Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wires in attic need moving

Options
  • 25-05-2013 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

My father who's a carpenter is converting the attic at home. There's a slight problem in that there are a good few 1.5 and 2.5 cables in the way that need to be moved.

Obviously I could cut each cable and reconnect them using junction boxes but what's the correct procedure?

I myself am a qualified electrician but haven't worked much in the trade since I qualified a few years back.

I'd appreciate any advice

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭sgds

I wouldn't be too happy cutting & rejoining the cables as junction boxes can be a hazard for the long term if connections become loose.
    Would you think of counter battons on the joists ie 3 by 2 laths going the other way at 16in centres fixed onto existing joists before flooring. This way you may be able to lose the wires crossing over the joists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

sgds wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too happy cutting & rejoining the cables as junction boxes can be a hazard for the long term if connections become loose.
    Would you think of counter battons on the joists ie 3 by 2 laths going the other way at 16in centres fixed onto existing joists before flooring. This way you may be able to lose the wires crossing over the joists.
    that's the correct way of sorting that problem, I'd steer clear of the junction box route, unless you have no other option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

the jbs won't give any trouble if done properly

they're quite acceptable for alterations imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

No problem putting junction boxes in you're a competent electrician.

However if I were putting them in myself I'd pull back the cable to the edge of the room being created which I assume will have storage space running the length of it behind supporting wall.

If you put the junctions here you can fix any problems should a loose connection occur.

I'm open to correction but I don't think you're allowed to put a junction box in an inaccessible place but if it were in my own home I wouldn't be to bothered about that if it were impossible to do as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

sgds wrote: »

also losing 4 inches or so in ceiling height.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Also be extremely careful about pulling existing cables. There's generally no cable grips on junction boxes or sockets, switches, distribution boards, light fittings etc

If you give a cable a good pull, you can pull it out of the terminals and cause big problems.

Also remember they're solid copper wire, not strands, so they don't bend easily and can snap if you bend them too far it too much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    No problem putting junction boxes in you're a competent electrician.

However if I were putting them in myself I'd pull back the cable to the edge of the room being created which I assume will have storage space running the length of it behind supporting wall.

If you put the junctions here you can fix any problems should a loose connection occur.

I'm open to correction but I don't think you're allowed to put a junction box in an inaccessible place but if it were in my own home I wouldn't be to bothered about that if it were impossible to do as above.

yes they should be accessible

under floorboards is considered accessible but the location should be marked-i think that's an accurate interpretation of rules

as you say the crawl space will leave them more easily accessible

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Suggested solution . It is a bit of work but, as far as I know, the best way is to drill the joists approx. two thirds of the way up to minimise structural weakness.
    Hole diameter no bigger than necessary to permit the electrical cables to pass through.

It may be, as you suggested , an option to cut the cable, in order to facilitate the feed through through the holes. For some circuits, though this may be not necessary - may be possible to disconnect, for example at a ceiling light fitting and feed through the joists and then re-connect.

(I have heard that some people simply cut a groove in the upper part of the joists and sit the cable in - but this, I understand can weaken the structure- better, I think to drill at the two thirds level. (No need to tell you, of course, to isolate power before moving the cables)

Advertisement