far from everything. Although the have a bus service there now. Don't know if it has changed much in 10 years. Oakleigh wood is down the road from Glencairn. A bit closer to everything like shops, schools, shopping centre, pubs, sports clubs etc. Don't actually know anyone living there but it seems nice. Not sure about the rest. I'm sure someone on here will be more helpful than me

Thank shaaane. We are seriously considering a place in Oakleigh Wood but are a little scared by how many apartments are there!

Thank shaaane. We are seriously considering a place in Oakleigh Wood but are a little scared by how many apartments are there!

That side of Dooradoyle went a bit crazy during the boom. Houses and apartments were popping up weekly. Have you considered Lissanálta? Its a nice place. Its next to Oakleigh Wood. You'd have a shop, chemist, pub, take away and creche on your door step.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 chloe1984

shaaane wrote: »
    That side of Dooradoyle went a bit crazy during the boom. Houses and apartments were popping up weekly. Have you considered Lissanálta? Its a nice place. Its next to Oakleigh Wood. You'd have a shop, chemist, pub, take away and creche on your door step.

Thanks for the info. We have vieweda few places and we are just trying to decide between them now. I dont think we have the patience to keep searching! Just want to make sure there are no obvious issues with any of the estates we have looked at to date!

Thanks for the info. We have vieweda few places and we are just trying to decide between them now. I dont think we have the patience to keep searching! Just want to make sure there are no obvious issues with any of the estates we have looked at to date!

You will always have some sort of undesirables no matter where you go. Its inevitable in this country. I wouldn't let that put you off. Out of all the places you listed, none of them stick out as having any major issues. The Dooradoyle area is generally a nice place to live. Best of luck with the house hunt anyway. You have a huge selection in those areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 MrsLimerick

I live in Cragaun on Fr Russell Road its lovely and quiet and close to everything

• Registered Users Posts: 49 DarraghCorrigan

I would strongly warn you off Oakleigh Wood, I lived there last year and couldn't wait to get out. There are a certain small number of people who have a little business breaking into their neighbours cars and stealing parts from them. My flat mate had parts stolen from his Golf and my girlfriend's car was broken into. Also saw a number of cars abandoned and slowly dismantled in the visitor car park, and at least two with windows smashed in.
    You would often see the person in question (everyone knew who it was, even the Guards
    who told us they knew him, who we called several times) walking around the estate with his friend talking openly about what cars they were watching.

Apart from that the over-zealous clampers, one dedicated space per apartment, and minimal extra parking means that if you arrive back home after around nine thirty on any night you will most likely end up having to leave your car in Collins bar.

Also depending on where your apartment is in the estate, you can expect rubbish thrown over your walls by people walking back from the chipper at night.
    I also went away for a weekend and came back to find the patio furniture smashed, meaning someone had hopped the wall into the garden, possibly even trying to get into the house.

Long story short, avoid Oakleigh Wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 DarraghCorrigan

Forgot to mention - I would recommend Fr. Russel Road, living there now and much more pleasant place to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭McSween

The Grange up near Centra and the South Court. House or two for sale around from me. Nice area

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Dooradoyle id go for the older estates,houses may not be as modern but better chance of settled neighbours

Google Kilteragh for example and you will see many scumbags names pop up my brother lives there and for a new estate a lot of stuff has happened there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Church Hill Meadows is a lovely spot too. On a bus route. Lovely settled families. Houses built since 96, so a lot of original owners still here, myself included. Houses for sale are rare here. There is one tho that is being rented, however the owner has it for sale and everytime the For Sale sign goes up, she (renter) pulls it down again. She must love it here :D It's gas to watch the carryon.

There's a house beside me for rent, if you want to try before ya buy! All mod cons and fully furnished.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I lived in Clover Hill for ten years and found it a fantastic place to live. One of the smaller estates with only around 80 houses and almost all are owner occupied so none rented out to undesirables. The nearest house to me with renters had a few Gardai living there which is always handy. Nice and quiet in there and no through traffic with a couple of greens areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Have you considered Cois Luachra? Fairly quiet with a few 3 & 4 bed duplexes for sale at reasonable prices.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Any views on foxfield?

While your use of the search tool is admirable, it's probably best to create a new thread. I'll split it off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement