Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish citizenship/naturalisation

• 24-05-2013 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

A question on the irish citizenship/naturalisation process. I'm Irish, my wife an EU national living in Ireland for the last 10 years and we've been married 5 years. We started the process back in 2011 and paid our €175 application fee. There was no mention of any other fees until today when she got accepted. €950 for irish citizenship/naturalisation. We're asking ourselves, what does this actually get us ? She's an EU citizen, so, she may need a visa to visit dubai or the US but i hardly think this is worth the €950 fee. Can anyone point out anything else that may be benefical in the long run ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Freddie Rincon

the fee would have been there online, hidden away. Would it make some processes easier in the future? I am thinking in terms of pensions , wills etc. The extra passport might give you different options. Who knows how the visa situation will be in 2 decades . it has changed a lot. If I was you I would do it if it was not too much of a financial hit. I work abroad and for some countries , the anglophone passport effects tax treaties and means we don't pay income tax for a year or two.

May be totally off the mark but these are some things i have seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Unless she wants to vote or become an Irish diplomat, I don't think there really is much benefit to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

A question on the irish citizenship/naturalisation process. I'm Irish, my wife an EU national living in Ireland for the last 10 years and we've been married 5 years. We started the process back in 2011 and paid our €175 application fee. There was no mention of any other fees until today when she got accepted. €950 for irish citizenship/naturalisation. We're asking ourselves, what does this actually get us ? She's an EU citizen, so, she may need a visa to visit dubai or the US but i hardly think this is worth the €950 fee. Can anyone point out anything else that may be benefical in the long run ?

Depends on which EU Nation your wife is from and which countries you want to travel to. Many (but not all) EU countries do not require a Visa (for example) for the USA.

Can anyone point out anything else that may be benefical in the long run ?

Do you think the EU is going to last?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Legislation is going to change that , to include non Irish for jury

At this time, there are no additional benefits to being Irish , if you hold Citizenship to another EU country.

Shouldn't a decision to become an Irish Citizen be more about wanting to be an Irish Citizen and buying into it's culture etc as oppose to mere Immigration Conveniences?

Shouldn't a decision to become an Irish Citizen be more about wanting to be an Irish Citizen and buying into it's culture etc as oppose to mere Immigration Conveniences?

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Unless she wants to vote or become an Irish diplomat, I don't think there really is much benefit to her.

Being able to vote would be high on my list of advantages of citizenship.

Some countries, by the way, don't generally allow dual citizenship. Have you checked whether that applies to you wife's native country? Having to give up her original citizenship might be a significant argument against acquiring a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BRonan

I know she is European and it may not matter, but can they strip someone of Irish citizenship?
    as I've never heard of it happening....

BRonan wrote: »
    I know she is European and it may not matter, but can they strip someone of Irish citizenship?
    as I've never heard of it happening....

If by "they" you mean the Irish government, yes, under limited circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 BRonan

Ok, the Government can strip her of citizenship, but in practical terms how often do they (the Government)?
    I've never heard of a case in which someone lost their Irish citizenship & it's been well documented that not everyone who got citizenship actually met the min requirements (I'm thinking of before the 'born on Irish soil' law changed.
    Anyone ever heard of this happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Advertisement